Author Topic: Deer sighting  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Deer sighting
« on: May 30, 2009, 01:12:25 AM »
My wife and I saw a deer (mature doe) traveling south across Euclid Avenue between Prospect Avenue and Clarendon Place at about 1am on Saturday May 30, 2009.  It was cutting through backyards.

I've never seen one in Hackensack before. Any other sightings? 

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Deer sighting
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:44:59 AM »
Deer have become naturalized all along the Hackensack River from Route 4 to Oradell, including in Hackensack River County Park, which is behind the Shops At Riverside.  Hackensack River County Park appears to be the epicenter of a deer population.  There are deer trails back there, and deer scat can be seen by any seasoned naturalist. They swim back and forth across the river to parks and wooded open space in Teaneck, as well as the Historic New Bridge Landing.

Deer tracks can also be seen UNDER the Route 4 bridge along the Hackensack River, and they make their way over to FDU, Johnson Park, Hackensack Cemetary and St. Joseph's Cemetary, mostly at night.  During the day, they are hiding in the dense thickets of brush and reeds at Hackensack River County Park.  Deer (probably the same deer) have also been seen fairly regularly in Borg's Woods and especially the seldon-walked wooded hillside that stretches south of what the County owns.  Deer walk among the homes on Summit Ave near the woods, as if is their property. Unlike Hackensack River County Park, these deer are only visitors. 

It is suspected that they travel between the cemetaries and Borg's Woods to dine on certain native vegetation in Borg's, at certain times of year.  Deer have an amazing sense of smell, and it guides their migrations. Your citing helps to confirm this theory. 

Over the last two decades, deer have become much more adaptive to human population and have expanded into much of central Bergen County.  There are populations now in the Meadowlands (especially around Teterboro Airport), and in Overpeck County Park, and all up and down the Saddle River from Ridgewood to Rochelle Park.

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
They must be hanging around in that neighborhood.  Friends on Ross also saw a few in their backyard.

Offline SouthSack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
I definitely used to see them on campus at FDU.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
I saw a doe and two juveniles at FDU tonight. This was the only decent photograph from a distance.

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:34:49 PM »
There are between 5 and 8 resident deer in Borg's Woods. They are usually either along Coles Brook, or up on the hillside near Brook Street.  They stay in Borg's during the day, and at night they wander into Hackensack and Maywood. 

Deer are also resident behind the Shops at Riverside, and they can easily pass under Route 4 at the river to reach the FDU area.

And deer are resident around Teterboro airport and in the Meadowlands.