Author Topic: 2013 Election  (Read 102655 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: 2013 Election
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:42 AM »
For anyone counting, I've posted 5 election news articles including the one below: 2 for each main ticket and 1 about the four incumbents not running again.

In the interests of fairness and to promote greater awareness of the candidates, I am including a link to the Citizens for Change website.

Photo Courtesy: Hackensack Coalition for Open Government Jason Nunnermacker, Kenneth Martin, Joanne Mania Colon, Joseph Barreto and Scott Young.

Kenneth Martin, Jason Nunnermacker, Joanne Mania Colon, Joseph Barreto and Scott Young have more than 400 signed petitions declaring their bid for Hackensack City Council. On March 1, the five members of the Hackensack Coalition for Open Government gathered at City Hall as a united team to formalize their intention to run in the May 14 election.

“We are dedicated to improving the quality of life for the citizens of Hackensack,” said Martin, a retired Hackensack police officer. “In addition to implementing our own plans for the improvement of our community we look forward to meeting with our residents to learn what it is on their list of concerns as well.”

The team has pledged transparency in city government. They took the opportunity to unveil their 10-point plan for open government.

• Formally adopt the Local Open Government Principles.
• Establish a local ethics board to monitor and review actions of city officials and employees in regard to conflicts of interest and other ethical violations.
• Establish a Citizen Complaint Review Board to offer residents an alternate route in reporting unsatisfactory dealings with city departments.
• Establish a Civil Litigation Review Board to assess the validity of claims against the city and review the related city policies and procedures.
• Publish proposed ordinances on our city Web site along with the opportunity for online public comment.
• Create a process on our city Website, www.Hackensack.org to allow for online petitions concerning local issues of interest and concern.
• Require representatives of city departments to attend public council meetings to report on activities and answer questions from residents.
• Issue monthly reports to residents describing the significant issues and activities for that month.
• Televise city council meetings.
• Re-establish and promote City Hall office hours so that residents can seek the help and services of their city council.

“We plan to announce our team’s position on the other very significant issues and challenges facing our community as this campaign progresses,” said Campaign Manager Roger Mattei.

Another slate, Hackensack Citizens for Change, comprised of John Labrosse, Kathy Canestrino, David Sims, Rose Greenman and Leonardo Battaglia, filed on Feb. 28.

Related Topic: Civilian Complaint Review Board (though I think the focus here was the Police Dept., not all city departments).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:11:24 AM by Editor »

Offline Weegee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
Just curious.  Has the "other" slate of 5 candidates been featured in this "community" newspaper previous to this issue? 

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
It remains to be seen how open the Hackensack Coalition for Open Government will be concerning the candidates' main supporter, Lynne Hurwitz, the Democratic Party chairwoman who was the power behind Ken Zisa, the disgraced former police chief and assemblyman.

And although the editor has reprinted articles from The Record on the two slates long before they filed, he or she has not written anything about my candidacy.

The Record will not publish a story about my candidacy because I am not part of an organized slate, Staff Writer Hannan Adely explained. Calls to Steven McCarthy, her assignment editor, were not returned.

I am confident I will be able to get enough signatures by the March 11 deadline to get on the ballot. As a reminder, I will be at the Dunkin' Donuts on Passaic Street from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday to meet voters.

Cheers,
Victor E. Sasson

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
I do not write news stories.  Your candidacy/platform announcement appears in this topic thread as well as your replies. If and when there is a news article about you, you will find it here.

You have also used this site to campaign almost daily since you joined. I think this site has afforded you plenty of exposure.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:44:51 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 06:35:26 AM »
vsasson has alleged that Lynne Hurwitz was the power behind Ken Zisa.  Anyone who has a political recollection going back to the 1980's or earlier will laugh at that one.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »
They were/are best buds. Didn't you see the photos of Lynne at the trial? I believe she was there everyday.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
You are 100% on that one Regina.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »
I don't care much for Mike Kelly of The Record, but he wrote a column about Lynne Hurwitz in June 2012:

"She is a 73-year-old grandmother who says her “style is to help people.” Her critics call her a fierce, no-holds-barred power broker and key strategist behind Hackensack’s former police chief, Ken Zisa, and his family’s political machine.

