Author Topic: Calling All Hackensack Police/Crime Historians  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Keoni-21230

• View Profile
Calling All Hackensack Police/Crime Historians
« on: December 04, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
 :police:

I'm hoping someone among you might be able to help me find a police record, coroner's report, death certificate, and ultimately the grave of my Great Grandmother, Alfrieda Johanna Schuller.  But given the circumstances surrounding her death, she was probably interred in a pauper's grave and hopes of finding a marker are just a pipe dream.

In July of 1905, my Grandfather, Frederick "Fritz" Schuller (about 2 years old at the time) was found with his three siblings in an abandoned in Hackensack, NJ along with his dead mother Alfrieda. My Great Grandfather, John Schuller was nowhere to be found.  John eventually surfaced in Woodcliff Lake (Near Kinderkamack Road) many years later with a new family.

This account is part of a deposition made by Fritz to the U.S. Consulate in Naples, Italy as part of his petition for repatriation and a passport for travel back to the U.S. in 1924.  That is another story for another time.  But since he was born in the U.S. and living in Italy (for 13 years) with no papers, it points to how inconsistent records of all types were back in those times. 

So, any suggestions as where I could start looking for the types of records mentioned in the first paragraph of this post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!