Author Topic: The 2016 Firemen's Memorial Service photos  (Read 10673 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
The 2016 Firemen's Memorial Service photos
« on: July 02, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
Before I got into Hackensack Memorial Park this morning, I saw this group (first shot) at Cranberry Junction. In the fifth shot, I had seen the hat upside-down next to the bell, but before I could take a shot, the owner came over and retrieved it, so I asked him if I could take a picture of it right-side-up by the bell because I liked the composition and he was kind enough to let me. He then assumed his position (sixth pic).

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory until we see him (and someone else) once again. I have a real issue with a photographer who becomes too obvious and is detrimental to the moment. The bell was being rung and a lot of eyes were looking in its direction, including mine.

I understand what the photographer was trying to capture - if you go back to that sixth picture, you can see that the memorial would be in the background and that would be perfect framing, considering why we all were there. The background in my shot is terrible. Photographically, he'd have to focus either on the bell or the memorial and  - considering that he's so close to the bell - one would be sharp and the other would be way out of focus. If he backed up and zoomed to frame, he'd stand a better chance of getting both closer to being in focus...............plus, he'd be out of everyone's view.

Having said all that, there will probably be a beautifully sharp picture of his shot in the paper or somewhere tomorrow.

But before that happens.............I just came up with my own solution - the last picture.

All fooling around aside, the ceremony struck note the right note and tone and the weather was beautiful.

CLICK!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: The 2016 Firemen's Memorial Service photos
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
Sure enough, here's that shot in The Record.

It turns out that I gave the photographer too much credit - he didn't frame the monuments in the background. The only other thing he included was some easily-avoidable sun flare.

CLICK!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
Great photos!  It is really nice that there is an annual remembrance in Hackensack for the firefighters who gave their lives in the line of duty.  Such brave people are sometimes forgotten with time in other communities.

Growing up in Hackensack, I remember there was a fire station on S. Summit Ave. in the early 1950s.  I had a friend at school whose father was a fireman at that location.  Once I went down to the station with him and we were shown all around the place by some really friendly firemen.  Since they weren’t very busy, several of them took time to play ball with us out in front of the station.  At first I naively assumed that being a fireman must be a fun occupation, until my Dad later told me that some firemen had died in an accident while responding to a fire.

On the memorial, two firemen are listed as having died in 1953.  I think these were probably the men my Dad had told me about, and if so, then I may have met them that day at the S.Summit Ave. station.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
That accident may have been around the intersection Of Passaic Street and Linden.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »
the accident was at First and Passaic.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:49:40 PM by BLeafe »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 10:24:14 AM »
March 3, 1953, Hackensack (Bergen Co.):

Capt. Frederick Matthews and Firefighter Andrew "Smokey" Lange were killed when their apparatus, Engine 5, was involved in an accident. Matthews was ejected from the open cab American LaFrance and the rig went over on him, killing him instantly. Lange was pinned in his jumpseat and died later in the hospital.

http://njfirefighters.blogspot.com/

http://www.ecode360.com/documents/HA0454/public/170634080.pdf

The Mayor pointed out that at the last meeting of  the Council, appropriate resolutions were expressed concerning two members of our Fire Department who lost their lives in line of duty and that since then he was in receipt of a resolution of condolences and grief adopted by the Bergen County Mayors' Association. With the approval of the Council, the Mayor said be would like to offer a motion that this resolution be incorporated in the minutes of our meeting and a letter sent to the Officers of the Bergen County Mayor's Association expressing our appreciation for their kind thoughts. This was seconded by Councilman Myers and carried unanimously.

Whereas, The Hackensack Fire Department has suffered severe loss in the death of two of its valiant members - CAPTAIN FREDERICK W. MATTHEWS and FIREMAN ANPREW LANGE -and the injury to two others in a tragic accident while answering an alarm of fire on March 23, 1953 and

Whereas all of the communities of Bergen County are deeply affected by this tragic occurrence.

Now, Therefore, Be it Resolved by the Bergen County Republican Mayors Association in regular meeting assembled in Cliffside Park, New Jersey on the 25th day of March, 1953 that all of the members of this association do join in a heartfelt expression of sorrow for this loss and at the same time an expression of hope that the sacrifice of these valiant men may serve ae an inspiration to all mankind; and

Be It Further Resolved that copies of this resolution be forwarded to the families of the deceased firemen, the Mayor and Council of the City of Hackensack and the Chief of the Hackensack Fire Department.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:17:00 PM by BLeafe »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
Matthews was ejected from the open cab American LaFrance and the rig went over on him, killing him instantly. Lange was pinned in his jumpseat and died later in the hospital.

1953 LaFrance pictured below.  Doesn't look safe, at least by today's standards. 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:06:35 PM by Editor »

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:51 AM »
this is the rig.  Open cab rigs were the rule until the 60's.  the last one was built new from the factory in 1982. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »
Great picture. I imagine it was decommissioned after the accident.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:55:36 PM »
no. it was sent back to American La France and rebuilt.   thats how they did things then.  rebuild.   now they total things out because there are no craftsmen in the factories to rebuild them, AND its all about the dollar.   with few exceptions.