Author Topic: Some good cell antenna news  (Read 8120 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Some good cell antenna news
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:31 PM »
After a decade of radiation, the cell antennas on my building (and my apartment) no longer function.

After a decade of sheer ugliness, they will all be removed, I'm told, sometime in the next month or two.

Hallelujah!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Some good cell antenna news
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Wow. Good news.  This story goes back about 10 years...

Fear on high -- Cellphone antennas unnerve a 'penthouse' dweller
MIKE KELLY
The Record
Date: 10-07-2003, Tuesday

Bob Leafe figured he had his own humble patch of paradise.

OK, it wasn't exactly the Garden of Eden. This is downtown Hackensack, after all.

And Leafe's place is just a two-bedroom flat on a tar roof atop a six-story apartment building. Up there, you can still hear buses snort on River Street.

But a few months ago, Leafe awoke to find workers bolting a bouquet of cellular antennas to a wall next to his apartment …

(That's all you get for free.  If you want the article, it's $2.95 through North Jersey Media Archives)

...unless, of course, someone has a scan of the original article.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:37:32 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »
OR................you can send ME the $2.95 instead for the complete article (below).

BTW - this was on the front page of the main section of The Record.

Fear on high -- Cellphone antennas unnerve a 'penthouse' dweller

MIKE KELLY
Date: 10-07-2003, Tuesday

Bob Leafe figured he had his own humble patch of paradise.

OK, it wasn't exactly the Garden of Eden. This is downtown Hackensack, after all.

And Leafe's place is just a two-bedroom flat on a tar roof atop a six-story apartment building. Up there, you can still hear buses snort on River Street.

But a few months ago, Leafe awoke to find workers bolting a bouquet of cellular antennas to a wall next to his apartment and a chimney that runs through a wall near his front door.

So began the battle for Bob Leafe's paradise.

This is really a story about an ordinary guy trying to fight the system. But finding the right target is a bit of a battle in itself.

Which system do you fight when your enemy is a cellphone antenna that just about everyone tells you is as safe as that TV in your living room? And where do you turn when you discover that the state agency assigned to protect older buildings like yours from all manner of modern ugliness admits that it gave the go-ahead to the rooftop antennas because it thought no one lived in the penthouse?

Put another way, New Jersey did not seem to know Bob Leafe existed in his corner of paradise. And when the state realized it made a mistake, nothing was done to fix it.

To understand what the invasion of the antennas means, you need to understand how Bob Leafe sees his rooftop world.

"This is my yard," he said Monday as he pushed open a storm door from his apartment and stepped onto the roof.

It's not luxury, Leafe readily concedes. The place carries the designation of "penthouse," but the rent is akin to "garden apartment" - less than $900 a month. As for sheer beauty, well, even Leafe admits the place is a little worn. The masonry is chipping. An awning frame is rusting.

But Leafe smiles when he looks over his rooftop world. He is 56, and has called this place home for 15 years. It was his retreat from a hectic job of photographing pop music performers - "from Led Zeppelin to Liberace," he said. In his living room, he keeps a Fender guitar signed by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.

On sunny days, Leafe could erect a hammock on the roof. In summer, he kept a small garden.

But now, Leafe rarely ventures onto the roof, not even on those hot summer nights when he would bring his TV outside to watch the Yankees.

This is now a story about paradise interrupted.

On Monday, as Leafe took a short - and rare - stroll on his roof, he looked up to a perfect azure sky and puffy cotton clouds and a golden October sun. Then he looked at the gray and silver antennas, which resembled the picked-over bones of a standing rib roast.

Leafe shook his head. "I'm afraid to come out here. I have no idea whether I'm getting zapped or not."

Federal and state guidelines say cell antennas are safe - as long as you do not get too close.

The state Department of Environmental Protection's Web site recommends staying at least 5 feet away.

Leafe's living room is about 10 feet from the antennas. Is that too close?

Leafe passed on his concerns to local, state, and federal officials. But as Democratic Assemblywoman Loretta Weinberg noted, "It's much harder to remove these things after the fact."

Meanwhile, Hackensack zoning officer Joe Mellone, who did not work on Leafe's case, now wonders whether the city zoning board understood that it was approving the cellular antennas so close to Leafe's apartment.

In studying the file, including a transcript of a hearing in which Leafe voiced his worries, Mellone said he did not think the zoning board understood that Leafe actually lived on the roof.

"He never mentioned that he lived there," Mellone said.

