Author Topic: Brick House, Lookout Avenue  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Brick House, Lookout Avenue
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:23:50 AM »
Lookout Avenue was on my paper route when I was 10. I always wondered about this house.

Read: The Story of Our Valley, Chapter Four – A Ton of Bricks (Part VII, 1912-1935)

In the suburban building movement of the early twentieth century, brick clung steadfastly to its time-honored reputation for permanency, stability, beauty and economy. In 1919, the New York Tribune awarded a cash first prize of $250 in its suburban home contest to Frank Young, of Lookout Avenue, Hackensack, for photographs of his beautiful brick manor house, designed by architect Wesley Sherwood Bessell in the style “of the quant English homes of the sixteenth century.” Built in 1914 at a cost of $22,000, the Young residence was constructed “of many colored brick, with red predominating, running into dark blues, browns and salmon colors.”  A photograph of the prize-winning domicile showed a rear view of the kitchen wing with its “heavy slate roof and the massive brick chimney that is an outstanding feature.”
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:31:23 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Brick House, Lookout Avenue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »
It's really time for Hackensack to think about designating an official historic district.  And that block of Lookout Ave would certainly qualify.

I live in an historic district now, and I can really see what it means in terms of keeping up property values.  The designation adds a sense of distinction, and is also instrumental in attracting buyers. There are people who want to live in a historic district, and it becomes a point of marketing.  Sure, there is a downside in terms of existing homeowners having to preserve the facade, and needing to get approvals from the historic commission.  But it's worth it.  Certainly for that block, and the adjacent blocks of Hamilton, Anderson, Clinton, and Euclid, as well as a good stretch of Summit Ave.

As suburban areas in cities everywhere get older, what will eventually happen is they'll either become historic districts, or they'll go the other direction --- into decline and subject to conversions into 2 and 3-family houses, either legally or illegally.  It's well-known that the current administration in Hackensack and the folks in the building department are loathe to see the latter happen, but we can't guarantee that will continue in the future.  You never know WHO is going to be running Hackensack 25 years from now, 5 years from now, or 5 months from now. Or what State or Federal mandates could come down from the geniuses in Washington and Trenton for affordable housing, etc.

Adding a historic district designation is another layer of protection, something that could have helped with the "hospital" proposal on Summit and Prospect Avenues.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Brick House, Lookout Avenue
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:00:14 PM »
Walking tonight, I noticed this house is for sale as well as another one a few doors east.

Lookout, between Prospect & Summit, is one of the most charming streets in Hackensack.  The street is narrow and not used as frequently as neighboring streets.  It's lined with many mature trees and most stretches of sidewalk are slate. The homes may be a little smaller than those on Clinton, Anderson or Euclid but they retain more historic elements like wrap-around porches and detached wooden garages with swinging, glass-paneled doors.  The homes are very well-kept without many modern alterations.