Author Topic: Anyone using VOIP?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Anyone using VOIP?
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:01:43 AM »
Is anyone in town using VOIP (voice over ip - phone service via cable/dsl line)?

I am contemplating using Vonage or ATT CallVantage. Would like like to know if anyone is using either one and any problems, issues you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Anyone using VOIP?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 05:38:29 PM »
I'm using Optimum Voice and so far so good.  One drawback:  we had to give up the phone number that was in our family for 45 years.  Aside from that, service is good and we are saving about $30 a month.

Al

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »
I jump on board with VOIP.

I decided to go with Vonage.  It helped that a relative of mine uses the service and I got two months free being a new customer from a referral.

Advantages from Optimum Voice or AT&T CallVantage:

1.  I keep my existing phone number (OV cant do this)
2.  No contract (OV and ATTCV have contracts)
3.  Cheaper plans - I signed up for $14.95 a month with 500 anytime minutes and all the features Vonage offers. (OV - $34.95 per month, ATTCV has $19.95 per month - local calling only or $24.95 per month unlimited.  I can change anytime to the Vonage unlimited plan anytime.

I signed up last Friday (Black Friday), received my telephone router yesterday, service is online (with a virtual phone # till house # is porter over from Telephone company). Simple to set up too and my wireless router works with this telephone router too.

I've eliminated the nagging AM Radio signal in my phone that I have had for 5+ years on my house line that AT&T and Verizon could not fix.

CarlB

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 08:45:12 AM »
Does the Vonage setup let you use your existing phones and jacks too?

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:46:13 PM »
Yes it does.  Very descriptive "how-to's" right from the web site without having to sign up.  Most VOIP services allow this.

I haven't done this step yet. I am waiting for my home phone # to port over  and have a 2nd land line installed for my home alarm system (VOIP is not recommended for home security systems, you loose internet access in the event of a power failure). 

Great resource on Cable service, VOIP, Tele CO, Cellular with forum posting boards and help from other users:

Broadbandreports.com  - http://www.broadbandreports.com

anything