Author Topic: 1970's (?) Downtown Image  (Read 17324 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
1970's (?) Downtown Image
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »
This image hangs in the Building and Land Use Department.

Details follow the first, full image below. 

Buildings demolished: The Trolley Stop and Essex and Main.  The Dance Hall at the rear of the National Hotel (now General Poors Tavern); The garage at S/W corner of Bridge and Moore; the home (?) at the S/E corner of Bridge and Moore; all of the buildings where Court Plaza stands now.

Anyone want to venture a guess about the year? After 1965 because Georges Club 20 is not there and we know Jimi Hendrix played there then. Any other observations?

Click images to enlarge.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:03:49 PM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1970's (?) Downtown Image
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
Definitely before 1976/1977 when the City knocked down the Trolley Stop to widen Essex Street. The Dance Hall behind what was then the National Cafe burned down around '76.
I'll take a guess that it was taken about 1970.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »
Buildings demolished: The Trolley Stop

Isn't the below-circled building where The Trolley Stop was?

I'm gonna guess that the picture was taken a little after 1970. I'm not sure when it moved to State St (I think it was after 1970), but the building that housed Coast Automotive on Main St is gone from the original picture.

A call to Coast might help narrow it down.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:16:17 PM by BLeafe »
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
The building you circled was definitely the Trolley Stop restaurant. There was an abandoned ESSO station right behind it on the island. Coast Automotive is still there in the photo but is obscured in the shadows.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
Coast was here, no?

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
I see what looks like a Dutch sandstone house above the Trolley Stop on Essex.  I always thought that's where the Brinkerhoff House (36 Essex) was, but I see now that's not the case.

What was the sandstone?
Is Brinkerhoff in that picture? May have been gone by then.

Also, what was that large white building where the Court Plaza parking structure is near State Street?

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
the dutch sandstone on the corner of Essex & Fair became the United Jersey Bank drive up/walk up.  it was torn down 12-15 years ago.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
Here's a high-resolution version of the full image if anyone wants a really close look.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:47 AM »
Ol' Homer has a pretty good recollection of that area. There was an auto parts store just to the left of the yellow circle that Bob drew on his response. It was right next to the bank building. I don't know if it was the same folks that are at Coast Automotive today since we are talking about 35 years ago.
The big white building that Mr. Editor was talking about on Essex Street was a carwash.
The Brinkerhoff House was still there when the photo was taken. That was one of the last buildings the City knocked down in that block before the City sold it to the Court Plaza people. I think that there were a bunch of lawyers working there.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
I'll make a few small observations to help, that's all I can do on this one.  I see that the Social Security Building and Zaentz Hardware are both built.

What is conspicuously NOT in the picture is the historic looking colonial-style office building on the SW corner of State and Sussex, which I think was built in the 1970 - 1975 range.

That might help with narrowing down the dates.  Perhaps Ol' Homer knows when those 3 buildings were built.  I was very young then.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
Zaents and the old Social Security building had been around for a while .The building at State and  Sussex  is probably more in the 1980- 1985 era.

One clue that Ol' Sherlock Jones can throw into the mix is the 4 story building on the east side of Church Street just up from Wahington Place. That may very well have been the first new building put up in the downtown area  in many a moon as Chief Oratam used to say. I believe that building was constructed around 1970 or maybe a year or two after.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »
The building on the SW corner of State & Sussex wasnt built until the mid 80's.  there used to be a house there, and it is in the image posted above.  it burned in 1977 and was torn down after 

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »
Regarding the Editor's quote on the "Dutch Sandstone" above the old Trolley Stop, Chief Oratam once told me about that house.  Says it was moved there from elsewhere in Hackensack (possibly corner Essex & First).  And he says it is not a historic house, and it was just built in that old style to replicate an old house.  If I remember correctly.  Wish he would check in on this website, and give some input. It's his neighborhood, and his era, he's really be able to provide great input.

I can see the old Brinkerhoff house, I think it's right in front of the big white building that someone said was a car wash.

To be honest, I can barely remember the old buildings and houses on that square block of Essex that became Court Plaza.  Just remembered that it was all cluttered and unsightly, truly a mixed use area.  And I was very happy to see it all go, except the Brinkerhoff house.  I was in High School when Court Plaza was built and thought it the best thing to ever happen to downtown Hackensack, along with the "miracle" of connecting Atlantic Street from State St to The Record and widening Essex St. And State St from Essex to Mercer Street was somewhat pitiful. It was considered an unsightly corridor to drive along, and not part of the downtown business area.  I thought Hackensack was really turning from "town" to "city" and that so much was going to happen.  There was a lot of improvement on State Street, to be sure.  Only a little on Main Street, they did the brick intersection thing. In fact, Hackensack was one of the first downtowns in North Jersey to do the brick intersections and it attracted a lot of attention. But not much positive happened with the private sector.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:40:25 AM by just watching »

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
the old Bank on the corner of Fair and Essex was not an old building.  when they tore it down we were allowed to use it for drill. only looked old on the outside, was a conventional wood frame structure on the inside.

Offline GToriello

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »
I was born in the Brinkerhoff House, 1946. The property was owned by my grandfather, Angelo Toriello, who owned Toriello Construction Co. The yard stored heavy construction equipment. The address back then was 34 Essex St. My grandfather passed in 1966. We moved out of the house in 1964. Graduated from HHS and moved to then East Paterson. Not sure when it was sold as I plan to go to the searching vault at the courthouse and research the chain of ownership. Subsequent visits by me to Hackensack showed the house renovated and the tenants were attorneys.

The building was originally used as a residence. James B. Bratt, one of the founders of the Bergen County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, lived there from 1912 to 1919. The photos of the house are located in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. The house was built during the Civil War, c. 1862. The car wash next door was owned by the Sanzari's. The current owner of the land is Court Plaza Associates, LLP. (1997) A Sanzari was one of the executives. (Since passed) I believe they purchased the land from the City of Hackensack.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/hh/item/nj1027/

anything