General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Main St.

<< < (2/26) > >>

Editor:
There's plenty of hope and promise for Main Street.   The following information is an excerpt from: http://www.crcog.org/Publications/TCSP/Ch07_Fact%20Sheet_Main%20Street.pdf

The green, bolded text under "Revitalization" explains why I think the last post is off the mark.

Why Have So Many Main Street Areas Become Run Down?

Traditional Main Street areas ... have had a difficult time competing with auto-oriented commercial development in suburban areas. Strip-style commercial corridors, regional shopping malls, and big-box "power centers" are successful for many reasons. They have recognizable chain stores, large-scale shopping formats that provide a wide selection of goods, drive-through services, large movie theaters, large family restaurants, and most importantly, abundant parking and easy access for vehicles. By way of comparison, Main Street areas tend to offer unique and small-format spaces, which are generally unappealing to modern-day chain retailers, and they tend to be constrained in terms of parking and vehicular access. Most people living in the Hartford region nowadays are auto-dependent, and they tend to do their shopping in locations with the best automobile access and parking.

Why Re-invest in Main Street?

If suburban commercial sites are so successful, why should local municipality spend time and money attempting to revitalize the old town center? Many Main Street areas still have numerous businesses, residents, and employees, all of whom would directly benefit from improvements to the area. The town as a whole would benefit from the increased tax revenues from a revitalized commercial area. Most importantly, a Main Street area is usually the historical, cultural, civic and geographic center of the community, and improvements to the town center can bolster the town's pride, image, and residential property values.

From a "smart growth" perspective, town centers are "sustainable" growth centers. With higher-density development and a mix of commercial and residential uses, town centers provide a greater variety of housing types and more opportunities for walking, biking, and transit use.

Revitalization

This smart growth tool can be used in urban, suburban, and rural communities.

They are an alternative to the forces that fuel low-density suburban sprawl. A revitalized town center can attract new investment that adheres to a compact, mixed-use, pedestrian-oriented format. There has never been a better time to engage in economic revitalization efforts in historic town centers. Old Main Streets are being revitalized nationwide, and some modern retailers see old Main Street areas as the "new frontier" of retailing. Oriented to pedestrians and specialty shopping, these businesses capitalize on the character value and foot traffic of Main Street. They tap into the market that seeks an alternative to mall shopping.

What Are the Chances of Success?

Many communities have been able to turn around their traditional Main Street areas. Downtown West Hartford, which initially could not compete with the West Farms Mall, managed to renew itself through a multi-faceted revitalization program. West Hartford has been successful because it has managed to build off of the unique attributes that distinguish it from suburban commercial sites: historic architecture, a traditional "Main Street" ambiance, a safe and pleasant walking environment, and unique non-chain stores. Importantly, West Hartford Center has a unique parking scheme that makes access convenient. Similar initiatives are currently being undertaken in Windsor Center and Downtown Rockville (Town of Vernon).

sayhey:
I'm the same one, but not the only one that jumps on Zisa when he continues to let the people of Hackensack down with self-interest moves.  You remember me because I gave info that hit harder then most on the other forum such as the Trooper/Hackensack P.O. incident.  You claim I don't back up my claims, but I do because I have access to a member of Zisa's inner circle (city council-man who talks) and the trooper thing... I got it from a trooper (Hackensack guy and life long friend) who was involved on the seatbelt check part of the incident.  I've notice that you responded to me more then other on your forum even though I don't post that often.  What about others on both forums that continue to attack Zisa with more posts then I can write in a year?  Why don't you attack the "The Record" for bashing Zisa more then I do because they see a problem with him too?  Editor, the article is "great" for other downtowns because they are following that course, where as Hackensack continues to spend money on studies to "improve Hackensack".   How many more studies (with tax-payers' money) are there going to before something is really done?  All that has been done so far is band-aid measures.  During the 90s this country saw great growth on Wall St. down to mom and pop stores around the country except Hackensack's Main St.  National chain store moved in on River St. while small stores on Main St. closed only to be replaced by 99 cent stores.   That's a community life-saver if I ever saw one. (lol)  Could it be that Zisa (since 89) hasn't done more within his powers to be a bigger part of the growth during that time?  It's great the big box stores came, but what about the original stores?  There needs to be a mix of stores to help towns such as Hackensack to survive.  Also, as you posted revival of downtown increases the image, pride and value of the entire community.   I'm not here to fight you, but I'm here to be the right to the left and the up to the down because a person in power unchecked or questioned is dangerous.

As for Steve the other poster, have you ever seen a magic trick?  The hand is faster then the eye.  With all the new stores (strip malls) on River St. opening, the same amount has closed on Main St.  You might not have shopped at Prozy's, but plenty of other have and Lowitz was a quality store that plenty of people "still" found up-to-date suits and other things.  When things happened in the community, the local stores (not national chain stores) are more inclined to get involve because the outcome affects them more just as is does the rest of the citizens of Hackensack.   Big box stores on River St. pad themselves from local stuff with billions dollars profit years.  Also Steve, I know where you're coming from because of your relationship to someone in the administration, but that's not for here to explain to all.

Oh, for the editor:  I did not invent online bashing of Zisa.  It was always there just that there wasn't a way to voice it until now.  I just happen to be the first to post on the other forum about him.  Besides, I can't be bought like some on the forum. 

Editor:
Who is Sayhey?

sayhey:
Al, lets kill this debate and move on to something else.  Besides, I like the sarcasm from you about "who is sayhey".   lol   

sayhey:
Also, fix the time on posts because it shows them as being a hour ahead of the actual time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version