Author Topic: Staib Park Ice Skating  (Read 20998 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Staib Park Ice Skating
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2005, 03:19:14 PM »
DPW plowed the rink today.  The City Manager tells me conditions are pretty good for skating now.  A couple soft spots.  Hopefully, it'll freeze again tonight. 

ericmartindale

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 07:22:46 AM »
There was a big article in the Record a few years ago about a scandal regarding the fund-raising efforts for that rink. There was a policeman who stole the money, and he was caught red-handed. I think he lived in Maywood, I am unsure if he was a Hackensack cop or not. If anyone knows the date of that article, please advise.

Also, the Hackensack Riverkeeper completed a stream bank restoration project a year ago in Staib Park. It's almost inconceivable to meet that over $100,000 in grant moneys was spent. Almost all that money went into planning and environmental permitting. I could have gotten that job done in a few days and for a few thousand dollars, and I could have done it better. I would have volunteered my time to direct a construction crew, which would have taken a day or two, and another day to direct a landscaper to do the heavy plantings, and volunteers to do the rest. It's great that we have environmental laws, but it is sad to see the extent that they make streambank restoration projects into an economic drain, as well as a long drawn-out process.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 10:27:03 AM by Editor »

ericmartindale

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 05:38:48 PM »
I went down to Staib Park the other day to see if the ice was good for skating.

The pond was never filled by the Fire Department.  It's been cold enough for ice skating (it's frozen in Borg's Woods), but there's not enough ice to skate in Staib Park this year.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Ice Skating at Staib
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 09:21:27 AM »
The Staib Park Rink is Open!

Anthony

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 07:10:46 PM »
The DPW outdid itself once again!  Staib is the best I've ever seen it.  It's almost filled to the top, clean, and without much debris frozen into it.  My kids and their friends were there this afternoon skating until it got dark.  Although they were frozen themselves, they had a great time.  The DPW added a couple of much needed benches and have a sign at the entrance to the park letting everyone know whether the ice is ready to skate on.  The DPW's enthusiam is greatly appreciated.  This park is a jewel and I hope that everyone in the city takes advantage of it. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 09:37:59 AM »
The Staib Park Ice Skating Rink is now open, conditions permitting.

anything