Author Topic: Chief Zisa (Post-Appellate Division Decision)  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Chief Zisa (Post-Appellate Division Decision)
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »
Regarding "Two cities bleed" (Editorials, Oct. 20):

The editorial made some important points about Hackensack taxpayers being forced to pay former Police Chief Ken Zisa $3 million in back pay and legal fees. As deputy mayor, I would like to add my own thoughts.

I am very disappointed in the manner in which this case was handled by the entire legal system, including the courts and the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office. I fully believe that the Hackensack police officers, who testified for the prosecution at Zisa's trial, were being truthful in representing the facts of the case. It's important to note that Zisa's convictions were overturned because of prosecutorial errors.

People should also be aware that Zisa has filed a formal tort claim notice to sue the city and indirectly the taxpayers for $30 million more in damages for his mental anguish, among other things. That would be a total of $33 million for the ex-chief. Mayor John Labrosse called that pure greed and contempt for taxpayers, and I completely agree.

In 2013 our new administration finally broke the stranglehold that the Zisa family held on Hackensack for three decades. Since then we have closed a huge budget gap and delivered the first city tax rate cut in 10 years. It's a shame that the legacy of the Zisa political machine still looms over taxpayers.

Kathleen Canestrino

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
Re: Chief Zisa (Post-Appellate Division Decision)
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
Since the COUNTY (not the city) prosecuted Ken Zisa, and he was found not guilty for prosecutorial errors, shouldn't the $30 million lawsuit be against the County ?  Isn't the County alone responsible for that ?

I was one of the activists who helped the Zisa's win in 1989.  We had no clue what the real intentions of the Zisa family were.  People like Geneva Youngblood told me privately what the Zisa's were really about. Youngblood said, outright, that if Jack Zisa was elected, his brothers would pushed up through the ranks of the police and made into the top brass. And that other relatives would be given other positions, and all the activists would just get a "thank you" and be slowly pushed aside.  And that is exactly what happened. We didn't believe her. We didn't listen.  She was right.