Author Topic: Main St.  (Read 156624 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Main St.
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
Marisa Iapicco
Semisweet Desserts

685 Main St., Hackensack, 201-487-0737
www.semisweetdesserts.com

Marisa Iapicco admits she is terrified. The 28-year-old graduate of the Manhattan-based Institute of Culinary Education is opening a 1,000-square-foot bakery on Main Street in Hackensack — by herself. "I feel very vulnerable," the South Hackensack resident confided. "I am putting everything out there."

STAFF PHOTOS BY MITSU YASUKAWA
Marisa Iapicco runs Semisweet Desserts of Hackensack, which makes artisanal cookies and cakes.

What Iapicco is putting out there is her colorful, hand-decorated cookies and custom cakes that she has been peddling through her website and at food festivals for the past year. "People who tasted my cookies were shocked by them," she said. "They didn't expect them to taste so good."

Word of mouth helped grow her fledgling culinary venture. "People would order my cookies for birthdays, bridal showers, graduations. I've made them in heart shapes, with couple's names — whatever." (They cost $42 a dozen.) She used the kitchens of Hesterides Kitchens & Bakeries, a cooperative commercial space in Hawthorne, to make her sweets, and named her company Semisweet Desserts, though she is thinking of changing the name. "People think it's for diabetics," she says. Her creations are decidedly not sugar-free. They are, however, artisanal and seasonal. "I love the artisanal movement, the local movement. It really speaks to me."

She also loves baking. "I find baking very soothing. It's very relaxing." Iapicco even likes the hours. "I hated the hours of working at a restaurant. As a baker, I start early morning but I have the afternoon."

And she also loves New Jersey. "I grew up in Fort Lee and Rochelle Park," she said. "I tried to leave New Jersey — I went to college in Philadelphia — but I'm back. I like the pizza places, Palisades Park." But — and do keep this a secret — she is not wild about sweets. "I'd rather have a bowl of mashed potatoes than a bowl of ice cream," she said. Her customers most probably can't say the same. Semisweet Desserts is at 685 Main St., Hackensack (201-487-0737; semisweetdesserts.com). -

See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/215411081_Artisanal_food_companies_are_sprouting_in_North_Jersey.html?page=all#sthash.NqNdzJkp.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »
Dessert empanadas at Fusion Empanada in Hackensack worth a taste
Tuesday, August 20, 2013    Last updated: Tuesday August 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
The Record

The dessert empanadas at Fusion Empanada are the highlights.
ELISA UNG/RECORD STAFF

Showcasing our favorite casual eats. To suggest one, email ung@northjersey.com

The dessert empanadas at Fusion Empanada in Hackensack are like little hand pies – piping hot fruit fillings encased in flaky crusts. And they change with the seasons – at a recent lunch, I sampled two delightful specials, blueberry crisp and strawberry rhubarb, while other offerings have included one with fresh cherries and another stuffed with goat cheese, almonds and fresh raspberries.

The tiny restaurant serves dozens of empanadas in sweet or savory, baked or fried. But as far as I'm concerned, dessert is the star. Dessert empanadas are $2.25 each, or available as part of an eight-piece platter for $17.95.

Fusion Empanada, 838 Main St., Hackensack, 201-880-9800, fusionempanada. com.

— Elisa Ung

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/220302471_Good_Bite__dessert_empanadas.html#sthash.CqS24rF4.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:32 AM »
Alliance calls for more cops in downtown Hackensack
Friday, August 30, 2013
BY  CAESAR DARIAS
CORRESPONDENT
Hackensack Chronicle

As the Hackensack Police Department continues it's quality of life initiative, merchants on Main Street are expressing mixed opinions as to how customers can feel safe and what policies can help their businesses to grow.

Carlos Campoverde, owner of Galapagos Restaurant on Main Street in Hackensack prepares plantain treats.
CAESAR DARIAS

Director Michael Mordaga has been spear heading a quality-of-life initiative which includes finding a solution for the city's homeless.
CAESAR DARIAS/PHOTO

Police Director Michael Mordaga has been spear heading a quality-of-life initiative which includes finding a solution for the city's homeless. Meanwhile, a business alliance is calling for cops to walk the beat on Main Street to decrease panhandling as the city embarks on an ambitious rehabilitation plan designed to transform the downtown shopping area into a modern district where people live, work and stay after-hours to dine and shop.

