General Category > Hackensack History

Where is this?

(1/4) > >>

Editor:
This turned up on FB (Vintage Bergen County) as being in Hackensack circa 1920. What's burning in the background?

(Thanks John)

Homer Jones:
First of all this is a great photograph. Now the question is "where was it taken"? It looks like the vehicle in the center was an electrified trolley. Back in the 20's , I know that there were trolleys running on Hudson Street, Main Street and Passaic Street. It looks like the trolley picked up it's power from wires suspended from the power lines running along the Street.
Look at the burning building. Now, without the benefit of having been a firefighter, it appears that the burning floors could be above at least three floors from the bottom of the structure. Look at the water stream at the left of the building, it seems to be concentrating at the top of the bottom three floors. It looks like this building would have been a six or seven story structure. Even though there are one story residential buildings on the right of the building, Hackensack never had high rise residential construction until the 60's.
I would have to guess at this point that unless there was a major industrial or manufacturing  building that was six or seven stories in height, and was located along one of the trolley lines, the photo might not have been taken in Hackensack.
Perhaps Irons could shed some light on the photo?

BLeafe:
There was also a trolley on Summit Ave for a few blocks.

I have no idea where this is. If I had to guess, I would say maybe the SE corner of Passaic and Prospect because of possible lower elevation behind the building, but I really don't know if there was an apartment building there in the 20s.

just watching:
I agree with Homer's analysis, with one additional point.  I looked at the photo with a magnifying glass, and I believe that the water is being directed to the 6th story of the structure, which I believe is an industrial building in the 7-9 story range. I would date the photo at 1920 -  1939. 

No such building has ever existed in Hackensack, to my knowledge.  I do not believe this photo was taken in Hackensack.

just watching:
Maybe that is a trolley car which is en route to Hackensack, but the photo was taken in Paterson, and the fire is in Paterson ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version