Author Topic: Hackensack Human Services Dept.  (Read 16264 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Hackensack Human Services Dept.
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:43:18 AM »
Hackensack debates shutting welfare office, handing cases to county
Saturday, October 12, 2013
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER

HACKENSACK -The City Council is considering closing the city's welfare office and shifting cases to the county in a move that officials say would save about $400,000 a year.

Hackensack is one of 12 cities and towns in Bergen County that still have local welfare offices, while others have closed and moved cases to the county as part of a statewide push to consolidate services and cut costs. In Hackensack, though, concerns have been raised that the county already has more cases than it can handle.

"They are overburdened as it is," said Agatha Toomey, director of the Hackensack welfare office, known as the Human Services Department. "Do you think they would be able to handle an additional caseload, our caseload, efficiently with the problems they're having?"

Toomey defended her office at a City Council meeting Tuesday, where she gave council members copies of articles printed in The Record that detailed complaints about increased workload, inefficient systems and understaffing at the county Board of Social Services, which handles public assistance claims.

Alex Morales, interim management consultant for the county board, said steps were being taken to address those complaints and deal with a spike in cases, including more hiring and modernization at the Social Services offices in Rochelle Park.

He said that Hackensack's approximately 100 clients would not be a significant increase for the county, which serves about 30,000 families. Most of those clients already must travel to Rochelle Park for assistance with food stamps and Medicaid.

The county office assists individuals and families with state and federal programs in areas such as emergency aid, food assistance, medical programs, work counseling and child support. The local office provides financial, emergency and medical assistance to single individuals and couples without children.

Council members said they were gathering information before deciding.

"We want to make it easy for our residents to get coverage and make sure it's equal or better coverage," said Deputy Mayor Kathleen Canestrino.

Canestrino said the city would save about $400,000 in salaries, benefits and related expenses by closing the Human Services Department.

Morales, who was hired to evaluate the board's systems and practices, said the county's caseload spiked because of the recession. The number of Bergen County families receiving food stamps doubled to 20,000 since 2006, he said. He reported earlier this year that 934 walk-up clients had been turned away over a six-week period that ended Jan. 31.

He said the county planned to hire 19 more employees and install a new computer system to offer more information faster.

Toomey also said the estimate of 100 clients covered only active cases per month, and not the dozens more applications that her office processed and denied. Aside from general assistance, she said, her office also provides referrals, food and help completing forms.

In 1998, legislation was enacted that gave communities the option to hand their welfare cases to the county. Gov. Christine Todd Whitman, in office at the time, touted the measure as a way to cut administrative costs at the local level and simplify the state's task of overseeing welfare cases.

In Bergen County, only 12 municipalities still have a local welfare office. Aside from Hackensack, they are Edgewater, Fairview, Fort Lee, Hillsdale, Montvale, Park Ridge, Ridgefield Park, Rutherford, Westwood. Woodcliff Lake and Wood-Ridge.

Email: adely@northjersey.com
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:36:32 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Human Services Dept.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
Definitely do it !!!  Just having a social services dept. could be an invitation to future administrations to greatly expand it, at enormous cost to Hackensack taxpayers.  Shrink local govt. as much as possible.

I also think the city should outsource most or all of the Dept. of Public Works services, especially garbage collection. Whatever deal is made with the private sector, it would involve their use of the current DPW facilities, equipment, and personnel. That way no one loses their job. I know this was tried about 19 years ago, and it didn't go through. Time to try it again.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
Related Topic: Shared Services

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
Hackensack looks into the possibility of handing welfare office to county
Friday, October 18, 2013
BY  JENNIFER VAZQUEZ
NEWS EDITOR
Hackensack Chronicle

Hackensack – As part of a possible cost-saving measure for the city, the governing body is looking whether it should continue running its Human Services Department or hand control over to the county — as most municipalities have already opted to do.

The Human Services Department provides a range of social services such as housing, food and medical assistance, among others.

According to Councilwoman Rose Greenman, during the Committee of the Whole meeting on Sept. 30, the city stands to save roughly $400,000 in costs associated with the department if Hackensack decides to hand it over to the county.

"There is an existing budget that is approximately $261,000 and an additional $39,950 for other expenses," she explained. "There is approximately 40 percent on top of it for all of the benefits – pensions, health…and such. That is approximately $400,000."

