General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Kazimir's Pets closing

(1/3) > >>

BLeafe:
1. from their Facebook page

2. I took this while driving by today.

Top of the Hill:
My friends and I used to go there all the time. Would also go to Robin's Pets on Essex street. We always had pet turtles. Little green ones, painted turtles, snapping turtles and box turtles. Always checked out all the animals, was like going to a mini zoo. Used to be many of the department stores had pet departments too.

ericmartindale:
At one time, they were the largest pet store around. 

There's more to the story. 68 years ago they were in the middle of the most fashionable multi-unit neighborhood in Bergen County. All of those nearby apartments were new, and filled with tenants with much higher income.  It was comparable to what Prospect Avenue is today.  Anderson Street was a very desirable business district to visit, for those from out of town. And that is certainly not the case any more. The lure of the entire neighborhood is just gone. The apartments are old and outdated, with old kitchens and bathrooms, old floor plans, old electrical, no parking. One building had a major fire, and 1/4 of it was demolished. There's no way they can compete with Prospect Ave or other 'luxury' apartment buildings in other towns.

I think if Kazimer's Pets were in downtown Ridgewood, they would have survived. It's more than just chain stores and internet. 

And what really killed Anderson Street was the drive by the City of Hackensack to get rid of the antique shops, which peeked in number in the early to mid 1970's, I believe. At one point there were 17 of them, and they drew customers from other Counties and even New York. Somehow the city fathers thought if those "damn" antique shops were eliminated, higher quality stores would come in.  Well, other stores came in, and they weren't higher quality at all.

BLeafe:
In today's Record:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/hackensack/2018/04/08/kazimirs-pet-shop-hackensack-closing-its-doors-after-68-years/417026002/

Editor:
https://www.northjersey.com/videos/news/bergen/hackensack/2018/04/28/kazimirs-pet-shop-owner-hackensack-says-goodbye-after-68-years/561451002/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version