Author Topic: Building Department  (Read 4877 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Building Department
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Hackensack construction official to retire; had been suspended twice
Wednesday, November 20, 2013    Last updated: Wednesday November 20, 2013, 7:53 AM
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — Joseph Mellone, the construction official mired in scandal over alleged sexual harassment and code enforcement oversight, has submitted his notice of retirement.

Mellone, who was hired in 2002 and heads the Building, Housing and Land Use Department, informed city officials on Monday that he will retire, said city spokesman Thom Ammirato. Officials would not say whether Mellone's departure is related to the controversies surrounding the twice-suspended official.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/232616971_Hackensack_construction_official_to_retire_building_official_to_retire.html?page=all#sthash.fOqVtjw7.dpuf

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Building Department
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »
The last of the Zisa's in city hall.  He did a lot in terms of code enforcement, and despite any other flaws or issues, that should be recognized. 

Just ride around Hackensack and look. You don't see a lot of dilapidated properties anymore.  I would say that half of the credit for that goes to Michael Melfi, and the other half to Joe Mellone. The Zisa administration was one step better than the Cerbo administration, and the Melfi-Townes administration was two steps better than the Zisa's on this issue. Developers actually complained to me that "Hackensack is tough with inspections", and "Hackensack actually inspects inside every single unit in a new construction multi-unit building, no other city does that". And let's not forget the inspections of all the parking garages after the collapse on Prospect Ave, including actions taken at Summit & Essex.  I am hopeful that the LaBrosse administration will be equally vigilant with code enforcement and inspections.

I remember back in the days of Larry Manning, it was like pulling teeth to get code enforcement to do anything. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Building Department
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
The Record: Separation pains
Sunday November 24, 2013, 9:30 AM
The Record

WE WELCOME the news that Joseph Mellone, the city of Hackensack's construction official, is retiring, but we hope his departure won't be another case of the bad old days of Hackensack coming back to haunt the new administration.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/opinions/233195051_The_Record__Separation_pains.html

anything