Author Topic: City Council Election (Updated 8/3/05)  (Read 139884 times)

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: City Council Election (Updated 3/18/05)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 07:34:23 PM »
this election is basically a joke-citizens for change was stronger 4 years ago with the bakery lady at the top of the slate
they stand for nothing except negativity
maybe new visions is inexperienced-but at least theyre community people-that means something-
moral of story?
take new visions and "give the points"

Offline Netnick

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 09:46:09 AM »
Did anyone receive any of these phone polls? I'm curious what the "questions" were.

Offline Philip Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 10:03:22 AM »
In today's Record.

Regarding "Hackensack Council slate criticizes phone poll" (Page L-3, April 15):

It is no mystery to Hackensack residents that New Visions for Hackensack is being controlled by the Bergen County Democratic boss, Joseph Ferriero. Just look at its first campaign finance report. It includes large amounts of money given to the Democratic Advertising Co., which is located at the same address as Bergen County Democratic headquarters.

If candidates don't know what the group of people backing them are doing now, what will happen if they are elected? Hackensack is non-partisan, so let's keep it that way.

Philip Roberts

Hackensack, April 19

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 09:04:31 AM »
Does anyone really see a challenging race for Mayor and Council this year? 

All I see is information regaring the "New Visions" ticket ( gotta say - I didnt appreciate the negative attack mailing this weekend). Perhaps the spin talk that the County Democratic engine is funding this party is true.

Where is "Citizens for Change"?  An occassion ad or lawn ornament along the way - but that's it. 

And the third option of two people - do you really think you have any chance of winning - especially if your slate is only two people.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 09:35:58 AM »
Latest story: 
Candidates say 16 years of Zisa is enough

See more stories in first post.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 09:41:12 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 11:28:36 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: City Council Election (Updated 4/27/05)
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 07:38:43 PM »

Offline Louie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 01:47:27 PM »
I see that Melfi is going to use his expertise as an accountant to watch how our tax dollars are spent.  When was the last time Hackensack Baseball (where he has been an officer for a number of years) opened their books for an outside audit?  From what I hear, even their members aren't allowed to see the books.

Offline 6to10

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2005, 08:19:27 AM »
Maybe Joe Ferrero and the county politicians will help fix the city once he gets his people elected.  It is a shame that some of these canidates are still backed by the old political bosses

Offline Jwalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 10:04:40 AM »
Im hearing these rumors about a Ferriero influence in New Visions but yet no one can point to anything definative. Yes, New Visions has more money.  Isnt it possible that the reason for this is simply because more people are backing them?

New Visions record speaks for itself.  These are community people who have put in their time.  No one can point to any facts to show that they are acting out of any motivation other than to serve the community and not the county politcal machine. Beside, connections at the County level would be good. This is the time to establish a positive working relationship with the county. This can happen without "selling out" and New Visions seems well-equipped to that.

As far as the "Change" ticket, the Canestrino element seems far more "old timey" than anyone on New Visions.  The negativity on the Changes ticket is obvious.  Dunn & Company are anything but the "team players" this City needs.  New Visions had an obligation to bring to light serios charges of police brutality.  Not to do so would be irresponsible.  The public has to know the history of those who seek to lead it. 

New Visions is the way to go. 

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005, 06:20:59 PM »
yes, emil doth protest too much!

Anthony

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 09:03:08 PM »
At this point it seems obvious which slate will win the upcoming election.  I hope they could answer some of my questions in the brochures they keep sending to my house.

1.  Why hasn’t the upcoming tax reassessment been mentioned?

2.  What’s being done to address the overcrowding in the schools or the possible takeover of the schools by the state?

3.  Why hasn’t a solution to the homeless problem and whether or not a shelter will be built been addressed?

4.  What happened to the construction of the county police station on the Goldberg site?

5.  Why do so many families in town choose to send their children to private or parochial schools and why isn’t anybody running for council embarrassed by this?

6.  What is being done to create harmony and community among the many cultures of people in town?  What opportunities do we have to share the richness of our diversity?  No parades on Main Street, no celebrations of heritage, just more wasted opportunities to set Hackensack apart from the rest.

7.  How are the recreation programs going to be reorganized?  Can the dedicated people that run the jr. sports programs in town check their egos at the door, pool their talents, and create a sports board that would organize all the jr. sports programs in town together?  (Besides football and track, how many HHS sports programs are CONSISTENTLY in The Record’s top 25?)

8.  At what point do we curtail the expansion of the Hackensack University Medical Center?

I’ve received many flashy brochures from the candidates but none that address a particular issue with much detail.  WHY?  One brochure has all of the candidates pictured with their shirt sleeves rolled up to represent them working hard.  Show me a picture of them cooking a meal or mopping the floor at the homeless shelter.  I don’t need to see candidates pictured in The County Seat reading to children.  I need to see candidates spending time tutoring teenagers so that they have a better chance to get into college.  I don’t want to hear more ideas about Main Street.  I want to see pictures in The County Seat of more quality stores opening on Main Street.

I give all the credit in the world to the people running and sacrificing tremendous amounts of time for the City of Hackensack but there’s a tremendous amount of power that comes with being on the council and especially mayor.   Many people want the title but aren’t prepared for the job at hand or the criticism that comes with the territory.  Answer some of the questions I’ve asked, make the changes that will make the city better, then wear the title with pride.  Good luck to all!

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 09:48:51 PM »

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2005, 12:27:55 PM »
1.  Why hasn’t the upcoming tax reassessment been mentioned?

2.  What’s being done to address the overcrowding in the schools or the possible takeover of the schools by the state?

3.  Why hasn’t a solution to the homeless problem and whether or not a shelter will be built been addressed?

4.  What happened to the construction of the county police station on the Goldberg site?

5.  Why do so many families in town choose to send their children to private or parochial schools and why isn’t anybody running for council embarrassed by this?

6.  What is being done to create harmony and community among the many cultures of people in town?  What opportunities do we have to share the richness of our diversity?  No parades on Main Street, no celebrations of heritage, just more wasted opportunities to set Hackensack apart from the rest.

7.  How are the recreation programs going to be reorganized?  Can the dedicated people that run the jr. sports programs in town check their egos at the door, pool their talents, and create a sports board that would organize all the jr. sports programs in town together?  (Besides football and track, how many HHS sports programs are CONSISTENTLY in The Record’s top 25?)

8.  At what point do we curtail the expansion of the Hackensack University Medical Center?

I couldnt agree more! Will we ever get these questions answered?

My biggest concern with "New Visions" is that with such a background in the city public schools - where's the investment return with our tax increases and where are the improvements to our failing schools? What responsibility do they have that has led up to our current problems?

Offline average Joe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2005, 09:13:03 PM »
wetochink-you need to attend a board of ed meeting-you raise good questions about the school system-buit believe it or not-there are answers
so long as you judge the system by standardized tests that are geared for middle class white kids you will never be satisfied with our school system-and thats a shame-because its a fine one
in early june the hs holds the top 20 dinner-and within a day or so they televise the event on the school tv station-do yourself a favor watch it-you will see that our kidds are being accepted into the best colleges in the world-and im including ivies
but why do the many people who post here continue to look to the city council on questions regarding the school system? the school system is a distincr entity
i prefer that our city councilkeep a hands off policy-know what happens when politics invades a school system?-check out whats been going on in bogota-i dont want that here-and neither do you