Author Topic: Martino's Market  (Read 10979 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Re: Martino's Market
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
I remember that place, great meatball parm subs...I was only in there a few times as a kid but great that it's still there, not much of the "old neighborhood" type places left

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »
the old neighborhood moved out, or it might be more accurate to say that they got old and died, and their kids chose to live elsewhere.  Too much industry, too much mixing of land uses, too much dividing houses into apartments.

It just reaches a collective point, and then folks say "no thanks, I'll move to the west side of Hackensack, or out of Hackensack entirely.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:55:41 AM »
Good point, personally I felt that once Foschini bakery closed (or just changed names?) it was a true sign of the changing times. Does anyone know if they still have that little Italian feast every summer on Holt St between Lodi St and Broadway?

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
When I say "changing times" I meant it for that part of town (Lodi St)...there were a few Italian deli/markets in that area that one by one seemed to close, or become something else.

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
Used to eat at Martino's occasionally. It was good. They did not have the buffet at the time. It was whatever daily special they had. Foschini's was a great bakery. I believe they supplied all the Italian bread to the Hackensack school system cafeterias. Another good little place for lunch was Paul's Market on South Main St, around by Pink St.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
I used to go to Paul's sometimes too...I lived on New St at the time. When I lived on Hudson street my favorite spot was Frontier deli on the corner of Hudson and Moonachie Rd. They had great tuna salad and chicken salad subs

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
Since this thread started I had been looking forward to going there, imagine how I felt when I showed up there on Monday (sept 14) to a locked door...closed for some reason  on this Monday  >:(
I called the number and I got a message that said they will re-open on tues the 15th. Next time i'll call ahead

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
Then you should have waited until 4  and went to the lido and had a double sliced steak smothered with mozzarella w/ well done fries, as your second choice...

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 08:14:26 AM »
Had I been able to get back to town that would have been the choice. One thin crust pie for appetizer before the steak sandwich of course  :P

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »
Hey gang, happy to report I finally made it to Martino's this past Friday...and let me tell you, it was awesome! Great people, and the food was out of this world! They're now open Saturdays too...check it out!

anything