Sixty-three out of 70 municipalities, have opted to hand over their respective human services programs to the county, according to Greenman. In addition, she said, that doing so would be at no cost to the city.

"[The county] is offering the service to us," Greenman said. "They are going to provide the services to us at no cost. They are willing to come and actually use our offices as a transitional point for the time being to help the people to transition. Apparently they can offer even a higher level of services than are provided now. It will save us the personnel. It would save us the budget. It would save us approximately $400,000 plus the car because my understanding is that the employee they have in the department has the use of the city car. All those savings are going to be reflected in us giving up this department to be run by the county."

However, Mayor John Labrosse contended that even though the county's takeover of the department sounded "well and dandy," he needs "assurance" that those seeking assistance and help through the department would be tended to.

"We have 90 to 100 people at any given time receiving different types of services from rent assistance on to food, whatever we can offer," he said. "My thing with the county is, I wanted some type of guarantee from the county on what was going to happen to these people…This service would indeed have to be, for me, either equal or better and I would need some type of guarantee from the county that this is a feasible thing. I need to know that these people are going to be taken care of and not end up on the streets of our city."

One of the reasons for Labrosse's hesitation in handing over control of the department to the county is how the county is handling the homeless in the area.

"As you know in the past few months, there was some back and forth between human services, as far as the homelessness issue in town," he explained. "I myself had some issues in the way the county was dealing with it. But this is something for me. I need some answers from the county…as far as the homeless people go, they do well with their residents but with the rest of the people who use that shelter I think its almost a disservice to our city at times because those people end up on the streets every single night of the week, 24/7, 365 days a year."

Deputy Mayor Kathleen Canestrino agreed that answers should be sought before the city moves forward with a decision.

"I absolutely agree with the Mayor that if anyone has questions we need to have answers to those questions before we make a decision," she said. "That is very, very important."

Greenman and Canestrino also contended that the city can only serve single individuals — those who are married, even if they do not have children, and single parents have to seek assistance from the county.

Councilman Leonardo "Leo" Battaglia said that the city should look into getting more information if it would save the residents money.

"I agree that we should be looking to eliminate any duplication of services because that is the only way we are going to save some money," he said. "When we talk about $400,000…if we can get the service and save the money, why not?"

Aside from setting up a meeting with the county in hopes of receiving answers, City Manager Stephen Lo Iacono thinks a meeting with the city's current Human Services Department Director Agatha Toomey is essential.

Anthony Rottino, head of economic development and redevelopment for the city of Hackensack, was also present at the meeting and detailed the cost of the department to the governing body.

"Although I understand that no one likes change, and I respect Toomey's 38 years for the city, sometimes you need progress and have to move along as you go," Rottino said. "The 95 to 100 people serviced by the Hackensack office is costing the city an excess of $4,000 a person... But from here, most people have to go to Rochelle Park to get food stamps…There are still only seven or eight municipalities in Bergen County that still have a social services office."

According to Rottino, during his conversations with the Bergen's Board of Social Services the county has stated that if the city decides to hand the department over, the county would set up a transition office or out reach office in Hackensack in which existing clients would be taken care of.

Toomey, who was present during the work session, spoke to the governing body about her disdain over the city possibly transferring the human services department to county control.

"The elimination of my office — I take offense that not one of you approached me before you went to the county and you spoke to the county before you spoke to me," she said. "You want to get rid of my office? You can get rid of my office. Yes, I know that. By law you can get rid of my office, but you never had the courtesy to speak with me. I have been here 38 years and I can't believe the treatment I've been getting in the past two months.….you want to give my department away? Go right ahead. But you are not thinking of the people that are working there. You are not thinking that four people are going to lose their jobs…You are making a big fat mistake in this town."

Toomey's husband, Chris, also addressed the Mayor and Council saying, "$400,000 on an office that is well needed in this town is a drop in the bucket."

In a subsequent Committee of the Whole meeting on Oct. 8, the topic came up again. Toomey presented her case, contending the absorption of the department into the county would be a grave decision.

"What verification has the city received from the county that the administration of public assistance by the county would be at no cost to the city," she asked the Mayor and Council, to which Canestrino answered that during the previous week's meeting between the governing body and members of the Bergen County Board of Social Services "there was a verbal verification." Labrosse said that if the city decides to move forward they would want something in writing from the county stating that the city would not pay.

