Author Topic: High School  (Read 42644 times)

JSmith

High School
« on: November 08, 2004, 01:33:55 PM »
My daughter is soon to enter High School. I have an option of sending her to Hackensack or paying for private education. I know Hackensack can offer many oportunities, but I also hear so many negative things from time to time.

I recently heard of a young girl being assaulted by a freshman, but it is being kept quiet. Is this true?

Please help

Unknown

Re: High School
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »
Do youself a favor...send your child to a private school, if at all possible.  HHS is not like it used to be.

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:37:26 PM »
My son described the following:  A male student and a female student were arguing near the school parking lot. The argument got heated and the male student hit the female student in the head and pushed her to the ground. She was not injured and got back up immediately.

We have some horror stories of our own. Over the course of last year 8 kids were suspended for harassing my son for being white.  This year the school has adopted a stronger racial harassment code and everything seems a little calmer.

I must admit I LOVED attending HHS (1982-1986) and even though all of this happened to my son last year, he too enjoys attending HHS.

However, If I could afford private education, he would be there tomorrow!!

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 10:37:36 AM »
State Guide for Parents - http://www.state.nj.us/njded/parents/

http://hackensackhigh.org/hhsp.html

I can already tell where this chat is heading. Anytime there's a discussion about HHS - its always about the racial issues. 

I only hope someone posts something about the education (or lack there of) students will get.

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 07:34:02 PM »
My intention was to answer the question and state a fact about what happened to my child.

In NO way was it intended to spur a racial conversation. Hackensack has a diverse population, if that's not for you, you shouldn't be living in a city like Hackensack!!

Fact is, because of the events that occurred, I am concerned my son's ability to focus on his classwork is hampered by his fear for his safety. I wish the circumstances were different, but they're not. And again, if I could afford to have him in private school, it would be to improve his education and not an attempt to get him away from any particular racial population.

Your links have great info and lots of pretty graphs, but they do not relate true personal experiences, and that's what I was trying to do.

I'm sorry you feel as though this was a racial conversation, but I think that's on you!

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 08:50:51 PM »
Quite the contrary...

I am graduate of the Hackensack School System.  Maple Hill School / Nellie K Parker, Middle School and the High School. My own children will probably attend school here as well. Having supportive family and friends, any student can do well at HHS.

I did not intend to imply you were instigating a racial discussion. My apologies. I was trying to head off the topic from heading in the wrong direction. The initial posting was looking for positive influences of attending HHS. I enjoyed my time at HHS, but the initial posting probably is looking for more info from additional parents, students, supporters that are involved now.

I have several friends that are educators in school systems - teachers, vice pricipal, principal in Bergen and Passaic Counties, each can share negative stories.

Most of us would love to send our kids to private school, but rises taxes here will prevent most of us from having that as an option, but that's another topic to discuss.

unknown

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 03:15:10 PM »
I, too, have attended HMS & HHS.  I can speak of a time when both schools were a pride to this community.  Academic excellence was at the core to these institutions.  I have witnessed changes in our school system that begets the question: What happened to our desire for structure, commitment, pride and community? 

We have seen over the years, an influx of educators who are not qualified to teach our youngsters, but rather have received their employment due to "friends in high places."  We have seen more emphasis on sports rather than on academics, arts and music.  We have seen administrators who have been incompetent in the classroom become principals and supervisors, while those who were dedicated, effective teachers being passed over because they "might rock the boat."

The BOE needs to reevaluate what our schools should be providing and work towards that end.  It's a disservice to this community and the children to have the schools take the direction it has.

ericmartindale

Re: High School Road Improvements
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 05:47:33 PM »
I think it is a disservice to the community for people to post such negative things about HHS. I graduated from HHS, and I currently live in an apartment across the street. I'm not sure why people are concerned about the racial balance of the school, which is holding fairly steady. Statistics I have seen show that the school is about 35% white or Asian, about 30% Black, and 30% Latino, so everyone should feel welcome. I would bet that over 90% of the Black or Latino students come from middle-class families in good neighborhoods; the demographics do not show that this is an inner-city impoverished school. Things are not "out of control", by any stretch of the imagination. Conditions here are much lot closer to high schools in Northern Bergen County than they are to Paterson. Although I too would like to see more emphasis on education than sports, I also continue to believe that HHS provides an excellent education for any family that wants their children to attend a good college.

If I had the power to improve one thing at HHS, I would eliminate First Street between Beech and Central, and American Legion between 1st and 2nd. I would make Comet Way (behind the high-rises) two-way to handle some of the re-routed volume.  There are enough north-south streets in Hackensack to accomodate the traffic of First Street, in fact Union Street and Railroad Avenue are both underused for their size. The HHS campus would be a better and safer place without a major road cutting through it. I don't like the idea of people "cruising" through the campus in their cars the way they do now, and as a taxpayer I don't want to pay for a crossing guard there. If anyone proposed putting a major road through another high school campus in Bergen County, people there would be in an uproar because it is clearly a negative condition for any high school campus. So why should we have it here. First Street is a county road, so getting this done wouldn't be easy.

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 07:35:48 PM »
You're right about people coming onto the forum with negative stuff about the high school.  There are far more important things to speak on concerning the high school such as improving educational standards.  Even though the high school sends a high percentage of kids to college, you can always try to improve on those who don't go.  Help them prep for life with better educational skills to take into the work place.

Eric, First St. would be safer if closed for the kids during school, but the street was there before the school.  Also, it's a county road and a main road used by the county, the city and the hospital.  It serves a greater role in the community and the county then just the high school.

unknown

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 12:38:28 PM »
What's this we hear about possible State involvement due to the low scores on the Statewide tests Hackensack again has scored?

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 07:53:46 PM »
I guess it's you job to create issues on the forum about Hackensack schools?  Be a man or woman and put a name and facts about it every time you post.  Only troublemakers hide behind the "unknown" tag.

unknown

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 12:55:15 PM »
It's the message that's important, not the messenger.  Check out the facts about the State on the precipice of coming into town to take control.

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 09:02:20 PM »
Again unknown, I ask you to post the facts, but you haven't.  See, it leaves the impression that you're lying about the complete facts.  In this case, the messenger is just as important as the message when the messenger dances around the point.  Also, I ask you to be a MAN or WOMAN and give yourself a screen name or something.  Too many people can come on and post crap, then leave.   Are you the guy that posts in the Record's editorial every year around the same time about Hackensack school systems?  If you are, then I know it's personal because of you firing from the school system some time back.

Offline lab94

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 10:52:35 PM »
I agree with sayhey,post the facts and not a bunch of crap. The fact is my son attends one of the elementry schools , and 85% of the fourth graders past the state test in 2004.That might not be great,but look at the diversity in town. Then remember that all test scores are included now. That includes bi-lingual students and special ed students. At the beginning of the year I had a chance to put my son in another school because his was considered failing, only because the scores did not increase  the % the state required. Yes, the schools need to do better, but don't make it sound like its a free for all at these schools. Maybe us parents should take some of the blame? Are the parents doing everything they can at home? The kids are only in school 6 1/2 hrs. a day and only 180 days a year. So as parents we also need to be teachers.

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 06:47:38 PM »
Lab94 makes the important point. We could have the best teachers in the world in Hackensack and still have poor test grades if the children aren't getting the support, love and attention they should be getting at home.

Teachers can only work with what they have been given. If a child comes to school with too little sleep and having had nothing for breakfast, how are we to fault the teacher? The parents aren't always supplying teachers with children that are properly prepared to learn.

I think most of us would be surprised how low the scores would be if the State had a rating system for Parents!!!