Author Topic: Noise Ordinance?  (Read 7938 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Noise Ordinance?
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:22:43 AM »
I thought the city had a noise ordinance that loud machinery could not be use before 8am and after 8pm.

If that's true, how is the construction on Essex St -  Essex View Garden apartments allowed to work at 6:30am?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Noise Ordinance?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 11:47:19 AM »
I have a very out-dated city code book, but the one that I have says:

Section 112-2: 

A: It is hereby declared to be a nuisance and it shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation or their agents or employees owning or occupying any building or premises to permit any noise which is audible beyond said building or premises between the hours of 9:00pm and 7:00am, current time, or on any Sunday or legal holiday.

B: It is hereby declared to be a nuisance and it shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation or their agents or employees owning or occupying any building or premises to operate or permit to be operated any type of machinery, appliance, equipment or hand tool which emits noise beyond the premises upon which said machinery, appliance, equipment or hand tool is being operated or used, between the hours of 9:00 pm and 7:00, current time, or on any Sunday or legal holiday.

There is an exception carved out for industrial districts, as defined by ordinance and the provision is not applicable to utility companies or government agencies in the performance of emergency repairs or construction that is required to be performed in the public's interest.

There are also special permits that allow for work outside the normal hours set forth above.

The Police Dept. enforces the ordinance.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:55:08 AM by Editor »

anything