Author Topic: North Jersey Media Articles  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
North Jersey Media Articles
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:56:34 PM »
I recently got a call from the North Jersey Media Legal Department.  They've asked that we stop copying/pasting full articles on this site. While I always believed that our reproducing the articles with a referring link was "fair use", they disagree.  I've asked if we could enter into some kind of licensing agreement so that we can continue to reprint full articles.  That remains a possibility.

For 10 years now, this site has been the repository of all things Hackensack.  We've catalogued a lot of city data that would otherwise be lost or at least not readily available.  News articles are an important part of the "historic record" and I would hope that NJM would let us continue reprinting full articles. 

Until we get this settled, I would ask that members not reprint full articles.  Instead, please post the link to the article with any relevant part of the article.

Thanks.
Al
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:00:26 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: North Jersey Media Articles
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
That seems like a rather odd request. How would the posting of full articles by a site that's concerned with preserving the city's history harm NJMG?

What if their links go bad someday? Are we to be left with dead links and no story/history for future researchers?

This is not far-sighted thinking and I hope it gets resolved quickly.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »
If an article is included in it's entirety as published with full credit given to it's source there SHOULD be no reason to complain. This issue has no similarity to Franklin's 9/11 flag photo where NJMG  has  a product and the right to govern and protect it's use.

I am sure that Perry White will follow up and let us know what is going on.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »
I agree with Homer, this time.

What is The Record's motivation?  I don't know, maybe they think that future historians will pay them for the right to research Hackensack stuff, and they won't earn that money if all the historians have to do is to log onto www.hackensacknow.org.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:34:03 PM »
So here's the deal:

After some back and forth with NJM, I've learned more about their concerns. In order of importance:

Legal: They own the content, - articles and photos.  It's copyrighted and they need to protect it.
Economic: They are in the business of selling news. Giving it away, even in small amounts, is not good business sense.
Technical: Having the articles in multiple websites confuses the search engines and potentially misdirects people away from their content. Linking articles back to their site does not solve that problem. 

I had unsuccessfully argued that, as a community site, they might consider a licensing arrangement. They declined.  I’m told that, with the new content system they rolled out in 2005, article links won’t expire. I hope that’s true.

As for posting articles, here are their guidelines: http://www.northjersey.com/aboutus/reprints.html

I wish I had better news.

Al

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »
I guess that it is what it is. My question is : if they own the content and the content is the paper or an article in the paper, didn't I just purchase that content for a buck which is the price I paid to buy the content that they are producing and selling? If the answer is no, then what did I just buy for my dollar? I am sure that they have an answer and case law to backup their position.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
My understand that is the subscriptions/newsstand price accounts for only a fraction of their costs/revenue.  Advertising is the bulk of it.  In general, print media is struggling and the internet is the new battleground. So, news organizations are doing what they feel they need to do to protect their online content/product. Fair enough.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »
I wonder if their demands are backed up by case law.  I bet they are overstepping.  A good lawyer could investigate.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure NJM is on solid ground:

Question: Can I copy an entire news article from a commercial news web site and post the article on my web site?

Answer: The fair use doctrine, as currently interpreted by the courts, probably would not entitle you to do so. Even though news items are factual and facts themselves are not protected by copyright, an entire news article itself is expression protected by copyright.

A court would apply the four factor fair use analysis to determine whether such a use is fair. In Los Angeles Times v. Free Republic, the court found that such a use was minimally -- or not at all -- transformative, since the article ultimately served the same purpose as the original copyrighted work. The initial posting of the article was a verbatim copy of the original with no added commentary or criticism and therefore did not transform the work at all. Although it is often a fair use to copy excerpts of a copyrighted work for the purpose of criticism or commentary, the copying may not exceed the extent necessary to serve that purpose. In this case, the court found that only a summary and not a complete verbatim copy of the work was necessary for the purpose of commentary and criticism.

The court also found that although the website solicited donations and advertised the services of another website, the overall nature of the website was non-commercial and benefited the public by promoting discussion of the issues presented in the articles on the website. However, the court found that the nontransformative character of the copying outweighed the consideration of its minimally commercial nature.

Finally, and most importantly, the court found that posting entire news articles on the website had an adverse market effect on the copyright owners.

See L.A. Times v. Free Republic, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5669 (C.D. Cal. 2000).

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
I hope chillingeffects.org doesn't come after you for posting that question and their reply in its entirety.  ;D
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

anything