Author Topic: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)  (Read 139676 times)

Offline keysersoze

• View Profile
Re: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2005, 11:35:28 AM »
Latest story: Appointee of mayor, council keeps seat won by dead man

Once again, The Record comes through with a tasteful, non-inflammatory headline for coverage of the May 2005 Council Election.

For goodness' sake, Joe DeFalco was someone's husband, someone's father, someone's friend.  He was a role model and critical figure in the Hackensack community, something The Record can never hope to be so long as it continues its advisarial relationship towards its home city.  He's was a man who helped build community, and he deserves a damned sight better than the treatment The Record has given him.

It all comes down to why the people of Hackensack don't listen to The Record.  There's no recognition of why Joe DeFalco's death was such a crushing blow to the city and community, and a continued insensitivity to the community's loss.  Once again, The Record should be ashamed of itself.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 11:38:02 AM by Editor »

ericmartindale

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2005, 06:14:16 PM »
I'm not surprised by the judge's decision, except that he didn't throw it out of court entirely. I had predicted that it wouldn't even get this far, but a judge actually accepted the case and made a ruling on it. I guess it's better that way, make it official.

I agree that the Record has been generally insensitive regarding the death of Joseph DeFalco. His death was a great loss to the high school. 

However, I am not unhappy about the changes that happened on the city council. I believe that McAuliffe will be as good an office-holder as DeFalco, if not better. McAuliffe, like his 4 companions on the city council, has had no experience being part of a government beaurocracy. This I see as a positive. DeFalco, as principle of the high school, was by the very nature of his employment part of a bureaucracy (no slight intended against the high school). Having this life experience would have made DeFalco more passive in the formulation of city policy, simply because he was more well-rounded and experienced to know what "can" and "can't" be done. 

Sometimes there's an advantage to not knowing the in's and out's of government bureaucracy. Sometimes not knowing that something can't be done makes getting it done possible. That's exactly how Borg's Woods was preserved. At the time, myself and my colleagues were too naive to know it couldn't be done, so we tried real hard, and we succeeded.

I think we need some bold changes in the City of Hackensack, and I am optimistic that the 5 current office holders are uninhibited to seek out these changes. Some of these changes may be things that "can't be done", but will wind up getting done because they tried. I for one, couldn't be happier with the constituency of the city council, and the tenure of Marlin Townes as Mayor.  And now because of Contillo's ruling, we can take confidence in knowing that there won't be a gadfly on the city council to try and throw monkey-wrenches into all progress.

Offline hamburglar

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2005, 01:46:04 AM »
STOP!!! ENOUGH!!! That's all I can say to the council slate now known as "Losers Begging for Change, Any Kind of Change...Please". How pompous is Calvin "I deserve to be a councilman because I live in my grandfather's house" Coles? He declared after his latest loss that the real losers are the citizens of Hackensack. What doesn't he get? HACKENSACK VOTERS DIDN'T ELECT YOU ON ELECTION DAY! AND NOW YOU LOST AGAIN! The voters' wishes were upheld by the court after you sued to try to steal a council seat. Based on the actions of you and your associates since the election, I can only assume that you will continue to waste our taxpayers' money by appealing your latest loss in your misguided attempt to undermine our City Council and prevent them from making progress. Here's my best advice: Build your resume by adding 4 more years in your grandfather's house. Then the voters will surely look favorably on your candidacy in 2009. Oh, and maybe you can actually become involved in community activities. There's a thought!

Offline irish eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2005, 03:51:49 PM »
as always the "RAG" never ceases to amaze me...they went through all the trouble of defending their headline after election day....bad habits are hard to give up.....let's see...do you think possibly their circulation has gone down....they start their own little town paper b/c they are threatened by the County Seat...Hats off to the County Seat, that has to make you feel good...but take heed record...Calvin Coles will continue to have the paper delivered to his "grandfather's house"...so you can sleep at night

Offline devil

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2005, 07:52:42 AM »
So, since Dunn got his ass kicked again do you think he will keep his promise and move out of town. This is obviously such a bad place to live that it is a shame to have him pay taxes here. I hear that Juno Alaska is nice this time of year.

anything