Author Topic: School Board may build new school  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
Re: School Board may build new school
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:41:49 AM »
There needs to be an elementary school EAST of Railroad Ave, and somewhere between Anderson and Essex Streets. That will be "local" for all the new construction on Main and State Streets. Just look at a map of where the schools are, and you'll see a big void that needs to be filled. Hackensack is beyond the point of erecting additions to the existing elementary schools.

The only options are (a) stop new construction, and (b) build a new school.  I don't see (a) as a viable option.

If someone has access to the school district map, please post it.

And then everyone can all see how crazy the district lines are for 3 of the elementary schools. The Fairmount, Nellie K. Parker, and Fanny Hiller districts each reach deep into the heart of Hackensack, and into the downtown area. This means that families who will be living in the vicinity of Union, State, Main, and River Streets have to send their elementary students to a school 1 to 1.75 miles away, whether it's Fairmount, Nellie k. Parker, or Fanny Hillers. Only the Jackson Ave school has sensible district lines.

The city is trying to create a sense of community for the downtown and surrounding blocks, but wants to continue to divide that area between three elementary school districts AND then make parents transport their kids to 3 distant schools literally across town. You see the problem. Although all the existing elementary schools are all in stellar suburban neighborhoods, I'm quite sure that all the new families living downtown would much rather have a BRAND NEW elementary school in their own neighborhood.  And I have a hunch that it will be the highest performing elementary school in the city, with all the new relatively high income families moving into the downtown and surrounding streets.  And since all of Hackensack is now thoroughly mixed between Black and Latino, and there's very few White families sending to any of the elementary schools (I think all are 10% or less White, and if someone has this data, please post), this redistricting can be done in 2018 without raising any issues of racial segregation.  Although there is the possibility that a new downtown school might have a tad higher White and Asian populations than the others. Depending on the level of gentrification coming.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
Re: School Board may build new school
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »
Down on Hudson Street where I grew up we only had Immaculate Conception (where I went) and Jackson Ave school (which I believe was K thru 4th or 5th grades?)
After that kids would have to trek way uptown to the middle school. The majority of schools were always in the northern part of town...are there any I'm missing in the southern part of the city?

anything