Shortly after starting his job on February 4 as police director, Michael Mordaga attended several community meetings where residents complained about noise, speeding cars, improper street parking and drug sales.

Complaints from residents were particularly strong regarding panhandlers, which they say come from the Bergen County Health and Human Services Center on South River Street. The center, the only homeless shelter in the county, offers beds, food, housing placement, drug and alcohol treatment, job counseling and other services under one roof.

Mordaga has said that most homeless they encounter on the street have extensive criminal records.

In previous interviews, Julia Orlando, the shelter director, has asserted that not everybody who appears homeless is homeless. Moreover, Orlando said that not all homeless people seen on the streets of Hackensack are staying in the shelter.

Then in May, the Upper Main Alliance, a business improvement organization that represents approximately 150 merchants, placed an ad in the Chronicle calling for a "greater police presence for Main Street and Downtown Business District."

The ad said that foot patrols "would also reduce incidents of panhandling, loitering and other disruptive behavior that can occur in any shopping area."

In a telephone interview, Jerry Lombardo, the Upper Main chairman, said he stands by the ad and added his support for Mordaga's quality of life initiative.

"Having a police presence in downtown is just good for business," said Lombardo, who has addressed the issue with Mordaga. "We've been asking for that for some time… And that's not purely because of the homeless. It's a shopping security thing. You see them at the mall."

Mordaga says help is on the way.

The Chronicle interviewed several Main Street business owners, managers and workers over the last two weeks to gauge how the presence of the homeless impacts businesses. Some were more interested in discussing how to improve the business climate.

Franco Ravennati said he has owned and operated Charmed Beauty Salon at the same location for 47 years.

"The homeless, they always come asking for money," said Ravennati, 75. "It's a problem. There are people that like it. There are people that don't like it. But I don't see it as much anymore."

Ravennati said Main Street is "dead," and called for improved parking for his customers.

At Nick's Grocery & Deli, owner Nick Pandya has been at his location for 10 years.

Pandya, 40, said when he started "it was very bad," but the number of homeless has decreased.

"We see [homeless] still on the street, especially outside of my store but it's getting better," said Pandya, who added that customers have complained.

"That customer would probably stop coming in if that happens more often," said Pandya. "The economy is tough. If people don't have the money for themselves, how would they give money to somebody else. Some customers have brought homeless into the store to buy them food rather than give them money."

Pandya said he'd like to see police "walking the beat to protect customers instead of giving more tickets to the people who shop over here."

Pandya said he is hopeful that an economic turnaround will happen soon.

"This city has so much potential," said Pandya. "And I believe that if everybody is doing the right thing, I think this city should be back again."

At Galapagos Restaurant, Carlos Campoverde says "a couple" of homeless people come into his restaurant every two to three weeks asking for food.

"I give it to them," said Campoverde in a Spanish-language interview. "They don't have a job. They're living on the street. They're hungry. I'd rather give it to them than throw it in the trash."

Campoverde says he has owned Galapagos for five years and the homeless do not affect his business.

Farther south on Main Street at Colombia Bakery, manager Luis Armando complains that homeless frequently gather outside the store asking customers for money.

According to Armando, some homeless come into the bakery, spend one dollar and then use the bathroom for extended periods.

"I then have no choice but to let them use the customer bathroom," said Armando. "Other customers then have to wait."

Next door at Montinio's Salon, manager Lucia Bonificio says that in nine years only once did a homeless person ask for money.

"They pass by but I've never had a problem with them," said Bonificio.

A manager at another food establishment who asked for anonymity, said that in winter the homeless ask for food "just about every night."

"Mostly they're not aggressive unless they're high on drugs or intoxicated," the manager continued. "Mostly, they're just looking for food. Customers never say anything, but you can tell on their face that they're uncomfortable."

