Author Topic: Where is this?  (Read 24489 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Where is this?
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »
This turned up on FB (Vintage Bergen County) as being in Hackensack circa 1920. What's burning in the background?

(Thanks John)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:51:41 PM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
First of all this is a great photograph. Now the question is "where was it taken"? It looks like the vehicle in the center was an electrified trolley. Back in the 20's , I know that there were trolleys running on Hudson Street, Main Street and Passaic Street. It looks like the trolley picked up it's power from wires suspended from the power lines running along the Street.
Look at the burning building. Now, without the benefit of having been a firefighter, it appears that the burning floors could be above at least three floors from the bottom of the structure. Look at the water stream at the left of the building, it seems to be concentrating at the top of the bottom three floors. It looks like this building would have been a six or seven story structure. Even though there are one story residential buildings on the right of the building, Hackensack never had high rise residential construction until the 60's.
I would have to guess at this point that unless there was a major industrial or manufacturing  building that was six or seven stories in height, and was located along one of the trolley lines, the photo might not have been taken in Hackensack.
Perhaps Irons could shed some light on the photo?

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:28:06 AM »
There was also a trolley on Summit Ave for a few blocks.

I have no idea where this is. If I had to guess, I would say maybe the SE corner of Passaic and Prospect because of possible lower elevation behind the building, but I really don't know if there was an apartment building there in the 20s.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »
I agree with Homer's analysis, with one additional point.  I looked at the photo with a magnifying glass, and I believe that the water is being directed to the 6th story of the structure, which I believe is an industrial building in the 7-9 story range. I would date the photo at 1920 -  1939. 

No such building has ever existed in Hackensack, to my knowledge.  I do not believe this photo was taken in Hackensack.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:52:05 PM »
Maybe that is a trolley car which is en route to Hackensack, but the photo was taken in Paterson, and the fire is in Paterson ?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »
I thought maybe the Fairmount Hotel but that burned in the 1890's.

Googling images of "men's attire" for different time frames, I date the picture to somewhere between 1910-1920. 

I can't think of any tall buildings existing at that time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:46:13 PM by Editor »

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
I was thinking 406 prospect myself, which is what Bob also noted.   but while it was built in the 1920's at the latest, it didnt burn until 1931.(the first time it was severely damaged by fire). 

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:34 PM »
The photo shows no incline, no hill.  Therefore it can't be the corner of Prospect Avenue and Passaic Streets, which is where #406 Prospect stands.  I still say this is another city, most likely Paterson.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:22 PM »
I'm posting the screen-grab below so you can see the source. I'm also asking for more information.

May be one for History Detectives on the History Channel.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:38:04 PM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:44:02 PM »
The photo shows no incline, no hill.  Therefore it can't be the corner of Prospect Avenue and Passaic Streets

The downward angle of the wires going from the right pole to the much lower left pole is more severe than that of the wires going from the right edge to that right pole, indicating declining elevation.

Therefore.....................

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »
there absolutely is declining elevation from the photographer to the furthest pole from the photographer...

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »
Bring on the next photo.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
There's more problems with this photo, that rule out the corner of Prospect and Passaic.  The trolley line went from Passaic Street to Franklin, which angles to the NW, and then west on Hamilton Place from the intersection of Franklin, Hamilton, and Prospect.

The photo couldn't be looking west on Passaic Street, because the burning building would be on the wrong side of Passaic Street. And it couldn't be looking east down Hamilton from Summit Ave.  There might be a very slight incline in the photo, but not enough to be that block of Hamilton Place, and then the building is a block over on Passiac Street.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:02 AM »
The trolley line went from Passaic Street to Franklin, which angles to the NW, and then west on Hamilton Place from the intersection of Franklin, Hamilton, and Prospect.

That's correct. The trolley didn't cross Prospect at Passaic St - at that point, it was a block north on Hamilton.

This picture will probably turn out to be from Ogden, Utah (thank you, Robert Klein!).

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »
If you drive west on Passaic Street and make a right on Franklin, there is usually a pothole that appears in the Winter just after the turn where you can see the track that is buried under the pothole. Not sure if this has any religious significance or not.