Author Topic: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)  (Read 145977 times)

Offline irish eyes

• View Profile
Re: City Council Election (Updated 6/5/05)
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »
I agree, but the amusing part is that the Rag is so fixated on Hackensack they cannot let it go...have you ever seen anything like it....they just dream up innuendoes, nothing is EVER factual...and somehow they believe that they know what the voters in Hackensack want....hello we got what we wanted...the RAG did not....

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2005, 10:36:08 AM »
The following appeared in the July 10, 2005 edition of The Record:

Anyone who lives or works in Hackensack should wonder what your editors see when they look out the windows of your offices here ("Hackensack's chance," Editorial, July 3). Is it really a complete lack of progress under former Mayor Jack Zisa?

Have they noticed the Target store on Hackensack Avenue and the satellite businesses (and jobs) that have sprung-up there? Or the expansion of Hackensack University Medical Center and its effect on the surrounding area? Have they heard about the new construction at State Street and at Union Street?

Surely they can see the Ice House skating rink, which has sparked a boom in youth hockey in Bergen County? Why has an Asian bakery opened across from the Sears store? Or would various ethnic restaurants be lining Main Street?

Do your editors read your real estate section, which shows a city residential real estate boom matching ones in the surrounding area?

There's much more to be done, of course. Main Street needs work, including a sensible policy of preventing the homeless from disrupting business there. And the new administration must continue to improve recreational facilities and address issues between police and the community.

But it seems that the "turnaround" you advocate started several years ago. Zisa may have had something to do with that. Rather than "turn back" that type of progress, the city's new leaders should build upon it.

Michael Farhi

Hackensack, July 5

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2005, 10:57:13 PM »
The Rag is the one that can't let it go. The Council hasn't been in office one month yet and editorial after editorial has been written that the new council will not do it's job. Give me a break. This pattern of intimidation will not work. The vote was clear. The margin of victory left no doubt. Thankfully nobody that counts takes the 'Rag' seriously. The editors just can't stand that there is another paper in town.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2005, 11:26:06 PM »
Some posts that appeared here now appear in a new topic: Civilian Complaint Review Board
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 12:06:17 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2005, 09:54:41 AM »
The following appeared in the July 13, 2005 edition of The Record:

Even living in a foreign country, I keep abreast of what goes on in my hometown of Hackensack through The Record's Web site. And even from a foreign country, I'm tired of the criticism of former Mayor Jack Zisa now that he has left office - not that I wasn't tired of it while he was in office.

In his "Something fishy going on in Hackensack" (Other Views, July 8), Columnist Lawrence Aaron chastises Hackensack as a "Zisa fiefdom." Those of us who supported Zisa during his years in office are tired of hearing such nonsensical terms applied to our city.

We voted for Jack Zisa because we believed in him and his vision for Hackensack. There's something special about being from Hackensack, something you take with you no matter where in the world you live. I was always proud to call Jack my mayor, just as I was proud to call Joseph DeFalco my principal when I was a Hackensack High School student and just as I am proud to call Marlin Townes my mayor now.

Hackensack is also The Record's hometown. It should be proud of it as well. And it ought to give the New Visions for Hackensack team a chance before cutting it down in print time and time again.

John Bellocchio

Fredericton, N. B., Canada, July 11

The writer is the son of Hackensack Board of Education member John F. Bellocchio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hackensack's chance" (Editorial, July 3) on the recent Hackensack municipal election was on the mark.

The appointment of Joseph Zisa as the city attorney shows that nepotism is alive and well and that the city remains under Zisa family control.

Although selection of a municipal court judge was not among appointments made July 1, the new City Council should consider the removal of Judge Louis Dinice, who served under the previous administration. Dinice's disrespectful handling of residents (not criminals) in the courtroom has been offensive.

He has commented on their command of the English language; such remarks are not necessary for conducting the court's business. It also appears to be his theme that all are guilty until proven innocent.

It is every citizen's right to be treated with respect.

Rhonda Bembry
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 09:58:36 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2005, 10:06:52 AM »

Offline keysersoze

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2005, 10:46:04 AM »
Since I was the sixth-highest vote-getter, the fifth seat should have been mine," Coles said this week.

[trunicated]

Coles' lawyer, Theodore Takvorian, says that there are flaws with the state statute pertaining to non-partisan elections.

"A non-partisan election in my way of thinking is the direct vote of the people without a party," he said. "If you don't have a party, how can these four people that are in appoint a fifth person?"