The manager says he favors more foot patrols.

At the Subway sandwich shop, Ahmed Shahed says three or four homeless people ask for food every week.

"I try my best to give them some cookies or food, if I have it," said Ahmed, who has owned the shop for two years. "Sometimes they come, ask for food or sometimes they try to grab people to buy the food for them."

Ahmed added that he feels the homeless "are not harming anybody," and his business is not affected.

Moreover, Ahmed expressed concern about vacant storefronts on his block, saying that sales are down 30 percent. "We need to grow businesses and more jobs," he said.

At the Johnson Public Library on Main Street, some Hackensack residents complain that many homeless people stay during the day.

"They go in there for the air conditioning," said one woman who declined to give her name.

The library has posted on-line a lengthy list explaining grounds for ejection titled: "Behavior Rules Governing the Use of Johnson Public Library."

Item number 18 on the list reads, "Sleeping in or on Library premises."

Item number 19 reads, "Improperly using Library restrooms, including, but not limited to, bathing, shaving, washing hair or changing clothes."

According Sharon Castanteen, the library director, about 10,000 people visit the library every month. Asked how many of those people are homeless, Castanteen said, "In my opinion it's 25 percent, without going around and saying, 'Are you homeless?' How can you know."

"We can't determine if somebody is homeless just by looking," Castanteen added. "We don't make that judgment."

The library previously employed one full-time and one part-time security guard. In February, the library turned the part-time guard into a full-time employee at an additional cost of $15,000 per year.

Castanteen said it was done "to stop the loitering. To stop people form blocking the exits. It's not just the homeless. It's to control behavior."

Many teenagers also use the library, said Castanteen.

Castanteen stressed that patrons will not encounter any problems.

"We have strict behavior rules," she said. "I just don't want people to feel they will be harassed."

Back north on Main Street, Andranik Eskandarian has owned Birkenmeier Sport Shop since 1982. The former soccer star for the New York Cosmos says he sees the homeless "from time to time. Sometimes they are in the street. But really they don't bother. I don't see anything to bother people. If you have police resources to keep an eye on them. You know, these people sometimes they get high or something, they get out of line."

Eskandarian said he was more concerned that "more police means more parking tickets to customers."

"I'd rather see the homeless than police giving tickets to customers 'left and right,'" Eskandarian continued.

According to Eskandarian, last month he was using the loading zone in front of his store to unload merchandise. Eskandarian said a police officer gave him a ticket.

"Fifteen, twenty years ago we knew all the police by name and those cops walking the beat would always come into the store to ask if a vehicle belonged to a customer to avoid a parking ticket," Eskandarian said.

According to Eskandarian, the "new" and "young" officers don't listen.

An incredulous Mordaga said there must be a misunderstanding.

"If you're in a loading zone, a police officer is not going to ticket somebody who is loading or unloading," said Mordaga. "I think what a lot of people are doing is they're double-parking and unloading. And you can't do that, especially the fact that there's only two lanes of traffic on Main Street. It ties the entire street up."

Mordaga said that due to retirements, suspensions and officers out on administrative leave, the police department is currently short "about 12 police officers."

According to Mordaga, the police department has 12 Special Law Enforcement Officers Class II who are training in the police academy.

"A Class II police officer is a part-time police officer with full police powers that carries a firearm and wears the uniform," said Mordaga "But they get paid by the hour."

Mordaga said the "specials" are due to graduate in January 2014, and will probably earn between $15 and $20 per hour.

According to Mordaga, the new "specials" will be assigned to foot patrols on Main Street, Hudson Street and Anderson Street, among other locations.

Hackensack currently has two retired cops working as "specials" assigned to municipal court.

"I do perceive the need for more officers," said Mayor John P. Labrosse, Jr., who added that the director will have to approach the city manager and the city council to request new hires. "Everybody is sympathetic to anybody who is down on their luck. Unfortunately, the other part we have is some of the people who are out there are drinking, panhandling, urinating in public. That's the stuff that needs to stop. We can't have them walking up Main Street panhandling, because it's illegal, number one. And it's not good for business either."

