Author Topic: Questions about Hackensack eateries..  (Read 23621 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Questions about Hackensack eateries..
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »
Hey gang, I was curious if anyone remembered the name of the place on the corner of Lodi St and So. State St many years ago, I think it was Daddy-O's or something like that? It changed names many times..curious if anyone remembers the name changes. Also the place on the corner of Lodi and Green St. Another "many turnover" spot. I can't help thinking that particular spot would get flooded a lot. Also there was an italian restaurant north of that corner who's name I can't remember..

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Hackensack eateries..
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:57:56 PM »
Are you thinking of Pinto's on Greene Street?

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
It was Pinto's on Green St, north of Lodi. They had the best muscles in marinara sauce. The place was always jumping off on a Friday or Saturday night, 45-50 years ago. The establishment on the corner of Lodi and Green was at one time named the Capital Restaurant. I believe the building was owned by the Santora family who lived upstairs and the mom ran the restaurant for many years, then leased it to other operators. The dad was a custodian with the Hackensack school system. All/many of the sons worked for the Sunshine Pickle factory that was located behind the building. I think the son I was friends with is still with Sunshine, but out in Las Vegas now.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »
Pinto's sounds right! I think I was there once in the 80's....and Capital also sounds right, I don't think I was ever in there though

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
In my 20's I used to go to the Capital on Saturday mornings and have breakfast at the counter while reading the Daily News. It was always slow there on Saturday. Decent food, cheap prices. The place on the corner of So. State and Lodi used to be a pizza place when I hung out in that neighborhood in the mid seventies. King Pizza? Pizza King?.... I never went there. There seemed like there was never any activity there, so I figured it probably wasn't good.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
I think that everybody is right on all counts. At one point in time Daddyo's (sp) was there on South State Street. I remember eating there once. The name changed quite often.

The Capital (o) Restaurant was on the Northeast corner of Lodi and Greene. That whole area was constantly under water.

Pinto's was a great restaurant. On Sunday afternoon local families ate in the front while there was a back room where families with kids would be directed to and the kids would run around without disturbing the diners in the front room.

About twenty years ago a funeral parlor establishment wanted to purchase the property for use as a crematorium.
This was not a popular application to the Board of Adjustment and was rejected. Mussels in marinara wins out every time.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »
King of Pizza was on So State by Coast Automotive, I would go there often as a kid...small place but really good pizza

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
In the 60's & 70's it was Helen's Hut.serving the best cheese steaks.. Pat' s & Geno's  of Philly have nothing over ...Helen ' s Hut.

But later on in 80's at the top of the rt  46  hill in lodi across  from Hank's Franks in the modern propane mini mall there was a place called Philly Willy's ... oh man he had topped H.H.....that was the best cheese steaks ever.. but it was a bad location. ..he lasted  2 years or so

After  it was Helen' s Hut that location was Taste of Italia another good  place for a good meal....the owner took I'll and his wife ran it into the ground. ... then Daddy's. ... and about 7 fly by night places since...

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
Taste of Italia is the name I most remember (I knew there was one specific I had forgotten)
I was a big Hanks Franks fan back in the day, I don't remember the place across the highway though. Hanks had great egg creams too. That was a regular Saturday stop for me in the 80's

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
ah.. Helen's Hut, that is what it was, when I used to hang out in that part of town. Again, I never ate there as it always looked like empty. Looks like I missed out.

On another note, Coast Automotive was mentioned in a post and I saw online that Andrew "Andy" Salnick, who, with his family owned Coast, passed away. He was a great guy, friendly, funny and always letting us teens hang out in his store, talking cars with him, his workers and his customers. A wealth of racing knowledge passed through that place. We always purchased our speed parts from Coast. Me and my buddies kept a bunch of pretty cool cars running and upgraded through Coast. 67 Mustang, 63 Nova, 66 Chevelle, 70 Chevelle, 70 Duster, 56 BelAir. Good times. Sad to see Andy leave so early.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »
Sad news, I remember him. He always answered the phone so cheerfully...."Coast auto, Andy!"
70 Barracuda, 73 Road Runner, 72 Chevelle, 73 Challenger....all driven with Coast's parts

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
R.I.P. Andy.... You Were a Good Man...
I'm glad I had the pleasure of knowing him...

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »
Daddy's on South State Street was great for a while, a place to buy your food, sit at a table and eat, and it was good food for a good price. Always busy in there. Then I went there one day, and it was surprisingly empty.  All of a sudden there was a waiter directing me to sit, I should have left, but I actually ordered food. And then he was hanging over me with a pepper grinder, asking if he can add some fresh ground pepper to my food.  Really ? At a blue-color burger joint ??? 

Me and all the other customers just wanted a place to get a good cheeseburger and fries and a soda for lunch, and pay normal price.  Instead, they though they could convince their lunch crowd to get the same food and pay more for it, and then even more to tip a waiter.  That was the last time I ever went there, and same for everyone else.  It went out of business. All I can say is ==== KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER BASE.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
There's that place also on Greene St that is now called Sal's. Many years ago it was a different name, I think it may have been a sit-down lunch type place at one point. Another spot that may have changed names a lot

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »
It was Club 80 .... for the longest time. ..

anything