Author Topic: 1860 Hackensack Locomotive  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
1860 Hackensack Locomotive
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
Bob Gatsik sent this to me for posting:

I was going through my Father, William J. Gatsik’s belonging’s and found this amazing photo and info sheet about the Hackensack Locomotive dating back to civil war era.

My father William J. Gatsik was a business owner in Hackensack for 60 years owning the ‘Jersey State Plumbing and Heating Supply Company’,  formerly located at 126 State Street Hackensack, NJ and was a Hackensack Middle School  Teacher before that.

Credit: William Gatsik/Charles Ira

Thanks Bob.  Good find.

Locomotive-engine of the Civil War period, Railroads and Telegraph were first brought into systematic use in warfare back In 1863, during the War Between The States, and they contributed to the Union victories which helped re-elect Abraham Lincoln t o the presidency. In 1864, The Hackensack, proud 4-2-0 of the Hackensack & New York Railroad, which later became part of the Erie, was built in 1864 by the Rogers Locomotive Works in Paterson, N.J., and doubtless did her share in carrying on the war, The Hackensack & New York, only 4.88 miles long, owned two locomotives and 18 cars in 1870 and operated between Hackensack and Bergen Junction, N.J., This standard gauge line was later extended to the N.Y. State line to connect with the broad gauge (6ft) gauge Erie Railroad, Even before this connection however, the Hackensack & New York was leased and operated by the road of which it later became a part.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: 1860 Hackensack Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:04 AM »
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness