Author Topic: 2013 City Council Campaign Announcement  (Read 41849 times)

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
2013 City Council Campaign Announcement
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
Meet and greet with Victor E. Sasson at the Dunkin' Donuts on Passaic Street, near the railroad tracks, on Saturday, March 9, from 10 a.m. to noon, to discuss his candidacy for the City Council and Eye on The Record. He will have nominating petitions to sign, if you wish to do so. Here is his platform, modified slightly from when he posted it originally:

VOTE FOR PEACE AND QUIET

I am Victor E. Sasson, a former reporter and copy editor at The Record of Hackensack, and I have owned a home in Hackensack since August 2007. Now, I am running as an Independent for the Hackensack City Council on a quality of life platform. The election will be held on May 14, 2013, and I need 250 signatures from registered voters to get on the ballot. If elected, I will:

Work with Teterboro Airport to reduce aircraft noise, and work with federal officials to get a mandatory curfew on flights between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Get Hackensack to purchase more efficient vehicles, including hybrids, for the Police Department and other agencies.
Explore government grants to add hybrids to the city’s fleet, and encourage the installation of more solar panels on city owned property.
Start collection of garbage and recyclables after 6:30 a.m.
Ban commercial landscaping work on Sundays.
Encourage police to establish routine patrols of neighborhoods, if that isn’t being done now. Get police to crack down on speeders, stop-sign violators and loud motorcycles.
Encourage the city to undertake a major program to repave streets.
Have turn lanes installed on Passaic Street, at Summit Avenue, and at other traffic bottlenecks.
Encourage the non-profit Hackensack University Medical Center to pay more to the city in lieu of taxes.
Encourage the City Council to deliver a property tax cut to residents by passing along some of the additional tax revenue from major building projects, and gasoline and electricity savings.
Call me with suggestions: 201-488-3012

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: 2013 City Council Campaign Announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Please use this topic for all future campaign annoucements, platform positions, etc.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Start collection of garbage and recyclables after 6:30 a.m

Its great that you have a slew of ideas, and are prepared.    I do have to tell you though, on this one, its not practical.  collection is started early for two reasons, Traffic and the dump schedule.  later start on collection means it will  take longer to accomplish the routes, especially those on busy roads. it is also safer for crews to be out there when traffic is lighter.    The dump schedule is another and most important consideration, it opens early and closes early. later starts may mean that the trucks wont make their slots. 

also, turn lanes on Passaic at Summit wont work either, because the road is too narrow at that point to accomodate 3 lanes without using eminent domain to take land from the 4 corner property owners, and possibly others down the street to widen out the road.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
So take the property. Why inconvenience thousands of motorists, not to mention the waste of gasoline and increased pollution, just to maintain our antiquated road system. There are lots on intersections that can be improved, widened etc., all for the public good.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Hackensack also collects garbage in Maywood. Why not start there before 6 a.m. and let us sleep in so to speak?

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
FYI: Passaic Street and Summit Avenue are County Roads and not City streets. Intersection improvements would have to be undertaken by the County.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
OK. So why don't city officials urge the county to improve traffic flow? Do I have to call the county and contend with the bureaucracy and the run around?

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
Do-nothing slate starts Hackensack campaign

http://eyeontherecord.blogspot.com/

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
The sad state of democracy in Hackensack

http://eyeontherecord.blogspot.com/

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
Victor E. Sasson says, Now that I am on the ballot, here is my revised platform:

VOTE FOR PEACE AND QUIET
VOTE AGAINST THE MACHINE
SPLIT YOUR VOTE FOR
THE FUTURE OF HACKENSACK

I am Victor E. Sasson, a former reporter and copy editor at The Record of Hackensack, and I have owned a home in Hackensack since August 2007.

Now, I am running as an Independent for the Hackensack City Council on a quality of life platform that seeks to rein in property tax increases and improve city services.

The election -- the most important in decades -- will be held on May 14, 2013, and my name will appear at the bottom of a column of 10 other candidates -- symbolizing how I will get to the bottom of things. You can vote for 5 candidates.

If elected, I will:

Work with Teterboro Airport to reduce aircraft noise, and work with federal officials to get a mandatory curfew on flights between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Get Hackensack to purchase more efficient vehicles, including hybrids, for the Police Department and other agencies.
Explore government grants to add hybrids to the city’s fleet, and encourage the installation of more solar panels on city owned property.
Encourage police to establish routine patrols of neighborhoods, if that isn’t being done now. Get police to crack down on speeders, stop-sign violators and loud motorcycles.
Encourage the city to undertake a major program to repave streets.
Have turn lanes installed on Passaic Street, at Summit Avenue, and at other traffic bottlenecks.
Encourage the non-profit Hackensack University Medical Center to pay more to the city in lieu of taxes.
Stop a 19-story, long-term, acute-care hospital from going up between Prospect and Summit avenues, near Golf Place.
Improve the food at Hackensack High School, and encourage administrators to plant vegetable gardens at all of the schools to fight the obesity epidemic.
Encourage the City Council to deliver a property tax cut to residents by passing along some of the additional tax revenue from major building projects, and gasoline and electricity savings.
Call me with suggestions or if you need a ride to the polls: 201-488-3012.

Follow me on Twitter/@vsasson
Read my blogs:
Eye on The Record
Do You Really Know What You’re Eating?

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »
City Council candidate Victor E. Sasson's latest campaign platform:

VOTE FOR PEACE AND QUIET
VOTE AGAINST THE MACHINE
SPLIT YOUR VOTE FOR
THE FUTURE OF HACKENSACK

Victor E. Sasson, a former newspaper reporter who is running as  an independent in the May 14 City Council election, is asking for your vote. I am running on a quality of life platform that seeks to rein in property tax increases and improve city services.

The election is the most important in decades. My name will appear at the bottom of a column of 10 other candidates -- symbolizing how I will get to the bottom of things. You can vote for me and 4 other candidates.

If elected, I will:

End the patronage mill at City Hall.
Cut the city budget by $2 million and maintain services.
Sell up to 15 cars now being driven home by city employees.
Work with Teterboro Airport to reduce aircraft noise.
Get Hackensack to purchase more efficient vehicles.
Get police to crack down on speeders, stop-sign violators and loud motorcycles.
Encourage the city to undertake a major program to repave streets. Have turn lanes installed on Passaic Street, at Summit Avenue, and at other traffic bottlenecks.
Stop a 19-story, long-term, acute-care hospital from going up between Prospect and Summit avenues, near Golf Place.
Improve the food at Hackensack High School, and encourage administrators to plant vegetable gardens at all of the schools to fight the obesity epidemic.
Call me with suggestions or if you need a ride to the polls: 201-488-3012.

Follow me on Twitter/@vsasson
Read my blogs:
Eye on The Record
Do You Really Know What You’re Eating?

Offline Etaylor

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:46 AM »
So you want patients at HUMC to pay more for care? That's what happens when you tax a hospital.

You also want a garden at school. Presumably that's to feed the summer schoolers since gardens don't yield much until school's out.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
That's just B.S on both scores.

Have you seen insurers or hospitals lower their rates, because non-profits don't pay taxes?

All students would benefit from eating more vegetables. Aren't summer school students human, too? Are you a racist?

Offline Etaylor

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
That's just B.S on both scores.

Have you seen insurers or hospitals lower their rates, because non-profits don't pay taxes?

All students would benefit from eating more vegetables. Aren't summer school students human, too? Are you a racist?

No, but I've never seen hospitals absorb millions in new costs without passing them on. But perhaps Hackensack hospital would do the same. And I'm sure if FDU agreed with your plan to force them to pay taxes they would happily pay them without passing the cost on to its students.

Especially since your plan would cut their taxes in so many ways.

Regarding the garden, I think it could be a great teaching tool, which you neglected to mention. I do wish it could be done in a way where all students could take part, not just the few that take classes in the summer. Does the school even serve lunch in the summer?

I'm not sure how my comment makes me a racist, but I appreciate a candidate for public office making those kinds of suggestions about my character.

Good luck, Mr. Sasson. I look forward to having my road paved, my taxes lowered and my shoes shined.

anything