Author Topic: Hackensack Albanian/American club  (Read 12032 times)

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Hackensack Albanian/American club
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:10:05 AM »
I heard there was one back in the late 70's/early 80's...does anyone remember this?

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hackensack Albanian/American club
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »
Ol' Homer's brain seems to recall that there was one club; but, two locations. One location was on what was formerly Morris Street which is now Sussex Street. It was behind the Breslin and Breslin building and is now a luncheonette.
The other location was just south of Route 80 near Vreeland Avenue.
The Morris Street location may have been the original location.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »
Thanks Homer...My girlfriend's grandfather was part owner of the club, and  her family would have parties there...but she couldn't remember the location. I know on Vreeland there is an Islamic center now...wondering if that was the second location...

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:27 AM »
It very well could have been; but, I am not sure.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »
I think the Albanian club was always Islamic-based, and it transitioned into the Islamic group there now. I think it was a name change, not an ownership change

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
When did Morris St get renamed Sussex? And why?

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »
I remember taking Mother Jones over there to The Social Security office in around 1980 and the man there told me that the road there in front of the office was being moved because the City made the man who was building those Court Plaza buildings move the road and build traffic lights so that people could get there safely. I guess they were right.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
Yes, as part of the Court Plaza project around 1980, the old Morris Street was relocated a bit north near State Street to align with the old Sussex.  And then the city decided to call the whole street "Sussex".  And around the same time, give or take a year or so, the Sussex (and Beech Street) railroad crossings were eliminated. The streets no longer cross the railroad.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
I didn't remember Morris St, at that time I was a youngin who never ventured north of Kansas St...I do remember going up Main St with my father and thinking I was in NYC though. Once I started high school in 1981 taking the 165 all the way up Main to Packards felt like a cross country journey to me

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »
It sounds to me like the Albanian Club which is now a Mosque on Vreeland Ave.( previously mentioned.)
 Might be Fat Joe's Childrens Theater from George Scudder's  book...it sure looks like it could have been a theater from the outside looking in. ..

http://www.hackensacknow.org/index.php/topic,2551.0.html?PHPSESSID=40cd1c4d29ea99bd61fbaf74ec2f5c05

anything