Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 39592 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hurricane Sandy
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
http://www.ydr.com/weather/ci_21874783/n-j-hunkers-down-approach-hurricane-sandy

High tide in New York Harbor is at 9 p.m. Monday. Areas along the lower Hackensack and Passaic rivers - places like Hackensack, Little Ferry and Paterson - could see tidal flooding cresting as much as 6 1/2 feet above high tide if the storm's surge comes then, said Philip Orton of the Stevens Institute of Technology Storm Surge Warning System. That would break an 80-year record, he said.

Let's hope not.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:18:49 PM by BLeafe »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »
Not much to see from here so far other than the Sears flag straightened out by the wind and reporters on TV all over the area, including Channel 7's (WABC-TV) Jen Maxfield in front of Target at 11:25am and in front of Costco 2 hours later ("...on River Road", she said).

In the last picture, a large vehicle is splashing through water behind her.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
From northjersey.com, here.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
Between 3:00 and 3:30pm - while I was sitting at my computer - I heard a big thump . It sounded like someone dropped something very heavy in the apartment below me. Five minutes later, I went into my kitchen and saw this on my roof.

The wind was gusty, but not very strong and it was barely raining (the weather was calm enough for me to go out on the roof to shoot this), but somehow, part of this concrete wall between my section of the roof and the rest of it was blown over.

Old age, I guess.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »
typical of the record to post a picture of something that happened two years ago, which is when the flooded car was photographed on River st under the railroad bridge.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Hurricane Sandy/Curfew
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »
From City's site: http://www.hackensack.org/controls/eventview.aspx?MODE=SINGLE&ID=680

Hurricane Information for Hackensack Residents:

The City of Hackensack is in a declared disaster area.

Hackensack Police will be enforcing a mandatory curfew from 6pm to 6am, from Tuesday, October 30 until Monday, November 5, 2012.

All City of Hackensack offices and Hackensack Schools are closed until further notice.

Garbage collection remains suspended.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:35:10 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Hurricane Sandy/During the Hurricane
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Obviously, I couldn't open any windows to get clear shots and I was limited in what I could shoot when it was raining, but I did get a couple of interesting pictures.

1. The first one is the shot of the event as far as I'm concerned. From my living room, I saw this across the river on North St in Teaneck. Although it looks like a big blaze, no house was burning - just amazing sparking after a tree fell and took down wires and a transformer with it (I went there today and got the info from residents who still have no power).

But the way the light shot upward made the scene look like some sort of volcano. You can see the eastern horizon behind it. Very fortunately for me, it wasn't raining at the time.

2. Later, when it was raining and the wind was howling, the moon popped out. It just seemed so out of place that I had to get a shot of it. The clouds are blurry and the horizon is too bright because it's a 10-second exposure.

3. It was like the 4th of July for transformer explosions that night - I saw dozens of them in every direction. I've never seen anything like that before.

It's difficult to capture stills of them because they happen so quickly, but I shot a lot of time exposures that night and accidentally caught two of them, including this Hackensack one.

I was taking a shot to show much of Hackensack in the dark, including some hi-rises and not others. During this 6-second exposure, a transformer exploded just north of this scene at 10:46pm.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Hurricane Sandy/The Day After
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
(I was in the middle of entering the images last night when my building lost power. It just came back on.)

This is what I saw from my apartment, roof, and on a short walk around the nabe:

1. This is a closeup through a window during the storm of a police flare left at the dark intersection of Union and Passaic streets. It's actually from the night before, but I forgot to add it to that post.

2. The first thing I saw when I looked out the window the next morning was this potted plant at the State St entrance of the E municipal parking lot.

3+4. I didn't have to look far for downed trees/limbs - straight down for one and then to the left for the other.

5. The Gentile Funeral Home and Sears flags had a rough night.

6. This was taken straight down from the roof.

7. A group of large pink hippos herded together to ride out the storm in the Sears parking lot.

8. Obstructed path in Anderson Park..............and right by a "No littering or dumping" sign (Sandy is reading-impaired).