Ahh, more sophistry from the losing ticket, as well as a complete refusal, or at least inability, to understand that people who voted for the New Visions slate trusted their decision about who would fill out Joe DeFalco's term.  Perhaps someone could point out to Mr. Takvorian that, while Hackensack's elections are non-partisan, the predominant slate-focused campaign style does provide voters with a clear choice in governing styles.  If people wanted someone who thinks like Calvin Coles on the council, they would have elected him; the voters of Hackensack, however, wanted someone who thinks like Joe DeFalco on the council instead.

But Takvorian argues that the next election is in November, when voters go to the polls to elect county and state officials.

"They appointed him for four years and I'm saying no," Takvorian said. "I'm saying the next election is in November."

And the next election is partisan, Mr. Takvorian.  Municipal elections are not.  For all the bluster Citizens for Change made about the machinations of the Bergen County Democratic Party and its interference in the election, Coles certainly seems to be spoiling to bring them into the election by injecting a statewide partisan election into the mix.  Perhaps he's made an agreement with Joe Ferriero, and is willing to be his puppet on the council?!?!?

Besides the city and the council, the lawsuit names the New Jersey Board of Elections and Bergen County Clerk Kathleen Donovan. The lawsuit notes it has named those parties for the "sake of notice" and that they have not directly caused harm to Coles.

"For sake of notice" is Legalese for "throw crap at a wall and see what sticks," right?

Offline hamburglar

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2005, 12:39:26 PM »
keysersoze made some excellent points about the "We still refuse to accept that we lost" lawsuit. It boils down to this: we can always depend on the "usual suspects" to try to create turmoil in our city. GET OVER IT! If you really cared about Hackensack, you would support your new City Council in moving our city forward rather than continually trying to create impediments to progress.

Offline Hackensack harry

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2005, 05:22:12 PM »
The recent lawsuit by the losing candidate is rediculous. I am new to this discussion but have followed the discussions for quite a long time. This, however, affects my pocketbook. I pay taxes. I vote. The election is over. Now we will have to pay the lawyers to fight this. If the city loses then we have to pay for a new election. And what do we get? Nothing. Coles main contribution to this town is living in his grandmothers house. Thats terrific. McAuliffe is a war hero.

More importantly, the election is over. Run again in four years. I read a posting recently. It hit the nail on the head. He lost to a dead guy.

This time if the court agrees with the loser (god I hope not) then Coles will have the chance to lose to a live guy.

If he really wants to help the town he should join some organizations such as baseball of Hackensack, the volunteer ambulence or some recreation programs. At least make beleive he is trying to be as active as the current council.

this council is made up of five non-political people. Don't turn this into a political circus just to get your name in the paper.

(By the way I like the name you all gave that paper. It is appropriately now known as the "Rag" in my household.)

Offline keysersoze

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »
This, however, affects my pocketbook. I pay taxes. I vote. The election is over. Now we will have to pay the lawyers to fight this. If the city loses then we have to pay for a new election.

Not to mention that the moment the he's ruled against, he'll probably appeal.  Then when the appellate court upholds the ruling, he'll probably appeal again.  And on and on, until there are no more options, and he's already cost the city (and, as a result, the taxpayers) a bundle.  The Hackensack Taxpayers Association would be appalled at such a frivolous waste of taxpayers' money, I'm sure.

ericmartindale

Re: City Council Election (Updated 7/25/05)
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2005, 01:07:03 PM »
I don't think there will be a big waste of taxpayer's money. I expect Coles' entire case to be thrown out of court.

This isn't the first time this situation has happened. It's happened many times, and every time the plaintiff is shot down. There's 50 states and over 100 years of records in every state. I bet there is case law on this right here in NJ. Much as we think this is a unique event, it isn't. With that much case law out there, Coles doesn't stand a chance.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: City Council Election (Updated 7/25/05)
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2005, 10:24:35 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2005, 01:55:53 PM »
Latest story: Judge rules today on Hackensack Council

Follow-up:  Judge Contillo denied the relief sought by Calvin Coles and essentially upheld Councilman McAuliffe's appointment.  More details tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 04:41:29 PM by Editor »

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2005, 10:38:32 PM »
Thanks for the update. I can't wait to read the details. Now maybe the losers will finally let our city council run the town instead of having to defend lawsuits that simply waste the taxpayers money. Perhaps the City should file a lawsuit against Coles for a frivilous lawsuit.

Did the Judge make a decision in the court room or did he give a detailed written decision? My lawyer told me that sometimes a Judge will take the time to write a decision if he feels strongly about the case.

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2005, 08:56:39 AM »
devil,sue Coles?-whats the city gonna get if it wins? the right to live in his grandpas house?
the judges decisin must really"sting" in certain corners...
"citizens for change" are on a bit of a losing streak-zero for lifetime