Regarding a belief among some business owners and community leaders that the City of Hackensack Rehabilitation Plan has been abandoned, Labrosse said it's a "full go as far as we're concerned."

"It's almost like a living thing," said Labrosse about the plan. "It has to be adjusted as we go. Within that area it's up the council to determine where there will be development."

Lombardo agreed that the redevelopment plan is moving forward, and emphasized that a residential component is essential to revitalize the business district.

"You need people living there," said Lombardo. "We want to see residential units built there. There's nary a successful downtown in the United States that doesn't have a fair amount of residential people living in the district."

Lombardo cited Hoboken as a case-in-point.

"Hoboken is loaded with apartments and there are people out in the street," said Lombardo. "And they change the demeanor of the area when you have people living down there."

Right now, Lombardo says, everybody goes home at 5 p.m.

Lombardo is also the CEO of C.J. Lombardo, a Main Street realty that owns and operates commercial properties, office buildings, shopping centers and thousands of residential units, mostly outside Bergen County and out-of-state.

According to Lombardo, the economic struggle of Main Street businesses reflects what he sees happening across the nation.

Lombardo also happens to be the landlord of Shahed, the Subway shop owner.

Lombardo says he urges his tenants to be active, attend city council meetings and to urge officials to move forward with the Rehabilitation Plan.

As for dealing with the homeless, Lombardo says the shelter has contributed to the decrease of homeless on Main Street.

"The shelter has done a good job centralizing the services that are available to the people that are in the homeless community," said Lombardo. "They're treating it with professionalism."

According to Lombardo, an important component of the shelter is placing homeless in permanent housing.

"I'm going to try to put a landlords' group together that would make a certain number of apartments available," said Lombardo, who explained that the apartments would be within and outside Hackensack and Bergen County.

The idea may not become a reality for some time, Lombardo said, until more money becomes available for housing vouchers.

Email: hackensack@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »
Tandoori Dragon in Hackensack introduces Indo-Chinese cuisine to Hackensack
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
The Record

The dining room at Tandoori Dragon in Hackensack. The new restaurant specializes in Indo-Chinese dishes, a fusion cuisine that is highly popular in India.
MITSU YASUKAWA/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Tandoori Dragon

258 Main St., Hackensack
201-457-1557, tandooridragon.com

How it began: This Indo-Chinese restaurant is the brainchild of co-owners Amit Bhaiya, Fathajeet Singh and Bobby Singh (no relation), all of whom hail from India. The trio have run the neighboring Indian restaurant Tandoori Chef since 2006. The Singhs cook and run the day-to-day operations. Indo-Chinese food is wildly popular in India, especially in Calcutta, Bhaiya's home city, where the first Chinese settlers migrated more than 100 years ago. "Our palates already know this food," Bhaiya said.

What is Indo-Chinese food? It's a hybrid cuisine, combining Chinese food with Indian spices such as turmeric, cumin, red and green chilies, basil and garam masala — a ground spice mix that includes cloves, black and white peppercorns, cinnamon, cumin and cardamom. North Jersey has only one other Indo-Chinese restaurant, Chinese Mirch in Edgewater. "There's no other around here," said Bhaiya. "This is how we want to distinguish ourselves."

Calcutta Chinatown: The first Indo-Chinese restaurant opened in Calcutta around 1925, spawning generations of restaurants and street vendors serving up the fusion cuisine. ""You have Chinese restaurants everywhere [in India]," Bhaiya said.

Popular dishes: The signature Indo-Chinese dish, chicken Manchurian, boneless chicken marinated in traditional Indian spices, dipped in corn starch and eventually fried with sautéed garlic, onions and chilies (it also comes in a lamb version); Peking gobi, cauliflower lightly fried and served with chilies and plum sauce; Mongolian lamb, shredded lamb marinated in Indian spices that's lightly deep-fried and served with a chili sweet bean sauce with red and green peppers; and Singapore fried rice, curry-flavored rice tossed with egg and vegetables.