9. It took me a while to figure out that these lights I would occasionally see in cars in the parking lot were tablets being recharged by the car's battery.

10. This picture is out of focus, but I'm posting it because it's the only time Hackensack and the One World Trade Center building (and lower Manhattan) were both dark. The Empire State Building is lit up on the left and you may be able to make out 1WTC in the center. A fire truck traveling down State St is the only Hackensack light in this image (Note: I saw 1WTC's lights on a half-hour ago, but now they're off again).

The power for my area came back on a little after 9pm.

One oddity I noticed throughout Monday and Tuesday nights was that the Passaic St traffic lights at Linden and First St and a few nearby sign lights were always on while everything surrounding them was dark.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:40:00 AM by BLeafe »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »
Obama declares Bergen County disaster area, allowing some areas to receive aid
Thursday, November 1, 2012    Last updated: Thursday November 1, 2012, 2:58 PM
BY  MONSY ALVARADO
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Bergen County has been added to President Obama’s major disaster declaration, allowing areas impacted by Sandy to receive federal aid as they restore storm ravaged homes and businesses, U. S. Bill Pascrell announced Thursday.

High winds from Hurricane Sandy felled trees across the state, like this one in River Edge, Wednesday, Oct. 31. “I thank President Obama for amending his original federal disaster declaration as a result of Superstorm Sandy to now include Bergen County," said Rep. Pascrell, who submitted a letter of support to President Obama requesting federal assistance in Bergen County.  "Bergen County was one of the hardest hit regions in northern New Jersey, with many victims still without power or access to their homes due to extraordinary flooding in the region.”

Passaic County has not been added to the list, said Tom Pietrykoski, Pascrell’s spokesman.

“We will continue to push for Passaic to be added,’’ he said.

Days after the Sandy devastated the area, getting into New York City Thursday morning was a nightmare and getting gas was nearly impossible. And most North Jersey residents who went to bed without power still didn’t have any in the morning. More supermarkets began to reopen, but ice and other necessities are likely to remain scarce.

The only bright spot Thursday morning was an announcement by NBC Universal that it will broadcast a one-hour telethon and concert Friday night to benefit Hurricane Sandy relief operations. Among those scheduled to perform are Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and Billy Joel. The morning show’s co-host Matt Lauer will be the host. But a lot of North Jersey residents without power won’t be able to watch it.

More motorists were on the roads, and backups at the Lincoln Tunnel and George Washington Bridge, which extended onto I95 and 80 into Teaneck were reported at rush hour. Hundreds of cars made their way to area gas stations and waited to fuel up along Routes 17, 46, 4, and 3 as well as the Garden State Parkway, in some cases exacerbating traffic jams. Even a closed Sunoco station on Route 3 westbound drew drivers, who waited in their cars in the station’s parking lot, and along the highway in anticipation of a gasoline delivery.

Drivers from New Jersey are facing hour-plus delays to Manhattan. Lincoln Tunnel approaches backed up past the Turnpike Exit 16 toll booths beyond the western spur entrance to the roadway on Route 3. Motorists using the George Washington Bridge will have similar delays, police from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Wednesday that East River bridges and the Lincoln Tunnel will be restricted to vehicles carrying at least three occupants from 6 a.m. to midnight today. A checkpoint at the George Washington Bridge was put up by the New York Police Department by mistake, tweeted Howard Glaser, director of operations for the state of New York and an adviser to Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Public Service & Electric Co., the state’s largest utility, reported that about 781,000 of its customers were still without power., a decrease from the 818,000 it said were in the dark Wednesday night. Fran Sullivan, a spokesman for the utility, said at the height of the outages, 1.7 million customers were without power, a number that has been recently revised after assessing damage and additional customers reporting their service was impacted. The utility forecasts that the majority of impacted customers will be restored within the next seven to 10 days.

