Author Topic: Hackensack Postcards Video  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Postcards Video
« on: February 01, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
This is great.  For other towns in Bergen County, visit:
#g/u

YouTube Description: Each episode of "Greetings from Bergen County" features a collection of vintage postcards from one of the county's 70 municipalities.
Welcome to Hackensack. Population 17,667 (in 1920).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:04:51 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: Hackensack Postcards Video
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
Oh, boy - roycrofter. There's a name I remember well from doing battle with him on eBay for postcards a dozen years ago or so.

It was never easy.............I lost a lot of auctions to him. If he entered an auction, I could pretty well kiss that card goodbye.

But he had a benevolent side, as I found out later. When Bob Griffin was president of the Bergen County Historical Society, there was some image auction he tried to win, but didn't - another roycrofter victory.

But Bob emailed him and explained who he was and why BCHS needed the image in its database. Roycrofter was kind enough to send him a scan of the image gratis (Editor, take note).

There are about a half-dozen images in that video that I've never seen before. Unfortunately, the information was cropped out in the video on some of them, so I still don't know what they are.

However, the very last image is the card from the 30s that was taken from high up in the Peoples Trust Bank Building. That's the image I was looking for to compare with the new one I took.

Comparing them now, it's easy to see that the old photo was NOT taken from the very top. It looks about of equal height to the 40s/50s one I posted.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:33:54 PM »
Man behind 'Greetings from Bergen County'

Friday March 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
BY STACEY ROSENFELD
STAFF WRITER
South Bergenite

He may live on the West Coast, but his heart belongs to Bergen County

Brian Cornish uses old postcards to create videos on Bergen County.

Growing up as a child in Bergen County, Brian Cornish would save the postcards he received from friend's and family's travels. With his child-like imagination, he envisioned what the places their images depicted were really like, and treasured them as snapshots of distinct places in time. From Cornish's posy of childhood postcards was born a collection of vintage postcards which amass the history of Bergen County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Throughout his youth, Cornish lived first in Palisades Park, then Teaneck and Fair Lawn, and finally Ramsey, where he attended high school. Fascinated with old buildings, Cornish often wondered what the towns he called home looked like when the antiquated structures were first erected.

Finding visual answers in the postcards he would purchase at New Jersey antique shops, Cornish's curiosity led him to aggregate a collection of more than 2,500 vintage postcards, each depicting images of Bergen County from the late 1890s to the 1960s. His collection includes postcards of nearly every town in the county.

The "Golden Age of Postcards" lasted from 1907-1915 and ended right before World War I. Until 1915, the postcards were made in Germany and were of photographic quality. According to Cornish, after that time "the visual quality markedly diminished."

Cornish's vast collection of postcards made the cross-country trek with him when he relocated to northern California in the mid-1990s. A now retired software developer residing in San Jose, CA, Cornish, 49, pondered what he could do with the vast collection that had lain dormant in binders for many years.

In the current era of social networking and the resultant ability to reach vast audiences with nary a click on the computer, YouTube has become a viable, if not preferred, method of sharing multimedia information.

Cornish, who deems YouTube "a great medium in which to share common interests," began to assemble his postcards in November 2011, so that when viewed in succession, they created beautiful video slideshows set to music and depicting the early history of Bergen County's distinct towns.

The videos play as individual, historic tributes to each town in Bergen County. Since he began this process, Cornish completed unique videos for 65 of Bergen County's 70 towns. He continues to work on the remaining five towns, saving Ramsey, which promises to be the most extensive video, for last.

In his video, "Greetings from Bergen County: Rutherford," set to the music of Musica Antiqua Köln & Reinhard Goebel, Cornish takes viewers on a tour of circa the early 1900s. Sites gone from Rutherford's backdrop include the Wakefield Hotel, Union Avenue Bridge and the Union Club. Carlstadt includes photos of the old Turn Hall and the City Theater. The Lyndhurst video, set to the sounds of Springsteen, includes postcards of the old swimming pool and the yacht club. Old photos of a Viaduct and reservoir are highlights of the North Arlington video, set to the music of Mateo Messina. East Rutherford's tribute includes the bleachery and the pond near it, and an old plant nursery. All videos reveal once tree-lined streets with Victorian homes and many show town parades.

Living in California, Cornish continues to acquire New Jersey vintage postcards largely through eBay. In fact, the retired software developer has transformed this hobby to his occupation by opening his own eBay store, focusing on the trade of vintage books and postcards.

Cornish said, "I hope the videos provide viewers with an innovative, historic peek at the towns they love and call home."

All of Cornish's videos may be found by visiting YouTube.com and typing "Greetings from Bergen County" in the search bar.

Jaimie Winters contributed to this article.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
STUPENDOUS !!!

And presumably set to contemporary music from the era.  Well worth the 10 minutes, and a great many images I never saw.

Offline longcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
these postcards are very interesting. I didn't see the factory that my father's family owned though. My father's family were the Martini's and the Krone's. The Krone Factory produced school supplies in Fairmount. I am very curious about how the Krone Brothers managed to purchase the land from Godfrey N. Zingsem who was apparently broke after 1875-6. From the information I have gleaned and searched, Zingsem had a ?daughter, who married a Krone and that is how and why the exchanged worked out. I haven't been able to find anything at all about poor Zingsem who apparently was quite famous and wealthy for a while, but who has barely a footnote in history because of his financial failings.   

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
Zingsem was a neighborhood in what was later called the Fairmount section of Hackensack. Its one-time Postmaster, Godfrey N. Zingsem, was a landscape architect of note who set out many of the shade trees in this section. He also did a portion of the planning and tree planting in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia.

Zingsem Postal Service—The Zingsem Post Office was established 27 July 1891 with John N.Wheeler as the first
Postmaster. Possibly due to a misspelling or misreading of the handwritten name, the name of the post office had been recorded as Lingsem on 27 July 1891. It was changed to the Zingsem Post Office on 21 August 1891. Other early Zingsem postmasters included Godfrey N. Zingsem (appointed 21 Aug 1891) and Emma DeVoe (13 July 1895). The Post Office was located at the corner of Temple Avenue and Main Street; the Post Office building was later moved a short distance and used as a real estate office. The Zingsem Post Office was discontinued 21 Jan 1896, with its mail to be handled by Hackensack Post Office.

Source: A Dictionary of Place Names in Bergen County, New Jersey and Vicinity
The only other building from there to Spring Valley was the old fire house of the Union Hose Company (photo #11) located directly across from the present fire house. On the northwest cerner of Main and Spring Valley stood the home of Stroeble. At the exact point where this house stands was once the driveway entrance to the huge Zingsem estate. The driveway was lined with cedars and wound its way to the western end of Martin Terrace here once was situated the impressive residence ef G.N. Zingsem, a hotel-Ilke structure, porched on three sides and consisting of about twenty rooms.. In addition to other lands which he owned in Fairmount, his estate extended from First Street, (Krone Place) to Main Street and from Catalpa Avenue to Springvalley Avenue. His home and much of his property was purchased in later years by H. Krone, about 1880.

Source: Fairmount 1915, but George Scudder

Death notice here.

GODFREY NICHOLAS ZINGSEM
Hackensack, July 30 (Special).—Godfrey Nicholas Zingsem died this morning In the Hackensack Hospital, where he was being treated for paresis. When Mr. Zingsem came to Hackensack he had a large fortune, made in the silver-plating business.

He invested heavily in real estate and started the village of Fairmont, now a part of Hackensack, but a flaw in the title involved him in expensive litigation, culminating in his financial ruin.

Mr. Zingsem subsequently devoted his time to landscape gardening, being employed in several parks and private grounds. He was a native of Germany, and when a young man was a partner with his father in the woollen business in New York. He was seventy-four years old.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:20:13 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »
There is more information about Godfrey Zingsem on the Bergen County Historical Society Message Boards here:
http://bergencountyhistory.org/forums/index.php/topic,1099.msg1745.html