Leafe said he fully described his penthouse abode to the board.

So who's right?

Like so much of this story, that question is difficult to answer clearly.

Leafe called Nextel, the phone company that installed the antennas. He also complained to his landlord, Sarna Properties of Englewood. Both insist he has nothing to worry about.

"We feel they are absolutely safe," said Stephen Montag, the Sarna Properties manager who oversees Leafe's building at 430 Union St.

Montag would not say how much Nextel pays to rent the space for the antennas, nor would Nextel confirm the amount. But Nextel spokeswoman Diane Rainey said the company generally rents rooftop space for $1,500 to $2,000 per month.

Rainey added that an engineer hired by Nextel tested the antennas atop Leafe's roof and found radiation emissions below federal standards. "Less than the TV or microwave oven," she said.

Still, Leafe worries.

"I don't want to be a guinea pig," he said.

As for aesthetics, well, that's another matter. Leafe figured he might win there. Because his apartment building dates to the 1920s, he sought the support of the state Historic Preservation Office.

It's not that Leafe's apartment building is especially historic. But the building's design and brickwork bring it under the protection of the preservation office.

And it was the preservation office that offered a final piece of daffy irony to Bob Leafe's battle for paradise: It might have blocked the cell antennas if it realized someone was living in the penthouse.

The preservation office opposed the original Nextel plan to bolt the antennas to the side of Leafe's building, where they would interfere with its architectural appearance. But the agency thought the antennas would be sufficiently hidden on the rooftop - near the penthouse.

Of course, that was before preservation office official Kurt Leasure conceded to Leafe that he thought the penthouse was empty.

"If I had been aware of possible problems related to locating the antennas in close proximity to tenants, I would have been open to discussing alternate designs," Leasure wrote in an e-mail to Leafe.

Leasure no longer works for the Historic Preservation Office. Meanwhile, Leafe wonders to whom he can appeal.

"What did they think the penthouse was for?" he said.

Bob Leafe gazes again over his rooftop. It's a beautiful autumn day in paradise. But he stays inside.

E-mail: kellym@northjersey.com

NOTE: I never had a garden, but there was one here decades before. When the building opened around 1928, there was a restaurant in the basement that was THE place for the City's bigwigs to meet. The restaurant's chef lived in the penthouse.

The original definition of a penthouse has nothing to do with luxury. It simply meant a separate unit that sits by itself on the roof. It's almost like an afterthought. The building is listed everywhere as a 6-story building, but I'm the 7th-floor tenant.

In that sense, my unit - I'm told - is the only true penthouse in Hackensack.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
What? No picture?  I distinctly remember a picture.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »
I begged them to NOT use the picture they used, so I'm certainly not posting it here.

If you want to see a better picture and something I wrote in 2003, go to my site - http://xrl.us/BobL - and enter 22-026 in the search box.

There were a lot of details about the absolute idiocy of certain people in power that I left out.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
Today's the day - removal of the antennas started this morning.

3/03 (the aforementioned 22-026 picture) and today:

BTW - the charming 3/03 message near my living room window (with the A/C) was written by a Nextel installer.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
That is great news.  I went to that hearing, and I spoke against it.  Also attending was Richard Rankin, and he gave his most eloquent speech ever. Didn't think he had it in him.

I'm baffled at the economics behind the decision to remove them.  I thought all the cell phone carriers were still scrambling to find locations.  This location is already established, and it cost six figures to do the installation.  So the big question is: WHY is it no longer economical to maintain this investment ?

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »
I've heard of two possible explanations:

The building manager said it was Nextel's decision, but the rumor is that the building has been sold and that the new landlord didn't want the antennas. If the latter is true, perhaps it was a condition of sale.

The photos:

1. The view from my front door

2. Antennas and a bunch of other junk

3. A worker in a crane bucket dismantling the 7-story-tall metal shaft that routed the cables that were attached to each antenna to the basement control room

4. The worker using a hammer to dislodge what looks like a decade of nesting material from what's left of the metal shaft

5. The last antenna being removed from the back of the building - it was one foot from a 6th-floor tenant's bedroom window

Offline Prospect Avenue Coalition

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
In the summer of 2008, I received the following notice in the mail. I encouraged the unit owners in my building (located immediately next door) to attend the Zoning Board Meeting to protest the mounting of a wireless antenna atop the Blair House. Other than myself no one showed and the hearing was postponed by the Zoning Board. I contacted the Zoning Board to discuss the matter of allowing wireless antennas in such a densely populated residential area and where there may be kids/elderly living directly below or level with the antenna.