So who is Lynne Hurwitz, really?"

Here is a link to the column, and just know that Hurwitz's support for the Open Government slate in the May election is common knowledge around City Hall:

http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/kelly/Kelly_A_reformers_conversion_to_hardball_politics.html

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 08:51:52 AM »
I don't care what some columnist has to say about Lynne Hurwitz.  I know the type of Democrat Lynne Hurwitz is.  And what type of Democrat Ken Zisa is.  And I know that Hurwitz was politically aligned against the Zisa's in every city election from the 1960's up to 1985.  They came to support each other out of necessity, sort of like factions agreeing to share power.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
So you think maybe she sat front and center at his trial to gloat? You are out of touch with the current political climate in Hackensack. Hurwitz was there to support Zisa. Hurwitz supports Citizens for Open Government. Do you think otherwise? Of course she is involved. Connect the dots again.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »
As I said "They came to support each other out of necessity, sort of like factions agreeing to share power".  That is an acknowledgement that she supported Ken Zisa politically.  I'll put the timetable on her support of Ken Zisa as 1988 and onwards. 

What's in her heart, that's another story. In my opinion, she wants what is best for Hackensack, and she was and has been willing to make sacrificing and political alliances to be in the position to advance the best possible agenda for Hackensack.  In the minds of Loretta Weinberg and other "true" Democrats who used to be her closest friends, they say that Hurwitz "sold out."  I disagree, she was given a bunch of lemons to work with.   When you are given lemons, you make lemonaide.  Hurwitz has a view of Hackensack that spans generations, she doesn't think in years or even elections, but in generations.

History will be kind to Lynne Hurwitz, in the end.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
History will be kind to Lynne Hurwitz, in the end.

Don't count on it. How did she earn the nickname "Dragon Lady"?

Power, absolute power, that's the tie that binds those two. And you know the saying about absolute power ...

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
Candidates are set to face off in Hackensack council race
Sunday, March 17, 2013   
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — As the city emerges from a turbulent period that has seen endless litigation, the criminal conviction of a police chief and continued warring between the city administration and its critics, two opposing candidate slates and a single independent contender are facing off in the May election at a crucial point for municipal government.

All five City Council seats are at stake, and only one incumbent is seeking a new term, making it certain that new faces will populate the city’s powerful governing body on July 1 when the council is sworn in.

Five candidates are running on the Hackensack Citizens for Change line, with a pledge to end corruption, cronyism and intimidation. Another five are running under the Hackensack Coalition for Open Government banner, promising to improve residents’ quality of life and increase transparency. Victor Sasson, the only candidate running solo in May’s election, said he is seeking public office to limit noise, step up traffic enforcement and boost tax revenue.

The candidates will have to convince weary voters that they can be trusted as the city continues with an ambitious plan to redevelop the downtown, which is already seeing traction with a proposed 222-unit apartment building on State Street. Some voters say new council members also should not have ties to the Zisa family political machine that has dominated through a time of turmoil.

In the past few years, the city has been hit by numerous lawsuits filed by police officers over alleged abuses by former Chief Ken Zisa, who was convicted of official misconduct and insurance fraud last year. Several officers have also faced charges, including three who pleaded guilty on Monday to their roles in a 2011 assault.

The Building Department came under fire for its handling of violations at a property owned by the zoning board attorney, while the head of that department fights a sexual harassment lawsuit.

"The tax burden caused by corrupt, crony government is enormous on our taxpayers," said Kathleen Canestrino, a Hackensack Citizens for Change candidate who has criticized the city’s legal spending.

Aside from Canestrino, the slate includes Leonardo Battaglia, Rose Greenman, David Sims and the incumbent John Labrosse.

"We are a team of hardworking, ordinary citizens, with one extraordinary goal: to clean up Hackensack’s corrupt and abusive city government and return it to the citizens and taxpayers," said Labrosse, who was elected to the council four years ago.

Team members want to make city records and meeting agendas available to the public and televise meetings. They also want to establish commissions to investigate ethics complaints and oversee redevelopment decisions.

