Author Topic: Christmas Caroling/Merry Christmas  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Christmas Caroling/Merry Christmas
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
Hey Pedra!  Come up Euclid! Maybe we'll join you.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!
Last updated: Friday December 23, 2011, 1:23 AM
BY MARK J. BONAMO
MANAGING EDITOR
Hackensack Chronicle

If you hear voices singing in the streets of the Fairmount section of Hackensack this holiday season, you haven't gone into Christmas-induced sensory overload.

Instead, you're witnessing something quite traditional in a digital age – Christmas carolers going from house to house, spreading good cheer.

The Fairmount carolers took to the streets four years ago when neighborhood resident Pedra Del Vechio decided that the time had come to resurrect this holiday tradition.

"I wanted to have something that included all of my four children's friends as well as my friends doing something together," Del Vechio said. "We decided to go caroling. We walked about the neighborhood for about an hour the first time, including time out for cookies and hot cocoa. Now we go for about two and a half hours."

There are approximately 30 to 40 carolers every year. Del Vechio noted that in one instance, that number grew hesitantly, then happily.

"When I started doing it, my daughter Kayla was 11 years old and wanted no part of it because it was embarrassing," Del Vechio said with a laugh. "So I invited all of her friends before I told her about it, so then she had no choice but to come. And now she likes it."

In these hectic and distracting times, Del Vechio noted that neighborhood residents seemed pleased to take an old-school pause when the carolers come to their door.

"People are definitely surprised to see us, especially when they see an assembly of more than 30 people on their front lawn," Del Vechio said. "Then they're really excited. They clap and cheer us on. I plan to keep on doing this as long as people are willing to come with me. It's a great way to get together with my family, friends and neighbors."

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Christmas Caroling/Merry Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
Salvation Army plays Santa for 300 needy kids in Hackensack
Last updated: Saturday December 24, 2011, 2:34 PM
BY CHRIS HARRIS
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — The holiday spirit was alive and well Saturday morning inside the Second Reformed Church of Hackensack on Union Street, where volunteers and workers from the Salvation Army handed out gifts to more than 300 needy children.

Families filed into the church’s basement the morning of Christmas Eve, where they enjoyed holiday music, cookies and chocolate milk.

“We like to provide every child with the opportunity to enjoy the joy of Christmas morning,” said Salvation Army Lt. Paul Valverde, who organized Saturday morning’s event with his wife, Lt. Eileen Valverde. “Unfortunately, not everyone is in a financial condition to buy gifts for their children because they’re struggling to keep the roof over their heads. These kids otherwise wouldn’t have a Christmas.”

Families that Valverde described as “the working poor” were asked to pre-register weeks ahead of Saturday’s toy giveaway. Valverde said the number of families registering rose this year by between 25- to 35-percent over last year.

“In addition to those that registered, we have a waiting list and unfortunately, we couldn’t help those families,” Valverde said, adding, however, that those who showed up for Saturday’s event without pre-registering were not turned away empty-handed.

More than 30 volunteers, wearing Santa hats, helped assemble and distribute large white garbage bags filled with toys to thankful mothers and fathers.

“Being here helps me remember what Christmas is all about,” said Yun Min, a volunteer from Ridgewood.

In addition to toys, Valverde said all of the bags contained winter clothing, including gloves, hats, and heavy coats. Each bag handed out Saturday contained at least 15 items, she explained.

Most of the items were collected through drives hosted by a number of area churches.

One section of the basement was turned into a makeshift studio, where families could have professional portraits shot free of charge by photographers Mahmoud Sami and David Schneider.

Grace Tejada, a mother of five living in Hackensack, was especially grateful for Saturday’s toy giveaway.

“This is important because right now, there are no jobs,” said Tejada, who has a part-time job. “My kids will have a nice Christmas now.”

Tejada said she would be bringing the toys home to wrap for her children to open on Christmas morning.

Her children — 10-year-old Evelyn, 9-year-old Eyline, 7-year-old Elianny, and 6-year-old Herber — were hoping their white garbage bag would contain any of the following: cell phones, laptops, or puppies.

Email: harrisc@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Christmas Caroling/Merry Christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:14 PM »
Short video, pictures from this year's Caroling. 

Thanks Pedra and family for keeping up the tradition!

anything