Author Topic: JOHNSON PUBLIC LIBRARY NEEDS YOUR HELP  (Read 10680 times)

Offline busrider162

• View Profile
JOHNSON PUBLIC LIBRARY NEEDS YOUR HELP
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:18:50 AM »
Your Library Needs Your Help

What's going on

The Hackensack City Council has cut the Johnson Public Library budget by $239,904 this year in 2014, almost a 10% cut. The Library will receive LESS than what the Library received four years ago in 2010.

If library funding is not restored, programming, services and staff will be cut next year. The current cuts will ultimately lead to the library being CLOSED for one or more days a week. And the library has been warned that there may be more cuts.

What you can do

SIGN A PETITION AT: http://savejpl.org/?utm_source=Campaign+Created+2014%2F10%2F01%2C+3%3A26+PM&utm_campaign=Save+JPL+Email+10%2F1&utm_medium=email

SUPPORT YOUR LIBRARY AT THE NEXT CITY COUNCIL MEETING ON October 21st at 7pm, City Hall, 65 Central Avenue

OR CONTACT YOUR COUNCILPERSON, ROSE GREENMAN, WHO WAS APPOINTED TO THE LIBRARY BOARD:

New Hackensack council officially open for business
Friday, July 12, 2013
BY  JENNIFER VAZQUEZ
NEWS EDITOR
Hackensack Chronicle

A packed City Hall witnessed five council members take the oath of office after winning all open seats in the May 14 non-partisan municipal election.

John Labrosse, Kathleen Canestrino, David Sims, Leonardo "Leo" Battaglia, and Rose Greenman, who all ran as the Citizens for Change slate, were sworn in that night.

During the reorganization, council members were appointed as liaisons to the different city departments. Both Labrosse and Canestrino will serve on the Planning Board, assisting in overlooking the downtown's redevelopment projects. Battaglia was named liaison to the Assistance Board. Greenman was appointed to the Library Board while Sims was named Police Commissioner and liaison to the Recreation Board.

Offline regina

• View Profile
Re: JOHNSON PUBLIC LIBRARY NEEDS YOUR HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
I have questions about this. I have heard the City's side - we have to tighten our belts. Who from the Library supporters can I contact?

The Library budget is $3,000,000. Almost all of that comes from the taxpayers. The Library does not seem to have to provide details to the public as to how the money is spent, just bottom line numbers.

The City budget was approved months ago. Why didn't someone from the Library speak up then? What City services do they propose be cut to restore this funding? I don't know what they expect can be done.

Where is the money coming for this budget campaign? Fundraising, donations? I hope not the Library budget.

Who is the group running this? I think it would be a better use of time and resources to start a Friends of the Library group rather than fight the City.

When are Trustee meetings? Are agenda & minutes available to the public? I think under OPMA & OPRA this should all be available.

Does anyone have any answers?

Offline busrider162

• View Profile

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
No answers to my questions?

I requested a copy of the most recent library budget. I received 2013 Budget that was submitted to CFO October 2012. I do not know why there is no record of 2014 Budget submitted to CFO October 2013.

2013 Budget shows Revenue of $3,180,134 of which $2,957,777 is Municipal Appropriations. Expenditures are Personnel - $2,160,841, Library Materials - $272,520, Honorariums - $18,746, Furniture & Equipment - $53,948, BCCLS/Computerization - $58,574, "Other" - $615,505

Attached is the Transfer Calculation Form (NJSA 40:54-15 Annual report, identification of excess funds to municipality Return of Excess Funds)
This shows available funds of $3,653,334 - $473,200 MORE than the budget. It also shows a "carry forward" of $635,557 for 2013. The 2014 "carry forward" is $782,000 NOTE - this refers to "return of excess funds" - was this money put in the bank by the Library or returned to the taxpayers?

Given these numbers and the amount carried forward each year I do not understand how the Library can say the sky is falling. Can anyone explain this? From what I see, the numbers say they are doing OK.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:15:36 PM by regina »

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »
Did you know:
City donation of $959,00 to Library in 2014 ranks #1 compared to ten next largest towns in Bergen County?
In 2013 City donation to Library was $1,090,000?
Fort Lee, Mahwah & Lodi make no donation to their Libraries? It's not required.
The above donations are in addition to State mandate of $1.8 million in 2013 and $1.7 million in 2014? (As property values decrease tax base & revenue decrease so mandated amount decreases)
City ranks #3, behind Fair Lawn & Bergenfield, in per capita donation of $22.31 in 2014?
Dollar amount of City donation was reduced by is $103,439, not $239,000?  (Balance of $109,465 is due to reduced property values, which reduced the mandated amount)
The Library has $1,039,407 available for spending? (Trustee Account, Operating Account, Endowment Fund)
The Library also has $787,799 in restricted funds? (Includes $513,397 reserved for capital improvements)
The City bonded $160,000 in 2007 to pay for Library roof? (A capital improvement)
The City bonded $237,000 in 2010 to pay for Library HVAC? (A capital improvement)
Numbers do paint quite a picture - City has been very generous with their donation, plus has paid for capital improvements (with bond interest), and the Library has money in the bank.
What's the real reason behind the attack on the City? The numbers show it certainly is not money!

Offline busrider162

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »
More Info. If anyone wants more than this then go to the City Council Meeting on October 21st to have your questions answered by the librarians themselves:

Your Library Needs Your Help
More Information On Your Library’s Funding

Thank you, Hackensack!