Sullivan said crews continue to work through the night to remove trees, fix downed power lines, and clean substations.

Gov. Chris Christe is scheduled to be in Moonachie at 3 p.m. today to tour the storm damage and flooding, before visiting with first responders and volunteers at Volunteer Headquarters on Moonachie Avenue. The governor will also hold a briefing afterward.

Moonachie and neighboring Little Ferry were inundated with several feet of water after a massive tidal surge overwhelmed the Meadowlands flood control systems, propelling the Hackensack River to spill into the low lying communities. Rescue teams had to evacuate 820 residents in both communities, according to information posted on the Little Ferry’s Facebook page.

Construction code officials from towns across Bergen County are expected to fan out and inspect houses in Little Ferry and Moonachie that received the most water, to determine whether they are safe to live in, said Jeanne Baratta, spokesperson for Bergen County Executive Kathleen Donovan.

Displaced homeowners wondered when they will be able to go home and get back to normalcy.

When more than six feet of water rushed into the Little Ferry home of Caren Remsa in the early morning hours Tuesday, she grabbed a change of clothes and fled. She was taken to a county shelter by first responders that night, and since then has been staying at a friend’s house in Old Tappan.

On Wednesday, she entered her home on Sabina Street, and found nine feet of water in her basement. It filled her daughter’s bedroom, and surrounded her water heater, clothes washer and dryer. Everything was destroyed, she said.

Remsa, an Englewood Hospital nurse, returned this morning and began to try and dry out.

“It’s horrible, it’s not going to be livable for months, months, and months,” she said.

The lifelong Little Ferry resident said when Irene battered the region last year, only eight inches seeped into her Cape. Now she’ll have to figure out what to do to get her home back.

Menendez and Senator Frank R. Lautenberg announced Thursday that the federal government will cover 100 percent, instead of the standard 75 percent, of the costs of emergency power and public transportation expenses through Nov. 9 in eight of the New Jersey counties covered under the federal disaster declaration. They said the funds will help in the cleanup and recovery effort.

The U.S. Department of Labor also announced that it had approved a request by Christie for areas impacted by the storm to qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance. The program is available for people, in and around portions of New Jersey that were declared a federal disaster area, who were living or working in the counties affected at the time of the disaster, and who are unemployed as a direct result of the damages caused by the storm.

Another day without working refrigerators, televisions, and lights had some town officials and residents in Bergen and Passaic county frustrated.

In Cresskill, most of the town is out of power and could be for another week. Borough officials complained that they couldn’t get through Orange and Rockland Utilities, the town’s service provider, to find out when service will resume. Councilwoman Kathy Savas blamed the delay on a substation of Con Ed which was disabled and the fact that the utility company has to take care of customers in Brooklyn and other cities in addition to Northern New Jersey.

Cleanups continued throughout the county, where large trash bins were placed along streets most devastated by the storms. First responders also continued to collect donations for those impacted by the floods.

In Lyndhurst, the Police Department sent out an announcement asking for bleach and cleaning product donations for affected residents .

School children in Ho-Ho-Kus, Paramus, Rochelle Park, Maywood and other communities remained at home, unable to go to schools plagued by the massive outage. The New Jersey Teachers Education Association canceled its two day teachers’ conference scheduled for next week in Atlantic City. The NJEA is the state’s largest teachers’ union.

The Bergen County Courthouse remained closed Thursday.

Newark Liberty International, John F. Kennedy, and La Guardia airports were open but with limited service. Travelers were urged to call airlines and check their flight status before going to the airport.

Staff Writer Deena Yellin, Tariq Zehawi and Shawn Boburg contributed to this article, which contains information from wire services.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:06:53 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
During Sandy, Hackensack residents sought out shelters
Thursday November 1, 2012, 4:45 PM
BY  MARC LIGHTDALE
STAFF WRITER
Hackensack Chronicle

HACKENSACK - Many residents were displaced due to the large tidal surges from the Hackensack River in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, according to fire officials.