I was informed that many towns (Fair Lawn and Leonia) were facing lawsuits from wireless communication companies and Hackensack was weighing its options as to whether it would toss its hat into the litigation ring. I was told that my unit is located at the farthest point away and many floors below the antenna so the effect for me may actually be minimal. Regardless, I passed along to the Blair House a radiation study which may have trumped the rental income paid by Omnipoint since I only see zoning board approval for MetroPCS at 300 and 101 Prospect Avenue.

My friend who lived in a rental in New York which installed an antenna a few months after he moved in began suffering from diminished brain function and had to resort to sleeping in a special tent because his landlord would not let him out of the lease. His wife was about to have a baby so the lease was broken without regard to the cost.

The rental income may be attractive to the landlord but what about the cost to the renters? and would it be as attractive if the landlord was living in the penthouse.

CITY OF HACKENSACK
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
ZONING BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT
APPLICATION V#10-08 and SP#9-08

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that OMNIPOINT COMMUNICATIONS INC.
("Applicant") has filed an application with the City of Hackensack. Zoning Board
of Adjustment. seeking permission to install a wireless communications facility
consisting of four (4) wireless panel antennas and three (3) equipment cabinets
on the roof-top of the existing fifteen (15) story building. No on-site demolition or
expansion of the building is proposed for the subject property. The property
which is the subject of this application is located at 235 Prospect Avenue,
Hackensack, New Jersey, is located in the R-3 Zoning District, and is designated
on the Tax maps as Block 343, Lot 14 and Block 343.03, Blair House
Condominium. Applicant is seeking the following variances, approvals and
waivers:

• Use Variance as the use is not permitted in the R-3 Z.one, a variance for
expansion of a pre-existing non conforming use for the alterations, and
variances for three pre-existing nonconforming bulk deficiencies, including
possible height variance for the antennas and rooftop equipment,

• Preliminary and Final Site plan;

• Such other approvals, waivers and variances from the requirements of
the Zoning Ordinance as may be deemed necessary or required by the
City of Hackensack at the hearing in this matter.

TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that the City of Hackensack Zoning Board of
Adjustment will meet at 7:00 P.M .. WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 20, 2008 at 65
Central Avenue, Hackensack, N.J. :lid Floor Council Meeting Room at which lime
opportunity will be given to all those in interest to be heard and al which time the
Board may approve, modify or deny this application. Any interested party may
appear at the aforesaid hearing, either in person, or by their attorney, and be
given the opportunity 10 be heard with respect to the aforesaid application.
TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that the application for development and all
supporting maps, site plans and document may be inspected in the office of the
Department of Community Affairs, City Hall, 65 Central Avenue, Hackensack
during regular office hours.

This notice is being sent to you by the applicant by order of the Zoning Board of
the City of Hackensack, New Jersey.

Date: August 4, 2008

OMNIPOINT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
c/o GAROFALO ZIERAK & O'NEILL P.A.
Authorized Agent for Applicant
60 Baldwin Road, Suite 202
Parsippany, New Jersey 07054

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »
It's been confirmed (though I can't find anything about it online): 430 Union and 50 Anderson were sold yesterday.

Since the entire cell antennas installation was removed yesterday, I would guess that it was a condition of sale. If so, I'm grateful to the new owners.

Update: Just spoke to new ownership: The timing of the removal of the antennas was coincidental. Nextel/Sprint were supposed to do it earlier, but finally got around to it yesterday.

Either way, I'm still grateful.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:45:47 PM by BLeafe »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »
I think there is a lot to be said about the hazards of living near such antennas, in addition to high-tension electrical towers and lines.  I sure as hell would never live near one, or under one.  I once refused to buy a condo because the unit was uncomfortably close to an oversized transformer.  And when I served on the Board of Directors for a condo, I led the charge to say "no" to allowing them on our building when the manager we hired suggested that he could reach out and solicit a lucrative annual cash offer to have a cell tower on our roof. No way in hell. We decided that we'd rather keep our maintenance fee what it was than imperil any of our own residents.

The problem is that the cell phone industry is very very powerful, so health issues and regulations are bent to accommodate them. I call this "the Montsanto Syndome". That company is doing all sorts of things, from Agent Orange and RoundUp to genetically altered foods, and everyone just looks away. Obama just signed a special bill, over the objections of so many Democratic activists.