Poll

Should the School System impose uniforms?

Yes
3 (33.3%)
No
3 (33.3%)
Yes, but dress code only
3 (33.3%)
I don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: School Uniforms for Public Schools  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
School Uniforms for Public Schools
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »
School uniforms are now legal for public schools.  Should they be imposed by the Hackensack School System?  Is this a violation of free speech?  Share your thoughts. 

You must register to vote.  This is to prevent multiple votes by one person. Register here for free.

Article against uniforms: School Uniforms: A Threat To Individuality And Freedom

Article for uniforms: Uniforms could improve city's public education
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:14:08 PM by Editor »

Anthony

Re: School Uniforms for Public Schools
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »
Not a good idea.  Too many people would claim they couldn't afford them, and then what? 

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:51:57 PM »
The kids today want the sneakers that cost a fortune and name brand jeans, etc.  It would be cheaper to buy two or three uniforms and a pair of shoes.  The cost of a pair of Jordans or Iversons would cost more.  It would also eliminate peer pressure with regard to what is the latest fashion.  Everyone would have the same clothing.

ericmartindale

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:29:46 PM »
This shouldn't be an either/or choice.

I don't like the current dress codes, but with uniforms, too many kids would rebel against it, and wind up hating school.

Instead, I would favor much tighter restrictions on the current dress code. For example, something comparable to "business casual", but forkids. I would say no to T-shirts, but any shirt with a collar would be fine.  No jeans, but dockers or slacks would be fine.

This way a MUCH higher standard would be set, but there's still plenty of room for individuality.

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 02:00:45 PM »
I think that is a fair suggestion.  However, what would you recommend for girls?  I know that they can wear pants but what if they chose to wear a dress or skirt?  What skirt length? Where should the shirt cut off?  Should it be below the waist or above  the waist, etc?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 08:51:09 AM by itsme »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 10:54:34 AM »
In today's Record (North Jersey Briefs):

HACKENSACK -- School officials will soon begin reviewing surveys that asked parents whether students attending city schools should wear uniforms.

The school district sent surveys home with students in Grades K-6 last month. More than 1,000 responses have been received, said Schools Superintendent Joseph Montesano.

Montesano said if the district decides that it should require uniforms, the policy would likely begin with elementary school students.

School officials are still gathering information, and the committee reviewing the surveys is scheduled to meet again at the end of the month, Montesano said.

School board member Rhonda Williams-Bembry wants the district to adopt the policy. She said by having uniforms, students will focus more on learning than the latest fashion trends.

-- Monsy Alvarado

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 09:51:40 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »
In today's Record, "Your Views":

Regarding "Don't give up on school uniforms" (Your Views, Nov. 28) on uniforms and their apparent success in Secaucus:

Fort Lee is not Secaucus. What is needed in one may not be needed in the other.

For as long as I can remember, whenever I read an article or watched a news story about school uniforms in public schools, the policy was described as being a first step in turning a problem school system around. The last line of "School-uniform survey troubles some parents" (Page L-11, Nov. 22), the article referred to in the letter, mentioned Hackensack and Paterson as being two other school systems considering a school-uniform policy.

As a parent of two students enrolled in the Fort Lee school district, I believe that Fort Lee is not a school system in trouble; our children's test scores prove this. Whenever I go to my children's school, I notice a healthy, disciplined and engaging learning environment. Students are encouraged to think and make decisions for themselves. Why must we stifle their individuality with uniforms if we want them to grow into responsible citizens?

If Fort Lee adopts a school-uniform policy, I am afraid a signal will be sent to parents looking for a home in Bergen County that the Fort Lee school district is troubled. They might just pass Fort Lee by. What effect will that have on home values?

Art Elmers

Fort Lee, Nov. 28

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now