TOM HART/PHOTO

A vehicle is left stranded on River Road in Hackensack on Oct. 30. There was one fatality on Tuesday morning a South Hackensack resident left his home and drove his vehicle into the floods of water on South River Street, where he drowned, authorities said, declining to release the name.

In addition, a firefighter was injured by a falling tree limb on Monday morning. He was struck in the face and shoulder and needed 16 stitches.

During the storm there were a total of 175 emergency calls, which included fire, electrical lines and water rescues.

Fire Chief Tom Freeman said there was major flooding in Hackensack. While the city did not experience heavy rain, the tidal surges, which started in the Raritan Bay, ended up in the Hackensack River and forcing water up River, Hudson and Main streets.

The first surge raised the water level by five feet, and waters rose closer to eight to 10 feet as the storm continued and winds reached upward of 74 miles per hour, fire officials said.

The flooding from the tidal surges hit the southeast quadrant hard, officials said, adding that Fairleigh Dickinson University, including Woodridge Streets and Van Orden Place, experienced flooding.

There were more than 200 rescues of people from homes and cars around River, Main, and Hudson streets.

"People tried to prepare for this on their own," said John Niland, fire department captain and OEM official. "The people were not ready for the magnitude of this storm."

Niland said there was a shelter at the Hackensack Civic Center on State Street were residents were first taken before they were transported from the Center to a Red Cross shelter at Bergen Community College in Paramus, where they were able to take showers, have hot meals and getting checked out with medical staff. At one point, there were a total of 105 people at the Bergen Community College shelter, officials said.

Leonardo and Maria Franco, along with their daughter Keren, found safety at the Bergen Community College shelter after being evacuated from their Hudson Street home along with their Labrador retriever, Blessing.

"We got transported by boat first and then we got onto a bus," Keren said. "It was very scary but now I'm getting used to it."

The family estimated that waters near their home were about 4 to 5 feet high, and they required a boat to get out of the flooded area around 9 p.m. Monday night.

"The people are treating us very well," Leonardo Franco said. "I told my wife we had to evacuate, we waited a little bit because we didn't think it would be so bad."

Joel Carpenter, who came home Sunday night to find flooding near the South River Street shelter at which he was staying, said he was "extremely shocked" to find the flood waters near five feet, adding he didn't really feel the impact until he saw five blocks filled with water.

"They've been amazing, the sleeping area is fine, there's plenty of security, it's absolutely a blessing," Carpenter said of the shelter.

Niland said that many trees damaged homes in Hackensack in addition to the flooding. The need for gasoline caused a line a mile long to form at a gas station on Passaic Street.

PSE&G is estimating a minimum of four more days without power as of Nov. 1.

Email: lightdale@northjersey.com or call 201-894-6706

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
Hackensack will not prevent stores from opening this Sunday
Friday, November 2, 2012
BY  JOAN VERDON
STAFF WRITER
The Record

A one-time waiver to help replenish supplies in the storm wake.

The havoc wreaked by Hurricane Sandy has caused at least one Bergen County municipality to set aside temporarily enforcement of Sunday blue laws to give residents another day to shop for supplies they need to restock their homes.

Hackensack will allow stores to be open this Sunday.

"We wanted to allow people access to goods, food, different things that they may need in this situation that we’re in," said Hackensack Mayor Michael Melfi.

Hackensack City Manager Steve Lo Iacono said the city does not have the authority to suspend the county blue laws, but it can choose not to enforce them if warranted.

"Our residents have been through a difficult time, and if they need to go out and buy something, I want them to be able to," Lo Iacono said. He said he didn’t know which retailers might decide to open on Sunday, but said he expected Home Depot would.

A spokesman for The Shops at Riverside in Hackensack said the mall management doesn’t know yet what it will do on Sunday.

