Author Topic: Main St.  (Read 149095 times)

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
Re: Main St.
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »
That's a reasonable observation, and I have a reasonable response. 

The statement is true, but traffic lights complicate and delay any driver taking Central Ave to State Street, then east on Mercer.

For one, the light at the corner of Central and State Street is EXTREMELY long, and you CANNOT make a right on red at that light.  NOBODY wants to wait that long, possibly over 3 minutes.  The bypass route I suggested also eliminates the eastbound wait for the light at Central Ave and Union Street.  This is because eastbound traffic on Central Ave can make a right on the red light onto Union Street.

Either way there would still be the light at State and Mercer, but under my suggestion, the driver has to wait ONLY AT THAT ONE LIGHT.  The other way, the driver has to wait at 3 lights, including one very long wait at Central and State.

It's a shame that getting 3 blocks from the corner of Central Ave & Union Street to Main Street takes so long.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Main Street Festival: Ashford and Simpson
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2007, 08:54:55 AM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:56:31 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Street Fair
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2007, 09:19:21 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2007, 09:40:17 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »
Where have all the musicians gone?

The independent owners use live musicians to stave off the onslaught of the hydra-headed chains. These corporately owned entities are wreaking the same havoc that the drug and hardware chains did on the "mom and pop" shops.

Think back to Hackensack in the Seventies – before the Paramus malls created armadas of stores all within arm's reach. It was a thriving metropolis, a shopper's paradise, that boasted packed coffee shops and luncheonettes and not one, but two movie theatres!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »
Glad to see something is finally happening with the Business Improvement District. 

I ate in Bohemia, the upscale Latino bistro they talked about in the article.  For a Latino-focussed lunch spot, it was so upscale I didn't even know it was Latino until I got inside.  The food was excellent, and I definately recommend the corn soup as an appetizer.

The Bohemia seems to bring together two mega-trends going on in Hackensack.  The city is slowly becoming more Latino as the Latino population has expanded out of it's base neighborhood into the rest of the city. And at the same time, the Latino population is becoming more mainstream, more English-speaking and more middle-class.  Hackensack went through the same phase from the 1950's through the 1970's, except then it was with Italians. It really wasn't until a few years after World War II that Italians began spreading heavily out of their base neighborhood.  In the 1980's, Latino's then came to dominate the very same base neighborhood, as well as a few other buildings.  But the overall trend is identical.  And I'm told that Germans followed the same pattern, before the Italians came.

History does tend to repeat itself.  Anyone care to take a guess at the next incoming group that will follow this pattern.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Bank of America
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:41:04 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »
Looks like the historic Bakman Building (formerly the Susquehanna Hotel) is getting a complete rehab, generally to historic standards.  They are repointing the brick, and all the intricate soffits, chocks, and trimwork below the roofline of the 3-story building is being repainted - green.  Not sure what they are doing with the storefronts.  The south wall is nearing completion, and the difference is shocking.

Also, yesterday was opening day for LIMON, which is downtown's version of Whole Foods. This is a really upscale place, exactly what is needed for downtown Hackensack.  They say it is their first store, and an entire chain of Limon's will be launched !!!  Limon takes the place of another ikon, Prozy's, which closed a few years ago (Spring 2005 ?).  Remember the Record headline "There goes Prozy's".

This is the type of store that will give all the health-conscious residents of Prospect and Overlook Avenues the excuse to come into downtown Hackensack. This is our version of Whole Foods, right here in Hackensack.

The city of Hackensack gave Limon's a warm welcome.....NOT. Instead, Constable Norm Levin was there, and he gave them a citation for passing out "Grand Opening" flyers.  Let me say sarcastically, "Nice work, Norm."  I don't care if it is technically against the law; there are times when the Constable should make sure his eyeballs are pointing in a different direction.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2008, 12:06:25 PM »
From today's Record: http://www.northjersey.com/food/dining/30993109.html

Editor’s note: This is a weekly feature where we see how far $20 can stretch in North Jersey’s myriad markets.

Pick up lunch, groceries and sundries at Limon Fine Foods Marketplace, a one-week-old gourmet shop in downtown Hackensack. After you’re done with the hot and cold buffets or the selection of sushi and pizzas, you can buy Australian soft licorice or a blueberry chocolate bar, browse the cheese section or the olive bar, pick up some fancy jam, buy a porterhouse or a salmon fillet to grill for dinner and choose from a nice selection of produce, all in one compact market.

— Elisa Ung/photos by Don Smith

Flaky spinach pie: From the hot buffet — a nice lunch alone or with some greens. $3.50.

Corn salad: Sort of like a corn pico de gallo, with peppers, onions and celery. $1.75 for a quarter of a pound.

Granola bar: From the bakery, stuffed with oats, almond and dried fruit; it allows you to feel sort of virtuous because you passed up the black-and-whites and the Key lime bars. $1.98.

New York combo panini: Pastrami, corned beef, provolone, mustard, house dressing, lettuce and tomato. Eat cold or let them warm it up for you. $4.99.

Oogie’s gourmet popcorn: Romano and pesto-flavored (or try spicy chipotle and lime or sun-dried tomato and Parmesan). $3.29.

Bottle of MASH: Pomegranate- and blueberry-flavored lighter, less-sweet soda. $1.79.

Aloe vera: From the produce section. $1.49.

Limon Fine Foods Marketplace is at 121 Main St., 201-742-5079.

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2008, 04:14:43 PM »
Limon is actually an exact replica of Zeytinia, that are now in Englewood, Oakland and the Palisade Center Mall.  Zetynia is a turkish chain of gourmet grocery stores.  The prepared food is all excellent.  The prices in the produce department are usually phenomenal (I bought kale at 49 cents a bunch and organic black berries at 99c for the little square container.  I haven't yet had time to research if Limon is a brand of Zeytinia, but it is the exact same store and POS program.  Nice to have it in Hackensack. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:21:51 PM by Hope Donnelly »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:59 PM »
 I passed by the old Esso Art Deco gas station at main & Poplar ave this morning and there is a portable fence around it that wasn't there last week.  I've seen nothing on the Planning or Zoning Board Agenda about it.  I'm hoping for a renovation in its old style but I think it may be torn down.

Anyone know anything ?

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
Looks like they're tearing the building down  :-\ Big Backhoe parked in front... too bad.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
What building?