Author Topic: ICAL AND ITS USE OF THE CIVIC CENTER  (Read 4073 times)

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
ICAL AND ITS USE OF THE CIVIC CENTER
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
I viewed the video of the most recent City Council meeting.  Angel Carrion spoke on behalf of ICAL with regard to the issue of the use of the Civic Center by the nonprofit organization.  From my understanding, ICAL was given total use of the Civic Center and have been charging other groups to use the taxpayer owned building.  How can a nonprofit group have total control of a city owned building?  How can ICAL remove a group that has used the facility 3 nights a week to teach dance to our children because they have not paid ICAL?  Carrion indicated that the use of the civic center by Dance Evolution has caused the nonprofit a loss in profit. How can ICAL charge anyone?  Does the city receive any of that money? I ask these questions so that I can get a better understanding.  ICAL appears to be a good organization and so does the dance program Mrs. Manning provides to our children.  Apparently, ICAL has had control over this building for many years before the current administration was elected and installed.  Anyone have any answers????

Offline regina

• View Profile
Re: ICAL AND ITS USE OF THE CIVIC CENTER
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
No answers, just more questions. Who decides what group(s) get to use the Civic Center for classes? Is it the Recreation Department? Is it the City Manager? Or is it ICAL? The ICAL literature gives the impression that their classes are City run because they use the City seal.

http://www.hackensack.org/controls/eventview.aspx?MODE=SINGLE&ID=735

Is the City in a partnership with ICAL? If not, why are they permitted to use the seal? The question of ICAL charging groups for use of City property needs to be answered publicly, just as the accusations were made publicly by their representative. There is no question that ICAL is a worthy group. The question is whether or not they have assumed the right to control what classes are permitted in a City owned building for their own benefit.

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: ICAL AND ITS USE OF THE CIVIC CENTER
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »
This appears to be another secret deal the past administration has thrust upon the citizens of Hackensack.  Shouldn't the City Clerk have a record of this agreement?

anything