Author Topic: Milling and Paving of Prospect Avenue  (Read 8452 times)

Offline swapcatsr@aol.com

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Milling and Paving of Prospect Avenue
« on: July 23, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
Are they doing other road work on Prospect Avenue or has the milling started today and will the road be blocked off tomorrow in the a.m  again:

7/30/2015 - Prospect Avenue Milling and Paving
Milling (for paving) will begin on Prospect on Thursday, July 30th.  Paving will begin on Prospect on Friday, July 31st starting AT 6PM and continue to 7AM Saturday.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:01:39 AM by swapcatsr@yahoo.com »

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
UPDATE: Milling and Paving of Prospect Avenue
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:03:06 AM »
7/30/2015 - Prospect Avenue Milling and Paving (Updated 7/24, 6:30pm)
Milling (for paving) will begin on Prospect on Thursday, July 30th.  Paving will begin on Prospect on Friday, July 31st starting AT 6PM and continue to 7AM Saturday.

Paving Prospect Ave. will take approximately 3 days.

Crews will start milling on Thursday the 7/30 at the hospital entrance and go as far as possible that night. Paving of that distance will take place on Friday night, the 7/31. The remainder of Prospect will be milled & paved on Monday the 8/3 and Tuesday 8/4 during the day.

Busses will continue uninterrupted and most bus stops will be open.  Bus riders may be required to walk up or back one stop at periods during paving. Riders should leave extra time for travel.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Milling and Paving of Prospect Avenue
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »
Last night I was on the 162 bus which arrived at Prospect and Beech at approximately 8:46 pm. The bus driver had no clue which way to go - not his fault. We went down Beech and turned left onto Overlook then left onto American Legion but we could not get back onto Prospect. The most dangerous thing was crossing Central and Prospect by foot. There were trucks, heavy machinery and frustrated drivers.

I am okay with the chaos and danger because Prospect must be repaved but better communication by those not directing traffic may have made the street condition safer for pedestrians.

HACKENSACK OEM: Paving Prospect starts at 4pm today. No Parking after 3pm. More info: http://www.hackensack.org/headlines/?FeedID=917 www.nixle.us/8QDW5

It's almost over.

Offline HackRes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
UNSAFE CROSSING ON PROSPECT AVENUE DURING CONSTRUCTION (Photos attached)

Last night, I got off a NJ Transit bus at Summit and walked east on Beech Street toward Prospect Avenue. There were a number of large trucks working on Prospect, blocking the intersection of Beech and Prospect. There were no clearly marked pedestrian zones.

Another woman and I wanted to cross Prospect in the crosswalk, but there was a truck blocking the intersection. So we walked toward the Eiffel Tower (151 Prospect Ave) and noticed a worker on the grass next to the sidewalk with a cement saw, pulling the cord to start it. I don't think he was aware we were so close.

We crossed Prospect in the middle of the street, and then headed back north to cross Beech. Just then, one of the trucks with a cherry picker-type extender almost hit the power lines above me and several other pedestrians. There was only one police officer on the scene, and he was doing nothing to ensure the safe passage of pedestrians or cars.

Immediately, I called the Police precinct to ask why they don't have more police coverage at that corner. The dispatcher said, "If the officer needs help, he'll call us." I explained that he was just standing there and cars and pedestrians were left to figure out how to navigate the obstacle course of trucks and workers. I said someone is bound to get hurt or worse. His response?  "I hope not."  (Seriously?)

This situation begs the following questions:
1. Who vetted this construction company, and were safety best practices laid out prior to approving permits?
2. Why are there no clearly defined pedestrian zones for crossing? Better yet, why was this part of Prospect not closed to pedestrian and vehicular traffic and a detour set up on Summit?
3. Who was responsible for notifying the community of this construction project? My building has no notices posted. Several cars were towed from Prospect, likely because no notices were posted at the time that they parked.
4. Why was there so little police presence (especially at rush hour)?

I am at a loss for whom to direct these questions to since I received nothing but apathy from Police Headquarters (safety does not seem to be their priority). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »
What should riders of NJT 162 expect with regards to pick up at the bus stops on Monday and Tuesday:

Milling of Prospect from Central to Passaic will start on Monday at 6am. There will be no parking on Prospect between Central and Passaic from 4am Monday until 6pm on Tuesday. All vehicles will be towed. Residents should park on Summit Sunday night to avoid towing.
---------------------------------------------------
Hackensack Office of Emergency Management
Hackensack Office of Emergency Management Friday July 31st, 2015 :: 11:03 a.m. EDT
    Forward Google Plus

Advisory

Prospect Avenue Road Resurfacing

This message replaces and supersedes all prior messages regarding Prospect Paving

Starting a 3pm Friday, there will be no parking on Prospect between Central and Essex. All vehicles parked on Prospect between Central and Essex will be towed. Paving will start at 4pm and will continue through the night. Crews will now start at Central and work south to Essex.

Prospect Avenue residents will need to find alternate parking locations pending completion of the paving, estimated to be at about 1AM. Parking is available on Summit where Police are suspending "resident parking only" pending job completion. Striping of the road will take place on Saturday with the street open to traffic.

Milling of Prospect from Central to Passaic will start on Monday at 6am. There will be no parking on Prospect between Central and Passaic from 4am Monday until 6pm on Tuesday. All vehicles will be towed. Residents should park on Summit Sunday night to avoid towing.

All information subject to change based on changing conditions.

Address/Location
Hackensack Office of Emergency Management
 205 State St
Hackensack, NJ 07601
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detour in Hackensack - Friday, July 31 through Saturday, August 1, 2015

NJ Transit July 31, 2015

Beginning at 6 p.m. on Friday, July 31 and continuing until 6 a.m. on Saturday, August 1, Prospect Avenue is closed between Essex Street and Central Avenue due to overnight paving work.

During this time, NJ TRANSIT Bus Route No. 162 in Hackensack will operate on a detour.

•Buses traveling toward Paramus from Essex Street and Prospect Avenue will continue on Essex Street, turn right on Summit Avenue, turn right on Central Avenue, turn left on Prospect Avenue and then will continue the regular route.

We apologize for any inconvenience this detour may cause. For further information, please call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily. 

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
As anticipated the NJT 162 was a little bit of a commuting nightmare. Expect delays. Go to the Central/Prospect or Central/Summit bus stop.

Maybe more of the same tomorrow.

At least the road between Central and Hackensack Hospital is nice and paved.

anything