We would like to take this opportunity, first to thank all of you who are standing behind the library as we make our case to the city for JPL's value to the community. The response from you, Hackensack's residents, has been overwhelmingly positive, reflecting the high value you place on the city's local library and its commitment to lifelong learning.

Library Appropriations

We want to clarify some misconceptions about the library's budget.
New Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 40:54-8) sets the minimum funding for municipal public libraries and for many years, the city has recognized our unique needs as a large urban library and funded us above the minimum rate. Many libraries in Bergen County, in fact, do receive more funding from their respective municipalities than the bare minimum because substantially more funding is required to run a forward-thinking, modern library. 

Here are some highlights of what we have accomplished just over the last four years:

•   Helped over 500 Hackensack residents each year through free individual training sessions to gain knowledge and skills in:
•   computer literacy
•   resumes and cover letters
•   job search and networking skills
•   Added English as a Second Language classes and regular outreach to the significant Latino population of Hackensack
•   Added weekly teen events and activities that provide recreational and educational opportunities for Hackensack youth
•   Updated and increased children's activities to include relevant technology literacy
•   Added weekly "Inspect Your Gadget" classes for hands-on help with mobile devices
•   Created monthly digital literacy classes that expose community members to new and exciting technology tools and resources
•   Started a collection of video games that enables people to try before they buy
•   Upgraded and added additional computers for public use that greatly reduced wait times
•   Installed iPad stations for kids to learn and experiment with the latest technology
•   Greatly expanded classes, events, movie screenings, speaker-led discussions, book clubs, concerts, and creative workshops. By the end of 2014, we expect over 11,000 people will       have attended these engaging programs at JPL.

Reserve Fund

The library does maintain a state-recommended reserve of 20% of our annual budget from year to year, which is a common and prudent management practice. It is often used to balance the budget, and for emergency repairs that are essential to preserve the safety and beauty of our historic building which is over 100 years old. For example, this past June, a critical part in the elevator broke down and needed replacement--a costly emergency that would have been exacerbated had we not exercised fiscal responsibility and set aside an appropriate sum. Continued budget cuts would force us to drain this reserve to pay for day-to-day expenses otherwise covered under a healthy budget, and we would be unable to weather unforeseen emergencies.

Some of the increased appropriation was used to create a Capital Fund three years ago. This fund is restricted to planned building projects (like our lighting ballast replacements and roof replacement last year).

Numbers don't paint the whole picture...

When the library's budget is slashed to the extent that it has been this year, that translates to significant losses for every resident of Hackensack. Numbers don't paint the whole picture. The last four years of generous funding have had a real positive impact on thousands of Hackensack families. The library is part of that family and our mission has and always will be to educate, empower, and enrich the Hackensack community.

So again, thank you for sticking by us and hearing us out. We look forward to seeing many of you at the next City Council Meeting on October 21 at 7pm to demonstrate your continued and impassioned support for your city's library.

Sincerely,
Your Librarians &
The Board of Trustees of the Johnson Public Library

SUPPORT YOUR LIBRARY AT THE NEXT CITY COUNCIL MEETING
OCTOBER 21, 7PM
CITY HALL
65 CENTRAL AVE
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:00:16 AM by busrider162 »

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
Rather than go to the Council meeting people should be encouraged to go to the Library Trustees' meeting at 4:00 on Tuesday October 14th at the Library to see how they can help. Form a Friends of the Library group, donate, volunteer, whatever you can do. The City's budget it stretched. The Library has resources. If all this energy was put into helping at the Library it would probably accomplish more. What is going to be accomplished by going to the Council meeting? Go to the source. Ask the Trustees & Librarians at their meeting how you can help.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:20:40 AM by regina »

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
In accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act (Chapter 231 P.L. 1975), the regular meetings of the Johnson Free Public Library Board of Trustees for 2014 will take place on the premises of the Main Library, 274 Main Street, Hackensack, NJ at 4:00 P.M. as follows:

January 14
February 11
March 11

April 8
May 13
June 10

September 9
October 14
November 11
December 9

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »
I went to the Board meeting yesterday. It's clear people love the Library, I don't know anyone who doesn't. It is also clear that the Council liaison failed miserably in communicating the needs if the Library and the constraints of the City. Isn't that why she is there? She was not even there yesterday.
The numbers are still fuzzy to me. Hopefully the City CFO will clarify some issues. Bottom line, the Library is concerned that they may have to dip into their reserve to cover any unforeseen expenses. They were reassured that the City will help, as they have in the past, should a need arise. Not all Board members seemed receptive. I was encouraged to hear that a Friends of the Library group is being explored.
I completely understand the Library Board's position. I hope they understand that the City needs to operate within certain constraints and that basic City services (Police, Fire, etc.) cannot suffer in order to keep the free programs that are above and beyond keeping the doors open and books on the shelves. Maybe it's time for a nominal fee for those programs.

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
Who is the council's liaison to the Board?

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
Please disregard my previous question.  I found out that the liaison is Councilwoman Greenman.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:43:02 AM »
Library supporters in Hackensack plead for restored funding levels — or at least staying even

OCTOBER 21, 2014, 10:29 PM    LAST UPDATED: TUESDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2014, 10:31 PM
BY TODD SOUTH
STAFF WRITER | THE RECORD

HACKENSACK — Library supporters expected 50 people to show up to the City Council meeting Tuesday night. They got nearly 200, all pleading for no further cuts in library funding and, if possible, restoration in 2015 of money cut this year.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/library-supporters-in-hackensack-plead-for-restored-funding-levels-or-at-least-staying-even-1.1114200#sthash.LcRvCNFM.dpuf

anything