Owner's favorites: Hakka noodles (flat rice noodles stir-fried with vegetables, chicken or shrimp and served with a soy, vinegar chili sauce) and chili tofu or paneer (white firm cheese cubes cooked in a soy, garlic and chili sauce) — very hot. "I'm a vegetarian," Bhaiya said. "So I like paneer; it blends very well with our spices."

How it's not like the typical Chinese restaurant: It's much spicier than American Chinese food (except for Sichuan style), but diners can ask the chef to adjust the spice levels. No pork or beef is on the menu. Because cows are sacred in Hinduism, Indians traditionally do not eat beef. Non-vegetarian Hindus can eat pork, but it's not common in India. And don't expect chopsticks or fortune cookies at the end of your meal.

Future plans: The menu is limited, but Bhaiya plans to expand it after a year.

Prices: soups $3.95 to $4.95; appetizers $5.95 to $7.95; entrées $10.95 to $13.95. All major credit cards accepted; BYOB.

— Sachi Fujimori

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/224974812_Tandoori_Dragon_in_Hackensack_introduces_Indo-Chinese_cuisine_to_Hackensack.html?page=all#sthash.pSVzXct9.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »
Restaurant review: Choripan Rodizio in Hackensack
Friday, October 11, 2013    Last updated: Friday October 11, 2013, 6:53 AM
By ELISA UNG
RESTAURANT REVIEWER

It began with a party. Pablo Spadavecchia, a native of Buenos Aires and a former pizzeria owner, asked his soccer pal Leonardo Marques to give him a hand with the grill at a huge bash in his Hackensack back yard. Marques, an Argentine-American accountant who made frequent trips to visit family in Argentina, happily toiled over the charcoal grill well into the night, wrestling with skirt steak, chorizo, monster-size beef ribs, sausages filled with cheese and parsley.

Chicken legs and teriyaki chicken served tableside from their skewers.
VIOREL FLORESCU/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

A carnivore's delight: the parrillada mixta includes steak, sausages and sweetbreads served on a grill tray. 
VIOREL FLORESCU/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

His food got raves, and the two friends got to talking afterwards, wondering if there was a restaurant in their future — one that combined the Argentine-style grilled meat they both loved with Brazilian rodizio, where meat is cooked on rotating skewers and sliced off for customers tableside.

Soon they had a real-estate broker. One night, they found themselves standing in front of a vacant spot on Main Street in Hackensack that reminded them of Argentina, with its brick sidewalks and its street lights. They completely remodeled the place, adding a rotating rotisserie and a grill fueled by both charcoal and seasoned wood. And as luck would have it, shortly before they opened in January, the longtime Green Grill Rodizio on Hackensack Avenue closed and the partners snatched up several veteran staff members.

That's one reason the 10-month-old Choripan Rodizio (named for choripán, the Argentine sausage sandwich) feels like it's been open longer. Come on a Friday or Saturday, and you'll find a bright, open bundle of activity – flat-screen TVs, big windows facing Main Street, modern tango music blasting, meat rotating in the back. Its staffers are charming and confident, even while winding their way through the crowded restaurant with sharp knives and long, thick skewers of meat.

This is a restaurant where you either come for the meat or you go elsewhere. More specifically, you come here for the rodizio or, if you are into organ meats, the parrillada mixta. The rodizio is served on an all-you-can-eat basis for $30; the servers will stand a skewer on your table and slice off as much meat as you want, for as long as you can eat it. Their breezy attitudes make it fun, and they offer a good variety of grilled beef – juicy top sirloin, garlicky sirloin, buttery skirt steak – as well as pork ribs, chunks of pork loin and sausage with fennel. They offered chicken hearts and looked happy when we accepted. My favorites were the rest of the poultry — little bundles of bacon-wrapped turkey, chicken thighs with crisp skin and steaming meat, and what our server called "teriyaki chicken" – its feisty, spicy flavor would put actual teriyaki to shame.

The parrillada mixta ($30 for one or $40 for two) arrives at your table on an imposing grill tray, with charcoal nestled underneath to warm the meat. Marques said it's intended to be an authentic Argentine grill mix, but what the dining room menu doesn't mention (and neither did our waiter) was that the cuts do not have nearly as wide an appeal as the rodizio. Ours included rich blood sausage – our favorite – as well as intestines, tripe and beef sweetbreads, along with short ribs, sausages, a dry piece of chicken and skirt steak.