Slates square off

The candidates accuse the Coalition for Open Government slate — which includes Joseph Barreto, Joanne Mania Colon, Kenneth Martin, Jason Nunnermacker and Scott Young — of having ties to the same Democratic Party power brokers who have exerted influence in the city for years.

The team’s manager, former Councilman Roger Mattei, responded: "There’s no secret agenda to try and bring back any political forces that were present in the city at any given time. What you have are sincere people looking to elect qualified committed candidates to best serve Hackensack."

Mattei said he, the Board of Education attorney Richard Salkin, and zoning board member George Diana worked together to assemble the slate with input from community and business leaders.

The candidates say they will make it easier for citizens to get information with improvements to the city’s website and televised meetings and that they will establish civilian review boards. The group also touted its record of service, which includes volunteerism with community groups, the ambulance corps, recreation leagues and business associations.

"We are dedicated to improving the quality of life for the citizens of Hackensack," said Martin, a retired Hackensack police officer.

Sasson, under the banner "A Vote for Peace and Quiet," has pledged to work to reduce aircraft noise from Teterboro Airport, ban landscaping work on Sundays and encourage police to crack down on loud motorcycles and stop-sign violators. He also has called for a street repaving program and for the city to use more energy-efficient vehicles and solar panels.

"At the street level, people want their streets paved. They want to crack down on speeding cars and stop-sign violators," Sasson said. "They want changes that will affect them personally."

Sasson, a former reporter and copy editor with The Record, also called for more payments in lieu of taxes from Hackensack University Medical Center, which he said has an "enormous amount of tax-exempt property."

Residents’ concerns

In street interviews, Hackensack residents said their top issues varied from lowering taxes, to helping the homeless, to ending racial profiling by police.

"I care about the homeless and the quality of the shelters," said Angela St. Claire, 50, adding that shelters were often "overloaded."

Duanne Cobbs, 38, who is unemployed and trying to find work, said he wanted more economic improvements and job opportunities.

Sue Carroll, 54, a learning consultant, called for road repairs and more activities for seniors and handicapped residents. Carroll said she believes the city is moving past its problems with corruption. Mostly, she said, she wants people in office who know their community.

"I’d like to have people as candidates who are Hackensack residents for a long time and who know the issues," she said.

The election is May 14.

Email: adely@northjersey.com
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:57:57 AM by Editor »

Offline Etaylor

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:02 AM »
I see Mr. Sasson is in this story. Guess what he said about The Record ignoring his candidacy was wrong.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 05:52:04 PM »
Hackensack judge to review complaint on city councilman stealing opponents campaign signs

SATURDAY APRIL 13, 2013, 5:12 PM
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
THE RECORD
PRINT | E-MAIL

HACKENSACK – A city judge will review a complaint Monday that was filed against a council candidate accused of stealing his opponents’ campaign signs.

City police say surveillance videotape shows Kenneth Martin removing four signs that had been located outside the Hackensack Market, at 120 Passaic St. Martin, a retired Hackensack police detective, is running on the Coalition for Open Government line.

On the video, he is spotted removing the signs for the Citizens for Change team and placing them in his trunk. Council candidate Leo Battaglia filed a complaint Friday accusing Martin of theft of movable property, said Hackensack Police Director Michael Mordaga.

“There are video cameras on the building,” Mordaga said. “The video does confirm that Mr. Martin removed those signs from private property.”

Martin declined to comment on the matter Saturday when reached by phone. He said Battaglia was using the allegation “to distract residents from what I’m trying to do in the city.”

Battaglia said the theft showed a lack of integrity. “We don’t touch any of his signs,” he said. “This is stealing. He should be an example for the community.”

Hackensack Market manager Bhavesh Patel said the individuals who put up the signs asked his permission, but that Martin didn’t ask his permission to remove them. He said it was possible that another manager spoke to Martin, but he was not sure.

Councilman John Labrosse, who is running for reelection with Citizens for Change, said his team was concerned because a few dozen signs have gone missing. “You work hard to get them out there and put them up and all of a sudden they’re gone,” he said.

anything