Author Topic: Johnson Park/Kayak Launch  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Park/Kayak Launch
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
This project is reminiscent of the old Lake Hackensack project from the mid 1960's. This was a County project where a tidal barrier was to be constructed north of the tracks above Mercer street. The RECORD was the last user along the River to accept barges that contained rolls of paper for use in printing the paper. Thus a tidal barrier would not affect any uses north of the barrier.
Ol' Homer remembers copies of the plan which showed boating as one of the principal uses at the proposed park.
And now half a century later some of this might actually be coming to fruition.
Maybe our editor can check the old files somewhere and dig up the old Lake Hackensack plan.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
I find one reference to "Lake Hackensack" here: http://www.ecode360.com/documents/HA0454/public/170635493.pdf (Resolution 11).

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »
Too bad that you could only find one reference in the archives; so,in the interest of history we will have to rely on Ol'Homer's cerebral matter.
Back in the '60's the County of Bergen had a planning office which was run out of the former County engineering building at 29 Linden Street. The operation was headed by a fellow named Don Clark. Homer doesn't recall how or when the plan was initiated; but, there probably were groups of consultants here who put together the plan with a whole bunch of fancy drawings and brochures.
Now for the hard part. The Hackensack River is tidal up until around New Milford. The proposed tidal barrier would have controlled the ebb and flow of the tide in Hackensack creating a lake like effect north of the barrier.
Here's a curious element of the plan: Was there sufficient technical wherewithal fifty years ago to construct this barrier?. Apparently some agency thought so and required an environmental study. This study "concluded" that the operation of a tidal barrier on the Hackensack River at the site proposed would elevate the temperature of the Hackensack River in the Meadowlands by about two degrees which would have a devestating effect on the marine life in the Meadowlands. This caused the project to be scuttled.
At the same time, Public Service was constructing it's generating plant in Ridgefield Park along the River.  Guess that had no effect on Marine life along the River???????

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
I had no idea. Thanks Homer. I wonder how a lake would have changed the area. Would Hackensack have been more of a tourist destination?

Passaic River pollution settlement is good news for kayakers
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2017/01/passaic_river_pollution_settlement_is_good_news_for_kayakers.html

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »
I really don't think that a lake back then would have made Hackensack a tourist destination. What I do think though is that a well planned, and WELL MAINTAINED kayak launch and river park will become a marketing tool for developers attempting to encourage new residents to occupy rental or condo units in the City.
The Mayor and Council should work closely with the Freeholders to encourage other towns fronting the River to apply for grants for similar type riverfront improvements which can become catalysts for the reuse of waterfront properties and a new role for the Hackensack River as a recreational resource rather than a relic of past industrial uses.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
There were at least 3 proposals for Lake Hackensack.  I believe the first one dated to the 1920's or 1930's.  The County purchased two properties for the project. Both sat as County-owned for decades, but not officially as parkland.  One is now a County-owned preserved woodland along the river in New Milford, and the other is now Hackensack River County Park in Hackensack. The latter got Green Acres funding for improvements around 1990, and soon after officially became a County Park.

The proposal included walking and bicycle trails up and down both sides of the river. These were scaled back in the later versions due to development along the river, esp. in New Milford.

My recollection is that it was determined that the proposed lake would NOT BE SWIMMABLE, due to the amount of urban runoff entering into it, and that was as big a deal-killer as the potential environmental damage south of the proposed dam at the Susquehanna railroad bridge.

I have maps and documents somewhere in my files.  I was involved for years around 1991 to 1994 with the Hackensack River Pathway Committee. We had a committee that met monthly with active representatives from 7 towns. The County committed to the project and that backed off when one town, Oradell, decided they didn't want the pathway on County land behind people's yards.