Both meat options come with two sides – your best bet, by a long shot, would be the first-rate, fresh-cut french fries or sweet potato fries. Actually, I would come here just to eat fries. Appetizers seem unnecessary, though Choripan does offer some crisp, mildly spiced empanadas – try the Caprese version, almost like a pizza pocket ($2.25 apiece). And good luck eating dessert after this meal, but we enjoyed the eggy, house-made flan ($6).

After our first visit, Choripan shortened its dining room menu and now offers only the most popular staples in the restaurant; other items, such as pizzas and its namesake sausage sandwiches, are now available only for takeout or delivery. This was a smart move – the bready sausage sandwich ($10) and ho-hum pizza ($10.75) from our first dinner are barely worth mentioning.

But the editing shouldn't stop there. My friends and I tried some items so that you could avoid them – an a la carte strip steak, ordered medium rare, that had been grilled into grayness ($21) and an enormous plate of yellow rice with seafood that tasted, well, as if it came from a restaurant where nobody orders seafood ($22.50). Lesson learned: Don't be the one who does.

www.choripanrodizio.com

Food: Brazilian rodizio and Argentine-style grilled meat, the reasons to come.
Ambience: Newly renovated room bustles, with meat on the grill, sports on TV and waiters wielding skewers.
Service: For the most part, charming and fun.
Value: Best for the all-you-can-eat rodizio; less popular items aren't worth it. Appetizers $2.35 to $13.50, entrées $11.50 to $30 (or $40 for a mixed grill for two).
Would be good for: A party.
Less appropriate for: Anyone who wants anything other than meat.
Recommended dishes: All-you-can-eat rodizio, empanadas, flan.
Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, noon to 9 p.m. Sunday.
Liquor, wine: BYO.
Noise level: Loud music and lots of activity often make it challenging to hear even the waiter or your dining partners.
Credit cards: AE, D, MC, V.
Reservations: Strongly recommended for Friday and Saturday evening.
Accommodations for children: Items on request.
Dress: Neat casual.
Early-bird specials or deals: All-you-can-eat dinner rodizio (usually $30) available for $15 all day Tuesday.
Takeout: Yes, and delivery before 5 p.m. to Hackensack and surrounding towns.
Parking: Street.
Reviewed: Oct. 11, 2013.

About the ratings
O Poor
* Fair
** Good
***Excellent
****Outstanding
In determining ratings, each restaurant has been compared with others of the same type and level of ambition. Reviewers make at least two anonymous visits to a restaurant, and the newspaper always pays the tab.

Email: ung@northjersey.com Blog: northjersey.com/secondhelpings Twitter: @elisaung

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/227340041_Restaurant_review__Choripan_Rodizio_in_Hackensack.html#sthash.N34ZLatv.dpuf

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »
Tarts & Flours Bake Shop opens in Hackensack
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2013 4:22 pm
by Sachi Fujimori

Custom-made cookies from Tarts & Flours

Tarts & Flours, an artisan bakery, is opening at 685 Main Street in Hackensack on Saturday, Nov. 9. Opening Day hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Owner and pastry chef Marisa Iapicco is a gradute of the Institute of Culinary Education’s pastry program.  She’s a Ridgefield Park-native that currently lives in South Hackensack. Prior to opening her shop, she ran the custom-order baking business Semisweet Desserts from an industrial kitchen in Hawthorne.

Chef/owner Marisa Iapicco of Tarts & Flours in Hackensack.

Chocolate almond tarts

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:29:14 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
Center for Asian culture plans move to downtown Hackensack
Friday, December 13, 2013   
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — A center that promotes Asian culture, arts and philosophy in schools and institutions throughout the region has plans to relocate to the city’s downtown.

The Donghwa Cultural Foundation bought a four-story office building at 218 Main St. in July and is seeking permits to renovate it for an art gallery and studio, a kitchen for cooking classes and tea service, and classrooms and offices. At 9,800 square feet, the building is triple the size of the non-profit center’s current home in Englewood.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/235693911_Center_for_Asian_culture_plans_move_to_downtown_Hackensack_to_Hackensack_s_downtown.html?page=all#sthash.Jept0aJW.dpuf

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
will it be tax exempt?

Center for Asian culture plans move to downtown Hackensack
Friday, December 13, 2013   
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — A center that promotes Asian culture, arts and philosophy in schools and institutions throughout the region has plans to relocate to the city’s downtown.

The Donghwa Cultural Foundation bought a four-story office building at 218 Main St. in July and is seeking permits to renovate it for an art gallery and studio, a kitchen for cooking classes and tea service, and classrooms and offices. At 9,800 square feet, the building is triple the size of the non-profit center’s current home in Englewood.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/235693911_Center_for_Asian_culture_plans_move_to_downtown_Hackensack_to_Hackensack_s_downtown.html?page=all#sthash.Jept0aJW.dpuf

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2013, 06:09:46 PM »
This is directly adjacent to the big vacant bank building on Main Street across from the end of Banta Place. This building lies to the north of the bank building, and as I recall, it was fully renovated.  I would say this is a welcomed addition to Hackensack, and will bring in a lot of foot traffic to Main Street.  This facility is also art-based, and bringing more of the arts into the heart of the downtown has been an ongoing goal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:11:18 PM by just watching »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
We know where it is; but, it is important to get an answer to Iron's point about whether it is tax exempt before the City welcomes this user with open arms. Over the years there has always been bantering about what percentage of the City's ratable base is tax exempt and  what steps Hackensack as well as other County Seats should take  to protect themselves from tax exempt users which tend to gravitate to County Seats. Just a thought.

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
negative.  218 is 2 buildings north of the Bank.  this building was last occupied by IDT.  about a year after IDT moved out this building had a huge water leak.  a pipe broke on the top floor and flooded out the whole building pretty severely.  I was working and we just happened to be coming back from another run when we passed the building. water was pouring down the facade of the building.   too bad IDT left town.  there was a very workable solution to have them and their couple thousand jobs stay in town. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
Hackensack bank tower to be redeveloped for residences
Friday, December 20, 2013
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

HACKENSACK — The city's first "skyscraper," a notable art-deco bank building in the center of the downtown, has been sold to a Ridgewood company that wants to convert it into residences.

An 11-story building on Main Street is part of revival plans.

Heritage Capital Group bought the unoccupied 11-story building at 210 Main St. and two adjacent properties and has told city officials it plans to put residences on the upper floors.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/news/236678021_Hackensack_bank_tower_to_be_redeveloped_for_residences_to_become_apartments.html?page=all#sthash.MO2BMu17.dpuf

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
IDT left Hackensack because they were expanding greatly and needed much more space.  They wanted to stay in Hackensack. They looked extensively in Hackensack and city officials worked with them to try and keep them here.  IDT had the opportunity to buy a huge vacant office building in downtown Newark at a bargain price. It was the HQ of a defunct insurance company. This was an opportunity too good to pass up, and it allowed even better mass transit connections for its employees. Goodbye Hackensack, hello Newark. Hackensack's loss, and Newark's gain. A similar bargain real estate deal led to Oritani Bank to move its headquarters to Washington Township. They weren't even considering leaving Hackensack, and suddenly they were gone as well.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:08:39 PM by just watching »

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
at the time IDT was leaving 19-21-25 main st was going vacant more and more every month.  that would have been a great place for them to go, in a modern building.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2013, 05:31:33 AM »
That's right, but the lure of owning your own building, rent free, at least three times the size of Court Plaza, was too big of an opportunity to pass up.

Also the word on the street was that IDT hated the cheap slow elevator that the builders installed in Court Plaza.  And that was one of the reasons that the County decided to move out, and why Sanzari has had a hard time renting space there.  They built a beautiful building, an architectural masterpiece with gorgeous upper plaza's and fountains, but the elevator system is the achilles heal.

anything