Author Topic: Super Bowl Boulevard + the GWB's SB necklace  (Read 3217 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Super Bowl Boulevard + the GWB's SB necklace
« on: February 01, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »
Since going to Super Bowl XLVIII was not gonna happen (so near and yet.......), I decided that going to the outdoor NFL Experience - Super Bowl Boulevard in Manhattan - would be an interesting alternative shoot. I also shot SB-related things on the way there and back, plus one more interesting thing that night that nearly froze my shooting fingers to get.

I took the 165 bus (NJ Transit) to and from the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 41st & 8th Ave. On the way there, I was on an express bus on the New Jersey Turnpike, saw MetLife Stadium - the SB venue - from my window and got a decent shot at 55mph. It's as close as I was going to get to the big game.

At the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel sat a large NFL Super Bowl XLVIII bus, which was parked all week between two of the Manhattan-bound tubes. I noticed it at the last second and got a clear shot. At the other end of the tunnel sat another bus by the NJ-bound tubes.

Once off the bus, I played tourist and shot everything that caught my eye, starting with the statue of Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden in front of the bus terminal. Continuing south on 8th Ave, I came across another NY/NJ interaction: an accident between a NYC taxi-van and a NJ small truck.

I walked down to 34th St and then headed east to Broadway. The plan was to start at the southern end of Super Bowl Boulevard and then head north to the 47th St terminus.

By far, the longest line - which appeared to have hundreds of people on it - was to get inside an indoor facility to have a picture taken with the glass/plastic-enclosed Vince Lombardi trophy. As I walked past the facility, I noticed that the back of it had a clear enclosure and there inside was the trophy sitting right there, so I shot it from outside.

Interspersed with the NFL stuff up Broadway and back down 7th Ave are shots of some of the characters and scenery of Times Square. While walking down 42nd St to the bus terminal, I got some unexpected shots of the handsome starting quarterbacks.

On the bus ride home while on Boulevard East in Weehawken, I saw the Bud Light Hotel docked at Pier 88 across the river and took the final shot of the trip..................but I had one more SB-related picture to take that evening.

The "necklace" of the George Washington Bridge had been changed to orange and green - the two SB teams' colors..........orange from the New Jersey tower and green from the New York tower. A single white light separated the two at the necklace's low point - the border between the two states.

The pictures are in an online Canon photo album. Click the below link, then on "Album Details", and then click on the small red TV-shaped icon to launch the slide show.

http://xrl.us/SuperBowlBoulevard

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Boulevard + the GWB's SB necklace
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
The GWB necklace shot would have been even better if it showed the fat guy moving the cones.

anything