In addition, Toomey asked the governing body if it was "aware that once the program is consolidated the city can not reverse it and take it back should it not work?" Labrosse responded that the governing body was aware of the non-reversal clause.

In an interview with the Chronicle, Alex Morales, interim management consultant for the county's Board of Social Services, stressed that the Board does not have a stance either way. It is simply made available to Hackensack's governing body to "answer any questions they might have."

In addition, Rottino said that the county was more than prepared to cater to the residents of Hackensack.

"They serve so many people, thousands, that an extra 100 clients is no big deal to them because they are prepared," he said, adding that the state does not refund Hackensack for administrative costs the city provides, while it does refund the county. Morales contended the same while stating that the county currently has a "ballpark of 30,000 families" seeking assistance, however, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact figure since some families receive assistance through only one program while others are in two or more programs. According to Morales, some of the 30,000 are Hackensack residents since many of the clients that the city caters to are sent to the county for further assistance — such as food stamps.

Rottino also said that the city is looking to see if the employees at Hackensack's Human Services Department "could be absorbed, transitioned" into a position at the county's office or other city openings to forgo layoffs.

The matter concerning the possible shutdown of the city department was also referenced in an Oct. 4 letter to the Mayor and Council by Assemblyman Gordon M. Johnson (D-Bergen). Johnson stated that the city should "consider the feasibility of having the County Board of Social Services take over the operation of the city's social service needs."

According to Johnson, "Bergen County also has a Board of Social Services which does similar work on a countywide basis. The Boards have similar missions and goals, and many of the services they provide are duplicative. A merger would provide services in a more efficient manner, saving the superior resources of the County Board. The County Board's larger staff would also be able to accommodate more applicants from Hackensack…Such a change would prove fruitful, and free up resources and funds to tackle the other problems facing the city."

City spokesman Thom Ammirato asserted that there is no set timeline as to when the governing body will reach a decision since discussions and information gathering are still taking place. Ammirato also mentioned that the mayor has many doubts and questions he would like answered that has made him the "most reluctant," of the governing body, to hand over the department to the county.

"These meetings was primarily a means for us to get more information," Canestrino said. "That was the purpose of the open meeting [Sept. 30]. We called that meeting because we had a few issues we wanted to discuss openly in public. Really, all we are doing at this point is gaining information. Before we would even contact you, and I'm very sorry we offended you by not doing that first, we have to understand if this is feasible and realistic because we just don't know….this is something we are looking into. We haven't made any decisions. We are just looking into exploring the possibility. What is the program? What do they offer? And, next, we have to compare it to the program we currently have. That is really where we are today."

Email: vazquez@northjersey.com

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/228286091_Hackensack_looks_into_the_possibility_of_handing_welfare_office_to_county.html?page=all#sthash.6XxtaQe1.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
Council should consider merging

To the Editor: As the new Hackensack Council reexamines the governance of the city to establish a more efficient and transparent government, the council should look at merging the Hackensack Board of Social Services with the Bergen County Board of Social Services. The boards have similar missions and goals, and many of the services they provide are duplicative. A merger would provide services in a more efficient manner, saving the taxpayers of Hackensack a substantial amount of money. Such a change would prove fruitful, and free up resources and funds to tackle the other problems facing the city. In the face of an uncertain fiscal future, I feel it makes sense to use the resources of the county to administer to the needs of the city's indigent population.

Gordon M. Johnson
Teaneck
Assemblyman, District 37

- See more at:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/opinions/228287331_Letters__Hackensack__Oct__18.html#sthash.M1toZBMP.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
http://www.northjersey.com/hackensack/Good_Samaritan_overwhelmed_by_public_support_takes_stand_for_homeless.html?page=all 

"City officials said they submitted a plan to the state on Tuesday to close the department in a bid to save about $400,000 a year. Officials say the move, which had been discussed for months, was unrelated to Brady’s case."

