Author Topic: Old green building on East Kansas St.  (Read 15431 times)

Offline dave

• View Profile
Old green building on East Kansas St.
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:59:59 AM »
Does anybody know the history of the old green building on East Kansas St. between Hudson and River St.? I think it may have been a slaughterhouse years ago.
http://www.vpike.com/?place=74+hudson+st.+hackensack%2C+nj

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Re: Old green building on East Kansas St.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
I know there was a halfway house there in the 80's....is it the same building?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
The ugly green thing is one of many buildings in Hackensack that is owned by Nigito Realty, located in River Edge.  The family hails from Hackensack, but the children own the business now I think, and I doubt they still live here.  They only own 2 buildings that they put some effort into maintaining, one is 333 Park St, and the other is a 3-story apartment on the north side of Essex, just east of Rowland Ave.

Some of Nigito's worst properties include the NE corner Prospect and Essex, most of the northern block of Fair Street, 2 old buildings at SW corner of Second and Beech, and one on Prospect Ave just north of the HUMC entrance.  And I think they still own most of the apartments bounded by Main, Anderson, River St, and Ward St. 

They own the entire corner of Hudson and East Kansas.  Two other very old houses also painted one entire color.  I think one is blue, one is yellow.  That's the hallmark of a slumlord.  Most people paint the exterior trim another color, sometimes white, or sometimes a darker color than that house. The purpose of trim is to stand out and dress up the curb appeal of a house.  It's cheapest to hire a bunch of unlicensed workers to paint a house all one color, so the worst landlords go that route.

Offline dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:37:07 AM »
Yes, it was the building that used to be a halfway house in the '80s. I remember my father saying it was once a slaughterhouse. One of those two boarded up houses around the corner on Hudson St. used to be a funeral parlor years ago. I think it was named Wolak funeral home.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
I drove past there sunday, noticed all the buildings on that part of East Kansas have all been leveled

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
few years already

anything