Author Topic: City Manager Squillace Images  (Read 17654 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
City Manager Squillace Images
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »
Below are 24 pictures that John Squillace and family have graciously loaned to the City of Hackensack.  The framed images will soon be on display at the new Hackensack Cultural Arts Center on State & Warren.  The images were originally on display at HUMC.

Joseph J. Squillace served as City Manager from 1964 to 1986. 

Click to enlarge. Some photos could use better descriptions.  We'll work on that.

I think my favorite is Banta Place, with the Eureka Theater on the left.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:10:20 AM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: City Manager Squillace Images
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:07 AM »
All great photos; but, the one that is probably the most historically significant is the Map of Hackensack prior to the Construction of River Street. This map shows the alignment of Hackensack Creek beginning at the River and winding westward under where the County buildings are now located and across Main Street under where the Court Plaza complex was built.
This creek is presumably where the Dutch settlers did their trading with the local Indian tribes.
There was an old sewer trunk which followed the creek bed which had to be relocated when Court Plaza was constructed to tie into the sewer line under where the County facilities were built.
Take a look at the names of the property owners and you can see where the names of many of the local streets were derived from.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
Slight labeling adjustment:

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
What took you so long?

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
I was busy frying bigger fish:

Come one, come all!

The Squillace and Leafe estates invite you all to the Grand Opening of:

"SQUILLEAFE: The Banktop Photo Collection"

This exhibit opens on August 17, 2047 at the United States Cultural Arts Center (corner of State St and Warren St) in Hackensack, NJ.[
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Try and re post your rooftop photos again in black and white and  lay them out next to the Squillace photos. I think that you will see that the more things change, the more they remain the same

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
Done.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
The eerie thing is that 75 years later the guy on the top floor of the bank building  still has the shades on his window half way down. Maybe somebody should check on him?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
Just some things I'm noticing:

- Rooftop A/C units in the newer pictures.  There was a time when you were just hot.  Period.
- Awnings on all southern facing windows (building on State & Salem).  I wonder how much they helped. If you had a transom and a fan, you might be ok on modestly hot days.  You don't see awnings on upper floors at all anymore.
- Hand painted advertisements on brick.  The "ghost ads" are faded but still there.  That must have been some heavy duty lead paint. 
- Street lights did not overhang the street back then and they were smaller.  I wonder how it looked at night. Probably darker.
- The trolley tracks crisscross so trolleys could pass in opposite directions.  Even looking at it, I have a hard time imaging how that worked with two-way vehicular traffic, pedestrians and traffic lights.  Bizarre.
- The two stately homes on Salem that were town down to make a parking lots (which are now empty). 
- Is "Public Service" on Main and Salem PSEG?
- If you look at the Hurricane picture, the workers are using a two-man saw, - not a chainsaw. They are not smiling. 

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:24:06 AM »
Great images.  I think these are the pic's that were hanging at Wellington Hall (owned by the Squillace family) in the mid-1990's. They must have been moved to HUMC, or perhaps copies of them.

A few observations:

1. "Colonial Home" and "Old Colonial Home" are different angles of same house, and that property is currently Spotless Car Wash.  Note the riverbank vegetation. Reportedly that was the oldest house in Bergen County. There is also riverfront vegetation/mud in the Esso gas station picture, but I can't figure out where that was. Perhaps in Teaneck, south side of Cedar Lane ?

2. Passaic & State Looking South is actually looking NORTH.  Verify based on width of State St, and old atlases shows a row of tight-packed houses to the north, whereas south of Passaic the houses on State Street were well-spaced and quite grand.

3. The Ed Van Saun home is specifically the NE corner of Park & Passaic. It was torn down to build a gas station, and it is now the parking lot/play area for First Baptist school.  The second house (right after it), on Passaic St, was purchased at some point and designated as the missionary house for First Baptist. It was torn down around 1998 and replaced with a modern duplex house with no landscaping, still owned by First Baptist.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:34:30 AM by just watching »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »
1. ...There is also riverfront vegetation/mud in the Esso gas station picture, but I can't figure out where that was. Perhaps in Teaneck, south side of Cedar Lane ?

2. Passaic & State Looking South is actually looking NORTH.  Verify based on width of State St, and old atlases shows a row of tight-packed houses to the north, whereas south of Passaic the houses on State Street were well-spaced and quite grand.

1. I was sure when I first saw that picture that it had to be the Esso station that was on the south side of Cedar Lane right by the river, but an online search shows only that Alberse Esso was on the west side of Palisade Ave in Teaneck, about 3 blocks south of Cedar Lane (see below image). Maybe Alberse owned the Cedar Lane station before or after that, but I can't find any record of it.

2. Could the "Passaic & State Looking South" image be mislabeled and actually be "Passaic & Park Looking South"?

There were two gas stations at that intersection on the NW and SW corners. If this is looking south, then it could have been taken from where the current one (Johnson's) is today.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
if you look close at the Passaic & State image, it is marked correctly I believe.  the image shows an oddly designed street pattern, which was corrected when they widened State St at Passaic. the telephone pole is in the same location as it is today on the SW corner, and the entrance curbing that would exist at a gas station still exists today on Passaic St. The teachers parking on the tennis court get that bonus because the city never put in proper curbing there when the block was vacated and torn down to build the addition to the middle school.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »
So if irons is correct, then those tightly packed houses are currently the parking lot of the Parisian Beauty School ?

Let's see if these links work to the old maps I found from 1876.  It would help if there was an atlas around 1900.

http://antiquegalleryprints.com/Map/US/11182/Hakensack+2/Bergen+County+1876/New+Jersey/

http://antiquegalleryprints.com/Map/US/11183/Hakensack+3/Bergen+County+1876/New+Jersey/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:28:04 AM by just watching »

Offline Ken McKenzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I recognize the "English Tudor Style Home" as that of former Hackensack mayor Kazmier Wysocki, on Maple Hill Dr. The Wysockis still live there.