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
This is simply, not a good idea.  County Social Services is way too big and inefficient.  Individuals seeking help are just one in a million and are treated like second class citizens.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
Hackensack welfare chief who cut assistance to ex-homeless man got $93,000 payout for unused benefit time
Wednesday, November 13, 2013    Last updated: Thursday November 14, 2013, 6:05 PM   
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

The Hackensack human services director who cut public assistance to James Brady, the former homeless man who reported finding $850 on the street, received a windfall of $93,000 in a payout for unused benefit time 2½ years ago.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/bergen/Hackensack_welfare_chief_got_93000_payout.html?page=all#sthash.QUDPQPbo.dpuf
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:19:43 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Northjersey.com: News : Opinion/Letters
The Record: Letters, Tuesday, Nov. 19
Tuesday November 19, 2013, 6:20 AM
The Record

Welfare chief had to follow the rules

Regarding "Welfare chief got $93,000 payout" (Page A-1, Nov. 14):

Rules and laws are made to be followed. I was not aware that following the law is discretionary. Applying rules differently to individuals is discriminatory.

If Hackensack Human Services Director Agatha Toomey had not applied the rules to James Brady, she could, and probably would, have been cited for not doing her job.

If the law or rule is bad, then it should be changed. But that is not in the purview of the director.

The abuse being heaped on this caring, dedicated, 38-year career employee of the City of Hackensack is unconscionable.

Is this a vendetta because she took issue at a recent council meeting regarding secret plans to hand over the city's Human Services Department to Bergen County?

And what in the world do the salary benefits she received more than two years ago have to do with the fact that she followed the rules in the case of Brady?

Glenda Ferguson

Hackensack, Nov. 15

The writer is chairwoman of the Hackensack Local Assistance Board.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/opinions/232453221_The_Record__Letters__Tuesday__Nov__19.html?page=all#sthash.DpEnCDRv.dpuf
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:16:02 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
Hackensack decides to close welfare office, hand over responsibility to county
Friday, November 29, 2013
BY  JENNIFER VAZQUEZ
NEWS EDITOR

HACKENSACK — After months of discussion officials approved to dissolve the city's welfare office – opting to use county services — in a move that will save the municipality $400,000 annually.

The city's Human Services Department provides food, medical and housing assistance, among other programs.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/233798551_Hackensack_decides_to_close_welfare_office__hand_over_responsibility_to_county.html?page=all#sthash.ecIjsjQE.dpuf

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »
While I strongly support the current administration, I believe this is simply not a good move.  Also, while I have not met Mrs. Toomey, I believe that she was unfairly given the blame for doing her job.  She was put in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

However, I do not believe that employees should be reimbursed for excessive amounts of unused sick and vacation days. The current rules regarding reimbursement does not make the payment illegal.   I hope that this administration will restrict the amount of days that may be carried over into the next year.  Like most businesses, a use it or lose it standard should be set.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
The decision was not about Ms. Toomey, it was in the works long before the recent homeless controversy.

I don't like to see public employees feeding off the trough.  This practice of cashing in on sick days has irritated me for decades. I would look to our State Legislature and the Governor as the most likely resolution of this problem. Especially this Governor; he really wants to reign in on public employee spending.  NJ is one of the worst states; the pensions and the benefit packages far exceed what the average person could ever achieve in the private sector.  It is unwarranted, and it is costing the taxpayers.

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
I believe you misunderstood my statement. I am aware that the transfer of the Human Services Department was in the making in advance of the Brady situation.  I have previously expressed my opinion regarding that transfer.

My statement regarding Mrs. Toomey was that she was vilified for simply doing her job.  If she had done differently, she would have been vilified for changing the rules.

With regard to the my statement in respect to the payout for unused sick and vacation days, does not speak only to Mrs. Toomey, but to all employees.  It was a legal payment.  In the future, those payments should be limited.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
We are in agreement. Thanks for clarifying

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 11:21:32 PM »
Sick time payouts a budget burden for Hackensack and other Bergen County towns
Monday December 2, 2013, 10:43 PM
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Hackensack’s welfare director made headlines when she cut off public assistance to a homeless man who failed to report an $850 reward he earned for doing a good deed.

The payments and the fiscal problems they engender are a long-standing issue in Hackensack. But they are by no means unique to Bergen’s county seat. The payouts have led some towns and cities like Hackensack to borrow millions for the payments, easing the immediate financial burden but imposing added cost on taxpayers who did not benefit from the services of the recipients. While most towns now cap sick-time payouts for recent hires, they’re still facing liabilities that will weigh on property taxes for years.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/hackensack/Sick_time_payouts_a_budget_burden_for_Hackensack_and_other_Bergen_County_towns.html?page=all#sthash.3SqxutPu.dpuf

anything