A spokesman for Bergen County Executive Kathleen Donovan said that he did not know of any plans for a countywide suspension of the blue laws.

Paramus Mayor Richard LaBarbiera said the borough has no plans to allow Sunday shopping, but that it might allow parts of the malls to open for recharging stations, Internet access and food service.

Email: verdon@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »
Hackensack won't enforce Blue Laws on Sunday; '
We have our hands full,' official says

Friday November 2, 2012, 1:03 PM
BY  CAESAR DARIAS
CORRESPONDENT
Hackensack Chronicle
HACKENSACK - The city manager said that the municipality would not enforce the Blue Laws on Nov. 4 giving residents a chance to stock up on any needed supplies.

TOM HART/PHOTO

Main Street in Hackensack on Oct. 30. The city manager said on Thursday that the municipal government would not enforce the Blue Laws Nov. 4 giving residents more time to stock up on supplies.

"We did it primarily to give our citizens the ability to go out and buy essential items that they may need and not have to worry about the stores being closed because it's Sunday - batteries, blankets, generators, if they can find them," said City Manager Stephen Lo Ianoco in an interview on Friday.

"I'm not giving stores permission to remain open," said Lo Ianoco. "I don't have the power to do that. I'm just informing everybody that we will not enforce the blue laws," which, according to Lo Ianoco are enforced by local authorities.

"That essentially gives them the ability to open up," Lo Ianoco said. "I've already been told that Home Depot will remain open and that's exactly what I was hoping to accomplish. That's the kind of store that I had in mind."

According to Lo Ianoco, as stores open, the city is inspecting electrical panels and informing business owners that they may open on Sunday without legal consequences.

"Food is also an issue," Lo Ianoco said. "There are very, very few food places open. People are scrambling to get food and that's going to get worse unless you get some power turned on here so some of these stores can open up."

The city, like much of the Mid-Atlantic region, has been slowly recovering since Hurricane Sandy ripped through the region earlier this week.

"We have our hands full," said Lo Ianoco, who is negotiating major hurdles in the wake of Sandy.

"We're dealing with a significant part of the city still without power," said the man who runs the county seat, with a population of more than 43,000 residents. "People who were previously not requesting sheltering are looking to be sheltered now because they have no heat. The sheltering [number] is increasing rather than decreasing."

During an interview this morning, Lo Ianoco said that decreasing fuel supplies "is a major issue, a major concern, a big problem. We have enough fuel at this point to power our emergency vehicles but the issue that concerns us now is we're beginning to lose manpower because we have employees who can't get here because they can't get fuel. The city offices are open but we're on mostly generator power."

Although flooding has subsided, according to Lo Ianoco, downed trees and power lines are still a concern. "We have been relatively successful in getting just about any of the trees that were impacting roadways down," the city manager said. However, several intersections are still affected.

Herman Street and Catalpa Avenue, Louis Street and Catalpa Avenue, Poplar Avenue and Krone Place, Pine Street and Fairmount Avenue, Grand Avenue and Poplar Avenue and Euclid Avenue and Prospect Avenue still have downed trees that have not been removed.

"I can't touch them until I can get PSE&G here because we need to make sure those wires are de-powered," Lo Ianoco explained. "Department of Public Works personnel are working 16-hour days and guys are getting burned. We've got to get them some rest."

To help maintain public order, the city has imposed curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

"It's not a situation where if you're on the way to a drug store to pick up medication we're going to arrest you," said Lo Ianoco "It gives the police the ability to question. If there's a legitimate reason for being out, that's fine. But we want to keep the bad guys off the street. We want to keep the kids off the street. & Part of that was also for Halloween. We didn't want anybody even thinking about trick or treating."

Lo Ianoco said there has been no increase in crime. According to Lo Ianoco, there has been only one arrest for attempted auto theft. No more details were available about the incident.

