Author Topic: High School  (Read 43049 times)

Offline aame

• View Profile
Re: High School
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 03:45:07 AM »
My daughter goes to HHS. Tells me the kids use the N, F words and ho, bitch etc, language is common place in hallways and all around the school. A month or two ago, police were there and had arrested someone. I have seen police cars there a few times this year.

it's not a nice place to send any kid.  there are way to many distractions for a kid to learn. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:58:15 AM by aame »

Offline aame

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 03:52:17 AM »
forgot to say. I could go on and on about HHS.  Try to send your kid else where. The school is a *real world* experience on the lesser side/appects of things.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:59:04 AM by aame »

Offline aame

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 04:14:56 AM »
Quite the contrary...

-----------Snip-----------------
I did not intend to imply you were instigating a racial discussion. My apologies. I was trying to head off the topic from heading in the wrong direction. The initial posting was looking for positive influences of attending HHS.
--------------------Snip-----

what you were doing; was foretelling. which is ok. but read your quote and read the OP's, the OP was looking for thoughts on HHS, not just positives.  I read your posts here, you seem to be way to positive, in the light of the many negitive asspects of HHS. but that's ok too.

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
aame
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2004, 10:40:32 PM »
if you going to point out Hackensack High problems, well talk about neighboring towns such as Paramus, which has a higher number of incidents violent and non-violent according to the state stats.

Also, the reason you see the police around the school is because Hackensack is one of few (and I mean few) schools in Bergen County that employs police as school resource officers... could that be why there is limited crime or violent acts at Hackensack High?  YES!   I'm tired of people coming on the forum to bad mouth Hackensack High or the school system (yes the system could be improved) and having nothing to back it up but here say to prove their point.  Look, if you don't like the school, don't send you children there.  Go somewhere else, but grow up and stop the BS bad mouthing of a school system that others depend on because they choose to attend.

Children only act out what their see and if you child watches you...may god bless that child's soul for he or she will grow up with hate and stupidity because someone failed to show him or her right from wrong.

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 08:25:11 PM »
If you review the posts it's clear, posts from parents with children attending HHS are not so favorable. While the posts of friends of Administration and Teachers claim everything's ok.

Let's get back to what's important here!!

Everythings not OK. Anyone claiming so is blind. In spite of it's problems, HHS provides students with an excellent foundation for any college they desire. As well, it has a diverse student population to interact with, further enhancing social education. But Yes Virginia, there are fights! There is police activity. If anyone can find a school where there isn't...send your kid there! (and then post this "mystical place" so we can all dream with you)

I have a child currently attending HHS. I worry that his education is hampered by his fear for his safety. But, he enjoys HHS very much (so did I...class of 86) He is on the Honor Roll and has EXCELLENT teachers that I believe truly care about my childs education. As I mentioned in a previous post, last year he had a rough time with some kids. Those issues were addressed immediately by the staff and handled. It's behind us, but shouldn't be covered up!!

I also mentioned "If I could afford to send my child to a private school, I would". It would only be to improve his future education opportunities.  It's like a resume, a private school would look better on college apps.

HHS is a tough place that can be very intimidating to new students. But if you go to school with a desire to learn and a support network at home, you WILL get an excellent education.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »
I attended St. Joseph Regional HS in Montvale.  I begged my parents to let me go to HHS.  My older brothers and sister went to HHS.  I always felt like I was missing something.  So many of my peers developed friendships at HHS that continue to this day  It's harder to get that type of social interaction at regional, private schools where students come from miles away. 

I hated St. Joe's.  At the time, the school was very sports oriented.   Many affluent parents dumped their boys there in hope they would develop discipline.  Many failed out their first or second years, lacking moral support from home.  For me, St. Joes was sterile and uninteresting, especially without girls.  I would have much preferred to take my chances at HHS.  While I have nothing to compare it to, I would guess that HHS resembles "the real world" more than the ivory towers of private schools. 

Yes, going to St. Joe's probably helped me get into a better college and I am grateful to my parents who spent hard earned money for tuition.  But, for the record, my older brothers and sister went to good colleges and are successful in their respective careers, having gone to HHS.  I am certain our fates were much more dependent on our parents' commitment to see that we did well academically, regardless of where we attended.    In this respect, I agree with the last post.

Thank you all for your participation in the boards. 

Al
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 08:21:01 PM by Editor »

Offline johnered66

• HackensackNow Regular
  • badge # on NFD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 04:07:55 PM »
Ouch, right to the point...you are right on that one...parents need to make the difference first. Well done Steve

rich

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 08:44:43 AM »
HHS remains one of the best schools around.School is only what you make of it.If all of Hackensack's offices &dept's ran as well as the High School we would live in a better community.

Offline midniteangel

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • RAINBOWWAVES
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 11:28:23 AM »
I hated the school sooooo much! It was bad back in the 60s and got steadily worse and worse.....send her to private school without a doubt!
Honesty is like a breath of fresh air!

Offline BJRED

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2005, 09:27:05 PM »
I graduated in 75 and i think the high school was the best experience i have ever had...it prepared me for the outside world, without any hesitation or fears...and i believe its what you put into that makes all the difference.  I did my share of goofing off and i also have my regrets,  the education was there and it was excellent and i choice not always to put out what the teachers put in to it....I believe we should all be held accountable for our actions and choices, and if we go in not wanting to learn then we will not learn and its not the systems fault, its our own.........I have daughters and both attended the school systems up until we moved and i felt they received the best education possible, and with changing times i just felt that all it took to make sure there education was the best was more effort as a parent in being there for them and getting involved....which i did...the payoff was excellent...Hackensack High and Hackensack in general is the best........and i shall be back. ;D

Offline midniteangel

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • RAINBOWWAVES
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 12:19:18 PM »
It was sooooooo bad, i was forced to quit school! I got a GED....
Honesty is like a breath of fresh air!

Offline rich

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2005, 06:57:30 PM »
My father graduated in 1932. My wife & I in 1973.My oldest  in
2002 & my younger son will graduate in 2006.HHS remains one
of the best schools in the area.I never had a racial problem &
neither have my children.School is like anything else, you  can only
get out what you put in. HHS is a well run diversified school.Drive
by anytime, the atmosphere  & mood is calmer than many area schools.The faculty & staff deserve a lot of credit.

Offline rich

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 12:05:25 PM »
a follow up to my post on 2-28. today's Record reports a 16yr old
Wayne Hills student arrested for rape.  I can't remember anything  similiar
at HHS.

Offline Kaffekat

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2005, 02:48:46 AM »
I went to Hack High School -

And my experiences of the school were good.

I don't want to say things are better or worse now.
Frankly forgetting the Political Correctness, I think they are mostly the same.

But, I attended H HS during the supposed Race Wars.

LOL Being there -! -
I don't personally remember most of this but I have read horrible reports of my school years:
According to what I have read I should have been beaten daily.

That did not happen.

Unfortunately  Bad language, cursing, rape, violence are there and always will be.
Times ebb and times flow and whether the news is good or bad, and how it is reported depends.

That said; I know parents sending their children to private schools;   rapes, abuse, drugs etc...
happens,,,,,.

Tragically it happens. It doesn't matter where you go,

Offline BJRED

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005, 11:22:11 PM »
Rich i too graduated in 70's i was in l975 ;D and i agree i never had any problems, i couldn't agree any more on your post....it's what you make of it....which part of hackensack did you live in???

anything