Author Topic: Hackensack Golf Club (rare picture)  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Golf Club (rare picture)
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »
I haven't seen this before.  That has to be Coles Brook.  I wonder where that culvert was located.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Golf Club (rare picture)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
Bridge is either Central Ave or an internal bridge within the golf course

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:56 AM »
Probably closer to Central Avenue and the railroad tracks. There is a tall telephone pole behind the culvert and the land over the culvert seems to be higher than the fairway. There is probably another stone wall on the opposite side of the culvert which isn't visible on the photo. The pole and it's wires would have run along either the street or railroad right of way.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »
Now that you mention "railroad culvert", I think the rise that the bridge is on is way too short to be the Susquehanna Railroad.  Only about 1/3 the height.  And I don't see it in the background.  I think the picture is taken a bit south of Passaic Street, looking south.  That would mean the bridge is an internal bridge within the golf course.  Maybe one of the old atlas shows some details of the golf course ? 

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »
Can you show me where I used the words "railroad culvert"?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
The two words are not used together in your post, they are separated by other words.

I assumed you were referring to the higher land with the bridge, because I don't see any higher land behind the bridge.  You posted that you see it, but I am missing it when I look at the photo. I don't see it.

The Sussy-Q was there at that time, that is for sure. So if the picture was taken just north of Central Ave (and looking south), I think we would see the railroad embankment. It's over 30 feet high above Coles Brook, and not more than 200 feet south of Central Ave. The imposing railroad embankment is not visible in the photo, so I think the photo must have been taken much further north (and still looking south).

If you can provide any other clues, please do so.

anything