Lo Ianoco expressed concern about maintaining city services. "Yesterday was the start of a tax collection period," he said. "It's slower and more difficult. I already lost one girl in that office because she can't get here. She doesn't have gas. So all of the municipal operations are impacted to one degree or another."

While the city appears to coping, the immediate outlook appears bleak.

"All in all, it's a pretty difficult situation we're in right now," said Lo Ianoco. "The flooding has receded. Although if you listen to the weather forecast we have a potential problem on the horizon for mid-week next week. With the level of the river, that can only exacerbate the problem."

Email: hackensack@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Hurricane Sandy (Videos)
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
Foschini Park after Sandy:

From Prospect:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:48:03 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Hurricane Sandy (Videos)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »
YouTube Description: DESPUES DEL HURACAN SANDY (HACKENSACK MAIN ST SIN LUZ)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:53:07 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »
On a cold day, Hackensack church provides hot meals, supplies to Hurricane Sandy victims
Thursday November 8, 2012, 5:30 PM
BY  STEPHANIE NODA
STAFF WRITER
Hackensack Chronicle

HACKENSACK - Hot meals and emergency supplies were offered to city victims of Hurricane Sandy today at the Rhema Worship Center as part of an initiative called "Operation Rescue."

BERNADETTE MARCINIAK/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Joyce Kittrell gives Lacrecia McFadden a bowl of soup on Nov. 2 at Rhema Worship Center's 'Operation Rescue.' Volunteers provide Hurricane Sandy victims with hot food and supplies.

BERNADETTE MARCINIAK/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Paul Coates, Terry Hash and Jasohn McGee unload a trailer filled with donated items.

"We wanted to show that we care," said Zuumah Gayemen, administrative assistant for the church. "For the people that are still without power, this is a great way to serve the community. We feel the people of Hackensack will appreciate our mission of love and action."

This rescue effort came to fruition after an imminent need to feed city residents became apparent following the aftermath of the storm, since many of the grocery stores had no power.

"When power came back on, we realized we had to be able to continue to feed the community," said Pastor Eric Brewer of Rhema Worship Center.

After Sandy hit the Northeast causing widespread power outages throughout New Jersey, the church acted as safe haven for many community members, including approximately 20 residents who lived in the facility throughout the storm, said Pastor Holly Brewer, who founded the Rhema Worship Center with her husband Eric.

"At least 10 families were here at a time," said Holly. "They practically moved in with their families because 50 percent of the city was without power. We felt there was a need for the church to open up its doors for people to come in to have a warm meal and somewhere to lay their heads down."

While volunteers at the church poured hot soup for the victims during "Operation Rescue", free boxes of non-perishable food and supplies, including blankets, diapers and other essential products for infants were available for those lacking essential supplies.

"This can help our families get back in business after the devastation of such a horrific hurricane that we're not used to here in New Jersey," said Holly.

"Disaster Pastor" Jerry Davis, a representative from the Christian World Embassy, helped facilitate transporting these items, which were collected during a food drive at Woodlands Church in Houston, Texas. Using his networking, he was able to provide shipments to Sandy victims in Hackensack, and displaced residents from areas in New York City.

"We know that people need the physical resources in order to meet their daily needs," said Davis. "They're hurting on that. But we also, as churches and pastors, know there is a spiritual need that people have. They need hope."

Everlia Symister, who lived without power for eight days, was forced to throw out an entire freezer worth of food. She was grateful to the members of Rhema Worship Center for offering a place for those like herself to have a place to get warm food.

"A lot of people lost a lot of stuff," said Symister. "It's a good thing [the church is doing]."

Joyce Kittrell, a volunteer at Rhema Worship Center who poured soup for many of the attendees, was happy to serve members of her community in need.

"This is a way of showing your love," said Kittrell. "This is part of my church. We believe in sharing and showing love during a time like this."

Email: noda@northjersey.com or call 201-894-6703

anything