Author Topic: General Poor's Tavern closing today - last call!  (Read 6225 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: General Poor's Tavern closing today - last call!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
Time for Ol’ Homer to give a recollection of the good days gone bye. Back in the early ‘80’s General Poors Retreat was owned by  the late George Brown a well known Hackensack attorney. George was heavily involved in Irish American activities.
On certain Saturday evenings George would bring in an Irish band and by 10:00 you couldn’t get into Poors. This was about 35 years ago when Main Street wasn’t exactly a hub of nighttime entertainment. Back in those days there was a Saint Patrick’s Day parade on Main Street and Poor’s was a focus of the parade revelry.
Ah, the good old days.

Offline Victor E Sasson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
I can add a detail The Record story was missing, from my blog post today in The Sasson Report:

General Poor's Tavern

The Record's story on the closing of General Poor's Tavern on Main Street in Hackensack was missing an important detail.

"When The Record had its offices on nearby River Street, the bar was a local hang-out for reporters looking for a story tip or just a cold brew," Staff Writer Rodrigo Torrejon reported last week.

But General Poor's was far more than that: It was the place for going away parties for Record newsroom staffers who were going on to bigger and better things.

I lost track of how many of those parties I attended, but at one point in the Nineties, I just stopped going to those boozy farewells.

The Record story on General Poor's also is the first acknowledgement I've ever seen that North Jersey Media Group's decision to leave Hackensack in 2009 hurt businesses on Main Street and elsewhere in the city,

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:16:57 PM by vsasson »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »
Poors was my regular bar. I was there just about every Friday night the last 14 years. The last two summers, we would jam on the back patio. Smokers were our captive audience.

My hope Is that redevelopment will bring new economic opportunities for Poor's ownership.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »
It will take a joint effort between the City and the affected business interests to create an environment that will make people comfortable to sample what is available.

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
Never set foot in the place myself

anything