General Category > Hackensack Discussion

My favorite paper is not having a good day

<< < (2/55) > >>

Victor E Sasson:
I like it -- Victor Sasson, editor of Eye on The Record.

BLeafe:
You won't like this:

Mini-headline on today's front page (this is acceptable English?):

johnny g:
A familiar activity? You mean that annoying thing that happens in the winter time? Isn't it supposed to be sunny and 70 all winter? How dare it snow?
Amazing how times have changed, not to mention sloppy grammar  :o

BLeafe:
Things have gotten particularly sloppy in the sports section, where you can usually find a couple of errors nearly every day. This didn't happen before and I don't think it's the writers' fault because they were with the paper way before the changeover, when this was not a problem.

From today's paper (Pages 1S and 2S):

BLeafe:
Today's score: Sports -3.5
                      Local: -1

SPORTS

1. In the photo, the running back catches the pass. Although that completes the play, pass completion is a quarterback statistic. A receiver is never said to "complete a pass". He can have catches and receptions (or drops), but a complete or incomplete pass is credited or charged to a quarterback.

2. "Strata" is the plural of "stratum". "...a different strata" is like saying "...a bad mistakes".

3. It's kind of obvious what the problem is here (I hope).

4. (not shown) The -0.5 comes from an article where a player is referring to a coach's criticism. What's written has the player supposedly saying, "Of course, he'll be extra crucial of me because he expects a lot". "Critical" would be the better word (maybe he actually did say it), but there are instances where - mistakenly or not - the words have been used interchangeably.

LOCAL

5. An article about the upcoming solar eclipse appears to be unsure about when the event will take place. Why couldn't it simply say "...just three days away"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version