Author Topic: Hackensack Painting  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Painting
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:33 AM »
I found this in my travels here: http://www.spraygraphic.com/ViewProject/1404/normal.html

by Charles Tang

Any idea where the vantage point is?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Painting
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
Essex Street. Maybe near 2nd Street or a bit higher.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
I believe that the vantage point rests within the artist's artistic license. As a point of reference, visualize yourself standing on the top of the tallest HUMC building facing east with the Widnall Towers building on the right side of your field of view. That building is shown on the right side of the painting at the center. Now look to the left. At the extreme left of the painting looks like a Prospect Avenue high rise. That building would be behind the viewer and not in the vicinity of City Hall  where it looks like it is located.
Curiously the artist shows the  Citicorp  building in Manhattan at it's correct location  but otherwise the painting appears to be a collage--- especially the farm like setting  on the upper left side.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
I think the building on the extreme left is the tall seniors building on Kansas Street, I am most sure about that.  I think on the extreme right is the senior building on Polifly Road.  That would mean the painting was painted before the Kaplan midrise apt. building was built, the one behind RiteAid.  The buildings in the foreground are the old brick apartments on Newman Street between Sussex and Essex.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:25:58 AM by just watching »

Offline Prospect Avenue Coalition

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
The artist, Charles Tang, lives on Prospect Avenue near Beech and here is the other view:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctang/494355248/in/set-6833

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:36:09 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
Yep.  I'm starting to think the picture posted was painted from the mid-rise apartment next to Arena Diner.  That would bring in all the buildings.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »
130 overlook would be the vantage point.  the buildings at bottom left are 265 and 275 beech st.  right center is 65 first st.  60 kansas is left center, 211 essex is just below right of that. the church on Vreeland at the off ramp is mid center left.  the projects on Newman st are lower center.  one thing that is off is that the buildings at 175 Railroad and 164 beech st are low mid left, they would really be out of the normal field of vision.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:23 PM »
I'll concede on that, thanks irons35. 

The 265 and 275 Beech I had thought were the old buildings on Lehigh and Newman Streets. 

I also think the artist drew some buildings above 265 Beech that don't exist.  I see the two seniors buildings, offset, at the NW corner of Beech and RR Ave, but the number of stories and windows across are both short, and what's that right behind them ?