Author Topic: Trestle Flooding  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Trestle Flooding
« on: August 01, 2004, 10:03:04 AM »
The following opinion appeared in the August 1, 2004 edition of The Record:

Regarding "Trestle is higher but not any drier" (Page L-1, July 27):

My question is how would the pumping of water under the trestle on River Street in Hackensack back into the Hackensack River alleviate flooding if the Hackensack River were overflowing.

That's like shoveling something against the tide, isn't it?

Mary Hauptman

I don't know the answer to this question, but I assume that the area around the trestle is lower than areas farther down stream.  The pump would move rain water (not river water) into the river that wouldn't naturally flow there.  I don't think river water collects under the trestle.

I'll try to get a better response. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:33:13 AM by Editor »

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 08:17:33 AM »
I seem to recall that when Costco was built, there was suppose to be money included to alleviate the flooding under the tressle.

Don't forget to thank your County officials too...

From the Record:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0NTkmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY1NjA1OTgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz

Bergen County was to provide about $2.1 million toward the project, while the state gave about $2 million for the trestle's construction. The city agreed to chip in $300,000.

The problem, city officials said, is that the county hasn't satisfied its commitment to pay $750,000 for the installation of a pumping system. The underground pumps would be next to the county Probation Department on River Street, said city project manager John Flannigan.

Pipes that would help bring the water to the Hackensack River have been installed, Flannigan said. But state grant programs that could have paid for the pump installation project have run out of money, said Gary Ascolese, county engineer. The county was forced to borrow the money, and that process takes longer, Ascolese said.

anything