Author Topic: PHOTOS: The Bergen County Zoo  (Read 4366 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
PHOTOS: The Bergen County Zoo
« on: October 22, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »
I was supposed to meet some people at the Bergen County Zoo at Van Saun Park in Paramus one recent morning and while I was waiting in my car for them to arrive, I got a call from one of them saying they couldn't make it.

I had never visited this zoo before, so since I was already there and it was only gonna cost me a buck to get in, I decided to make it a photo shoot.

Some of the animals that are there in the summer weren't there in the fall (too cold). The sissies were probably on a beach in Cancun.

1. The sign alternated between "Bergen County" and "Zoological Park". I guess I could have shot both and merged them.

2. I had no idea that zoo animals liked MiniMelts.

3-13. The animals

Birds of flight

14, 15. A condor with a wing span that's longer than my sofa (but not as cute)

16-20. The American Bald Eagle!

I have been dying to get some good shots of a bald eagle for ages, but had only managed to get a couple of pix from far away. I didn't know that there were 3 of them sitting around in a zoo display a block off Forest Avenue in Paramus.

16. The left half shows the eagle's nictitating membrane that covers the eye every 3 or 4 seconds (it's visually clear). The only reason I knew what it was: I photographed pelicans a long time ago and captured the same thing.

17. This smaller eagle appeared to be basking in the sun.

18,19. I wanted to shoot from a facing angle, but it wasn't available.

20. As I left the display area and got on a normal pathway, I noticed that I could see the eagle facing me directly through a locked gate that was about 10 feet behind the pathway's wooden fence. It would have been a simple matter to walk right up to the gate and shoot through it completely unobstructed, but I was told in no uncertain terms that I could not do that.

I'm gonna have to go back there and talk to somebody about that. There's something wrong with photographing the symbol of our nation's freedom sitting behind a lock.

CLICKit!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness