Author Topic: Staib Park Ice Skating  (Read 20996 times)

Anthony

Staib Park Ice Skating
« on: October 26, 2004, 08:08:57 PM »
What can be done to make some modest improvements to the ice rink at Staib Park before winter starts?  Benches are needed so that you have someplace to sit and lace up.  Also, the rink needs to be maintained throughout the winter.  In the past there have been leaves, branches, bottles and other debris frozen in the ice making the skating less enjoyable and dangerous.  Temporary barricades would also be helpful in preventing cars from driving on the ice.  With a little special attention, the rink has the potential to be something special.   

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
Re: Staib Park Ice Skating
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 09:02:32 AM »
I use to love to skate there when I was a kid. We took care of it ourselves, and we had a big barrel for burning wood. We were there for hours on end. I miss that rink...

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 01:35:20 PM »
I remember it the same way.  It was a great place for a pick-up hockey game

Anthony

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 07:21:11 PM »
I have those same fond memories, growing up a couple of blocks from the park.  I can't wait to share them with my children this winter and hope the weather cooperates.  Staib Park is one of the city's best kept secrets and the rink makes it that much better.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 08:12:21 PM »
I spoke to the City Manager and he reached out to Hackensack DPW. 

DPW will take a look at the rink do what it can to make it safe and inviting.  There's talk of making a short berm to keep cars out, adding some garbage cans and perhaps some better lighting.

Any other suggestions?  This was a great idea. 

Al

Anthony

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 12:49:45 PM »
Better lighting would be ideal.  Thanks for taking an interest.

ericmartindale

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 05:22:56 PM »
Paint the asphalt using some very light color. Black (asphalt) absorbs heat and sunlight, this means the ice takes longer to freeze, and thaws out more quickly. Nowadays there are special "paints" made out of more permanent ingredients than traditional paint, which is likely to flake and peel. I also agree that a few benches would be good, as well as a permanent berm to prevent year-round vehicular access. Cars drive regularly from the end of Davis Avenue across the rink to the end of Coles Avenue, which is unnecessary. I too, skated there as a youth, and would agree that it is an undervalued and undermaintained assett to the parks system.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »
Update:  DPW put in a new fence to keep cars out of the rink.  They also re-sealed the 8" berm around the rink to hold in water and they cleared the rink of all debris. 

The City will see what it can do about temporary lighting.  Older, permanent lighting was vandalized and removed.  Still waiting on some benches. 

Does anyone what to volunteer to monitor the rink once complete?

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 04:03:29 PM »
I just took my 4 year old to the park yesterday, I played there all the time as a kid. Th epark looked great, alot different from when I was younger, and it was cool to see her enjoy it like I use to. The rink looked clean and filled with water just waiting for the cold. I wish I were still in town to enjoy it more often. The big difference I could see was the lack of kids. That park was always packed...too bad...the times they are a changin'

Offline midniteangel

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • RAINBOWWAVES
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 11:31:45 AM »
I too lived 5 mins from the park and was there every day....i also went to Borg woods to ice skate, was great!
Honesty is like a breath of fresh air!

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 07:40:52 PM »
I lived on wilson between coles and davis, how about you?

Offline midniteangel

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • RAINBOWWAVES
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
On SpringValley Ave...are you a cop? or do you have a bro Charlie?
Honesty is like a breath of fresh air!

ericmartindale

Re: Staib Park Ice Needs Plowing
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 03:29:38 PM »
Someone worked real hard to shovel now off a patch of ice at Staib Park, so that ice skating could continue. It must have been a lot of work, since we had 12" of snow a week ago. Now, we all know it's been brutally cold, and no doubt the ice is probably frozen right to the asphalt. If not, it's only 3-6 inches deep anyway.

So, here's my point: I would think the city could send a snow plow back there, or a pick-up with a plow, and clear off at least part of it. Gee, that would take about 20 minutes, I think they could they spare the time. They have the key to the gates. Obviously, streets are the priority, but once that's all done, it would be nice to clear the ice.

I saw the gates that were recently installed to keep cars and trucks from vandalizing the park, or illegally dumping back there. Let's all give Albert Dib some thanks for that. He forwarded our requests to the city, and they made it happen.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 06:28:32 PM »
Credit goes to "Anthony" who posted the message,  the City Manager and Superintendent of Public Works.

I just hope we get some use out of it before spring. 

Thanks Eric.

Anthony

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2005, 09:13:42 PM »
My kids and I had a great time skating in the park when it first got cold, around the holidays.  If the DPW continues to keep up the good work, maintaining the rink in the winter as they do with cutting grass and emptying garbage in the summer, we can continue to enjoy the rink throughout the season.

About 12 years ago, there was a push to put up boards and turn the rink into a roller hockey rink.  A couple of police officers were involved raising funds to build the rink and start up a league.  I don't know if there wasn't enough interest or if it wasn't feasible, but the project was never completed.

How great would it be for the kids to play hockey year round?     

anything