Author Topic: Richard Lenk  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Richard Lenk
« on: June 03, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »
Richard Lenk, 77, teacher and expert on Bergen history
June 3, 2014    Last updated: Tuesday, June 3, 2014, 1:21 AM
By JAY LEVIN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Richard W. Lenk, who was a leading expert in Bergen County history, died last Tuesday at Bergen Regional Medical Center's nursing home. He was 77.

He had dementia the past several years, according to Peter Helff, who held his power of attorney and was a former teaching colleague.

The lifelong Paramus resident imparted his knowledge as a history professor at Bergen Community College, as Hackensack city historian and as president of the Bergen County Historical Society. He was a captivating lecturer, recalled Helff, who taught math at BCC.

"One semester I had a class across the hall from him, and it was just so interesting to listen to him," Helff said. "He had the ability to tell a story about anything. He was a true scholar who lived his work."

http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/top-obituaries/richard-lenk-77-teacher-and-expert-on-bergen-history-1.1027936

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Richard Lenk
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Professor Lenk was somewhat of a mentor to me when I became interested in City history.  We would meet frequently in the basement of City Hall and go over the old meeting minutes together.  He told the most delightful stories about growing up in town and the people who lived here.  I miss those talks and am very grateful for what he imparted.